Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Politically Correct 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thadeus

Technical User
Jan 16, 2002
US
This post addresses the term 'politically correct'.

I only ask that we avoid an actual political discussion and stick to the way the words are used.

So to kick off the discussion, I'll ask, "What does the term 'politically correct' connote to the listener/reader?"

~Thadeus

A "polite", if not patronising, euphemism.

I commend Henry Beard's The Politically Correct Dictionary and Handbook for use in this thread.

Andy
--
"Logic is invincible because in order to combat logic it is necessary to use logic." -- Pierre Boutroux

Politically correct is an insult that rude people use to avoid being polite to other people.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Politically correct" is a bunch of well-meaning people taking a term, in common current useage; determining that it is used as an insult by the ignorant; defining a new, circumlocutous, term to describe the condition - and discovering that becomes an insult. Repeat ad nauseam.

I have a colleague who would once have been described a "deaf", was then "hearing impaired" and, apparently, is now "differently abled". As far as he's concerned, he's still "deaf".

Rosie
"Never express yourself more clearly than you think" (Niels Bohr)

I have a friend who is a Viet Nam veteran. He had his right knee non-surgically removed by some Viet Cong machine gun rounds. With later complications, he had to have his right leg removed above the knee.

He has a standard speech:
"I am not handicapped. I am crippled -- I am the victim of a crippling accident, although 'accident' is not the right word, either. I would be handicapped if and only if I let this leg of mine slow me down."

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

I'm gonna stick my neck out here. I was 'Politically Correct" long before the term was coined. It's just the way my parents raised me.

At the heart of it, Political Correctness is a fine idea - treat people with respect. It comes down to the Golden Rule (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you). That includes, but is not limited to, speech - don't call people things that they don't like being called, just as you wouldn't want others to call you nasty names. [ul][li]Don't walk around calling women 'Toots', slapping them on the butt and asking them to "fetch me a cup of coffee", having assumed that they must be a secretary. [/li]
[li]Don't use derogatory terms for ethnic groups - even if no one of that ethnic group is around. As a white male in the southern US - even a very young one, back before the term PC started being used - it used to be fairly common for me to hear other white males use offensive terms when they were 'among their own kind'. Certainly much more common than it is now.[/li]
[li]Don't laugh and point, or even just stare slack-jawed, when you see a mentally challenged person in public.[/li][/ul]Having said all of that, I do think that things have gone way too far - to the point where I would agree with sleipnir214that Political Correctness is being used as an excuse for censorship.

The way I see it, like so many things in life, moderation is the key. In a world devoid of Political Correctness, I would not have used the terms 'women', 'ethnic groups' or 'mentally challenged' in the above bulleted points. For that reason, I wholeheartedly disagree with SQLSister's assertion that, "Politically correct is an insult that rude people use to avoid being polite to other people".

The term 'Politically Correct' is like that song you hear on the radio that you really like. But then they play it again 3 songs later. Then again 2 songs after that. Before you know it, you're sick of the song and don't ever want to hear it again. The fact that the radio station overplayed the song does not change the fact that you liked it - and probably still would if only you hadn't heard it so much.

I completely agree with rosieb’s point, however. I think this is exactly how it is being taken too far.

Sorry if this post seems a little too political, but I don't think you can separate this term from political ideology when the question posed was, "What does the term 'politically correct' connote to the listener/reader?""

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

[tt]-John[/tt]
The Member Profiles are finally working again!

My friend/colleague doesn't see himself as "handicapped" or "disabled", he just can't hear. He, and we, make allowances for that fact, basic courtesy.

PC terminology somehow implies he is different, or should be treated differently, that's patronising.

Rosie

I, too, had a deaf friend who I simply referred to as...Jason. Well, if the condition came up, I'd say he was deaf. Neither he nor I ever considered him 'handicapped', even though he is a professional music composer. I suppose 'differently-abled' would be fair, given his line of work, but that just seems pompous.

I say I 'had' a deaf friend because, luckily, he was able to regain his hearing after spending several years deaf!

[tt]-John[/tt]

It is not "Politically Correct" to treat everyone with respect. To treat all around you with respect, and to treat others as you, yourself, would be treated is morally correct.

We, the people, need to choose. Shall we endeavour to be correct, by opening our understanding to our fellow man? Or shall we ingratiate all around us, that our darker selves are never discovered?

So, to answer the original question: The term "Politically Correct" connotes an ulterior motive. It raises suspicion of an unctuous nature. Politicians seek a commonality with all people. They cannot afford to offend on simple issues of "he" and "she", lest their self-promotion be derailed before the money-train reaches the station.

In practice, however, it cannot be brushed aside so simply. It is difficult to tell, without background information, who the "Politicians" are and who the "Moral Paragons" are.

[red]Note:[/red] [gray]The above comments are the opinionated ravings of Mr3Putt. As such, Mr3Putt accepts no responsibility for damages, real or contrived, resulting from acceptance of his opinions as fact.[/gray]

It's not the words used, it's who uses them and how. A colleague can refer to me as a "girlie" and ask me to make coffee, it's a joke - we both know it. From someone else, who meant it, it would be deeply insulting.

As anotherhiggins said, it's down to respect for individuals. If you genuinely respect them, it doesn't really matter what words you use because you won't knowingly use offensive words - if by accident, or ignorance, you do use an offensive word - it won't be seen as such.

Rosie

This site has some interesting information on the term. (You'll have to scroll down to "Politically Correct".)

I had never heard the " ... urban myth ... that the concept of politically correct was invented in the 1990s by conservatives who wished to lambaste liberals."

The site points to usage of the phrase as early as 1793! But it did gain usage and, IMHO, take on a new meaning in the mid 80's - 90's.

rosieb, I agree. I kid around with close friends by using deeply offensive words that I would *never* use around strangers. But my friends know that I'm kidding and they call me names right back.

[tt]-John[/tt]

*EDIT to last post*

This link will take you directly to the right part of the page.

[tt]-John[/tt]

If I have to worry about whether what I say may offend someone, then either I am dishonest with myself, or I consider my audience ignorant, or maybe I am simply an insecure guy... huh... person.

Out of curiosity, my father refers to some people as "Negros" because that's what he was taught was polite, would that offend anyone?

Dimandja I guess that's mainly aimed at you, because you've said you're from DR Congo, though I'm making a massive assumption here.

Rosie

You are correct, Rosie, DR Congo it is, and black I am. Negro too, I may add; not that it makes any difference to me.

So, I suspect I would not be offended at all, because "that's what he was taught was polite".

Consider this: "Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself." -- Lois McMaster Bujold

Thanks Dimandja [smile]

Rosie

That reminds me....

I've got some older relatives 'out in the country' who use the term 'colored'. When I was young it made me cringe. But as I got older I realized that that is the term they were taught was polite. The NAACP does, after all, stand for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. I guess that *was* the 'progressive' term several decades ago.

But, man, it just sounds kinda redneck to me.

Well, time to head home. Have a great weekend guys.[cheers]

[tt]-John[/tt]

anotherhiggins said:
Treat people with respect.

Don't use derogatory terms for ethnic groups - even if no one of that ethnic group is around.

Don't laugh and point, or even just stare slack-jawed, when you see a mentally challenged person in public.
My parents told me the exact same things. I mean, this is common sense! When we use "politically correct" phrases, aren't we only trying to earn medals for being astute (as opposed to being decent)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back