Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Amusing names 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

addy

Technical User
May 18, 2001
GB
Not 100% sure if this post is relevant to this board but anyway, has anyone come across people with amusing names? Genuine cases only.

The reason I ask, I got an email from my friend yesterday who had to make a phone call to a Mr Hugh Deeney.

Now there's a guy who could get out of any situation.

And let's not forget Dry Prong, Louisiana. (No snickering, now, the name's origin is more prosaic than you think).

I was with EyeBeeEm back in the 80's, and I went to Boca Raton on a temp assignment. Not one of the people I talked to down there realized what the name meant in Spanish.

Santa, you missed Los Osos ("The Bears"), California.

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

Actually, "ratón" means "mouse" not "rat" (that would be "rata"), but it is an odd name for a place nevertheless.

I enjoyed watching Aaron Wilburn making fun of names, although he is not as hilarious as some posters here.

Hi,
I also think Pennsylvania has a 'Climax' as well..
I guess you go through Intercourse on the way to Climax??

On the Eastern Shore of Virginia there is
'Onancock' - you folks who read your Bible should now be giggling...

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Also on the eastern shore of Virgina is Norfolk. Not too bad unless you pronounce it the way residents want it pronounced. Now to do it here without getting banned... Um... it's nor-fock.

Just south of it in NC is Nutbush Creek, just off Rocky Bottom.

How about Grosse Tete, Louisiana? I can only guess what that means, although it's been hinted at by many cajuns.

I've also heard in Texas you can sleep in Comfort between Edna and Alice (all town names).

World please meet:
First Name: Autumn

Middle Name(s):Sullivan Corbett Fitzsimmons Jeffries Hart Burns Johnson Willard Dempsey Tunney Schmeling Sharkey Carnera Baer Braddock Louis Charles Walcott Marciano Patterson Johansson Liston Clay Frazier Foreman

Last Name: Brown

So would that be Autumn S.C.F.J.H.B.J.W.D.T.S.S.C.B.B.L.C.W.M.P.J.L.C.F.F. Brown?

Have a problem with my spelling or grammar? Please refer all complaints to my English teacher:
Ralphy "Me fail English? That's unpossible." Wiggum

This is more of an amusing pet name than a "people" name... but an acquaintance through work has a pet snake whose name is "Trouser".

Hi,
Just a little nitpick:
Norfolk ( orig. North Fork or North Folk, I think) is in eastern Virginia not on the Eastern Shore ( a separate area on the DelMarVa penninsula ( Delaware, Maryland and Virginia))..

But you are correct about the 'real' way to pronounce it.

( Its how we told tourists from natives)

[profile]

If you want town names, some of the best are in Pennsylvania. Paradise is halfway between Blue Ball and Intercourse (or maybe the other way around). (All actual names of towns.)

I worked in child support enforcement for a number of years and privacy laws prevent me from sharing the better names. [sad]

A fellow college student Sandy ... married Mike Beach to become Sandy Beach.

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

If you're in Ohio, you don't have to, but you can go through Hell on your way to Paradise (both towns in Michigan.) BTW, stop in Hell to get some ice cream. The best damned ice cream I ever had was in Hell.

--Gooser

Hell, Michigan. Is that where this picture comes from?

hellfrozeover.png

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

John said:
Hell, Michigan. Is that where this picture comes from?
Hell, Michigan is about 30 miles northwest of Ann Arbor, Michigan. Hell is in the western portion of the Pinckney State Recreation Area...Frankly, it makes Hell look pretty attractive.

...And, yes, Hell freezes over several times a year.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Just an aside, as Virginia doesn't appear to have a north, south or west shore, is the 'eastern' in 'eastern shore' redundant? I guess it could be the name of an area? Can anyone confirm?

No real howlers in the name stakes, but the oddest name I've seen here in Scotland is Pocahuntas which seems an odd choice when compared with the usual Mary's, Margaret's and Senga's (Scottish variation on Agnes believe it or not). The poor girl must have had fun at school!

I want to be good, is that not enough?

I'm sure most of you are familiar with Paige Davis, the former hostess of Trading Spaces. Did you know that her husband's last name is Page? Needless to say, she chose to keep her last name instead of taking his.

If we've moved on to place names...
normal_ATT00913.jpg

{sorry - feeling childish}

soi la, soi carré
ymca.gif

Hi,
IIRC, The Virginia part of the DelMarVa is to the
east from the main part, hence that part of Va is called the 'Eastern Shore' locally...
See that area here..( Highlight by Mouse-Over and see the details)

[profile]

Turkbear - thanks, that clears things up!

I want to be good, is that not enough?

In Covington, Kentucky, right across the river from Cincinnati, there was a store named Liquor Quick. I made sure to take a picture of it [tongue] <-pun intended

[blue]Never listen to your customers. They were dumb enough to buy your product, so they have no credibility. - Dogbert[/blue]

<off topic>

DrLex, Je crois que je suis aussi le carré pour comprendre votre signature. So, could you please help me understand your signature? My attempts have failed so far.

</off topic>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Hey, Dave! According to Babel Fish (French to English), it means

I believe that I am also the square to include/understand your signature

So now if someone could translate that to make some sense...

< M!ke >
Acupuncture Development: a jab well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back