Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Amusing names 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

addy

Technical User
May 18, 2001
GB
Not 100% sure if this post is relevant to this board but anyway, has anyone come across people with amusing names? Genuine cases only.

The reason I ask, I got an email from my friend yesterday who had to make a phone call to a Mr Hugh Deeney.

Now there's a guy who could get out of any situation.

I drove through a place (NY state) with a nice drop down to a lake on the right of the road.. The town's name? "Peekskill".

I also thought that maybe I'd gone too far when I saw "Valhalla, next right".

Tao Te Ching Discussions : Chapter 9 (includes links to previous chapters)

I'm sorry, Addy, to take your thread off into the weeds, but following the few recent posts relating to "Man's Place in Marriage", I couldn't resist sharing my favourite treatise on "Manhood" taken from "The Man Song" (If you want the 1.2MB .wav audio copy, send me a request via my signature.)
The Man Song said:
Ladies and Gentlemen, The Man Song

(Sexy Female Background Singers): He’s the Man, He’s the Man

(The Man):
I don’t take no crap from anybody (else but you).
I wear the pants around here (when I finish with your laundry).
’Cause I’m a guy you don’t wanna fight
When I say “Jump”, you say “Yeah, right”
I’m the Man of this house (until you get home).

(The Man):
What I say, goes around here (right out the window).
And I don’t wanna hear a lot of whining (so I’ll shut up).
The sooner you learn who’s Boss around here, (the sooner you can give me my orders, Dear)
’Cause I’m Head Honcho around here (but it’s all in my head)

(The Man):
And I can have sex anytime (that you want)
’Cause I’m a man that has needs (but they’re not that important)
So don’t expect any flowers from me (‘cause, if I’m not mistaken, you prefer jewelry).
I’m the King of my Castle (when you’re not around).

(The Man):
And I’ll drink and watch sports whenever I wanna (get in trouble).
And I’ll come home when I’m good and ready (to sleep on the couch).
’Cause a Man’s gotta do what a Man’s gotta do
And I’m gonna do
(whatcha tell me to)
Because I’m the Top Dog around here (but I’ve been neutered).

(Sexy Female Background Singers): He’s the Man, He’s the Man…You Da’ Man

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

This thing's gotten pretty long anyway, Dave. Why not repost into a new thread?

< M!ke >
I am not a hamster and life is not a wheel.

Done, Mike...Good suggestion.[2thumbsup]

Now, back to "Amusing Names"...

[santa]Mufasa

My neighbor's name was Fillmore Crank. His full name Fillmore Pajeau Crank IV - all by himself!

Dave: I recently attended a friend's wedding, and his bride's father offered him some advice during his speach.

He said: "When you are wrong, admit that you are wrong. And when you are right.... keep quiet".

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Ah, Fee, How true!

[santa]Mufasa

Going from bad to worse:
I went to school with a guy named Steve Berry. He once told me that his middle name was Oliver because his father had a sick sense of humor. I didn't see anything wrong with it until he pointed out that his initials were S.O.B.

Another girl I new from school had the unfortunate initials of S.T.D. In her parents' defense, the term wasn't in use when she was born.

I once knew a guy name David Hayr (pronounced "hair"). When I met his father, I called him Mr. Hayr. He asked me to call him by his first name, Dick. I never could bring myself to do it.

A former coworker told me about somebody she went to college with. The poor girl was born to parents with the last name of Semen. To make matters worse, they decided to punish their daughter by naming her Love. Actually, her full name was Love Joy Semen, which really doesn't help.

I've often felt that there should be somebody who can step in on the child's behalf and reject cruel names. Sometimes, it borders on child abuse. (such as Boy Named Sue by Johnny Cash)

Once worked with a sales rep named Richard Devine, who, of course, went by Dick.

Then there was a girl in college named Robin Hood.

When I was in the military, there was a Kenny Rogers (who went by Buck).

I have also met Jonathan Swift and Glen Campbell, neither of which achieved the degree of fame of their name-alikes.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Ophila Rass

< M!ke >

I had a friend George Teats who used to joke about naming his kids Seymour and Ophelia

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

When I was at LSU, there was a photographer for the campus paper named Sterling Silver.

There used to be a local Eye Doctor in New Orleans whose first name was Monica. She married another doctor whose last name was Monica. You guessed it - she took his name and became Dr. Monica Monica.

And one more. We used to have a local florist name Rieth Florist. They named their daughter Holly!

Ah, yes, Dr. Monica Monica, who ran for the US House. I remember Charles Osgood on the radio saying he was confused by Monica Monica's moniker [rofl].

Solum potestis prohibere ignes silvarum.

SantaMufasa said:
...and my personal favorite joke on the Yanquis:
Back in settlement days, the sheriff in San José kept a pretty tight chain on vice in his town. When he would catch a "Lady of the Evening" plying her trade, he had her shipped off to the "Red Light District" way out in the boondocks, affectionately called "1000 Whores", which, in Spanish is "Mil Putas". Today, that part of town is known by its more politically-correct, non-descript variation, Milpitas.

Although that's a funny story, I'm gonna have to call you on it. Can you list a source for this?

According to Wikipedia:
The name Milpitas is a variation of the plural diminutive of milpa, a Mexican Spanish word for "corn field." The proper diminutive form of milpa, though, is actually milpilla, not milpita. Thus, in Mexico, several towns and villages have the name Milpillas, but there is no Milpitas in Mexico. The word milpa is a word derived from Nahuatl milli, meaning "agricultural field" and pan. meaning "on." The name Milpitas literally means "little cornfields," reflecting the farming background of the area. The name was originally given to a rancho in the southern half of the modern-day city, but the name was later given to the entire surrounding area.

I call shenanigans! Everybody grab a broom! ;-)

Wiki said:
The name Milpitas literally means "little cornfields,"
This would get a big chuckle out of the locals. This is yet another case of a contributor "PC Whitewashing Wikipedia".

All I can say is, go to "freetranslation.com" and enter "mil putas" and see what you get. Enter any form of the Wikipedia cover-up and see if you can find anything remotely resembling "little cornfields."

Let me know what you find.

[santa]Mufasa

Santa,

I went to that site, selected Spanish to English, and entered the word "milpa". The translation of "milpa" to English is "cornfield".

In Spanish, it is a common practice to use a suffix of "ito" or "ita" to mean (roughly) "little". For instance, in English we might use "Mike" and "Mikey", but in Spanish, you would use "Miguel" and "Miguelito".

It seems very plausible to me that beginning with "milpas" for cornfields, a city could be named "milpitas". In fact, this seems more plausible than starting with "mil putas" (and I'm not disputing the meaning of this phrase) and having it change to a single word with a different vowel.

Also, having lived the vast majority of my life in that area, I believe that I would have heard this bit of folklore if it were true.

(Still can't figure out why anybody would name a city Los Banos though.)

Using Alta Vista Babel Fish Translation, you get:

thousand putas

Big help, huh? ;-)

< M!ke >

KG said:
...having lived the vast majority of my life in that area, I believe that I would have heard this bit of folklore if it were true.
Strangely, having lived most of my life in that area (Mountain View, Menlo Park, Atherton, Alamo, Danville, and Pleasanton), the only derivation I heard for "Milpitas" during those 32 years was the one I shared.

Could it be that San José's "1000 Whores" marked their territory near the "Little Cornfields", and all of this is just an unfortunate play on Spanish phraseology?

...Kinda like when people ask me in Spanish "¿Como está Usted?" my reply is a liguistically playful, "Estoy cansado, casado, y casado." (I'm tired, married, and hunted.)

[santa]Mufasa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back