Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Correct Grammer or Context?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hairlessupportmonkey

IS-IT--Management
Aug 26, 2009
NZ
I saw a sign in a petrol station that stated

"All petrol thefts will be prosecuted"

Now technically I would have thought that the petrol thief would be prosecuted and not the theft itself.

So in my little mind

"All Petrol thieves will be prosecuted" should be the correct statement?

True or False?

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

The speeds for unmarked roads the UK are.

Road with street lights 30
single carriageway 60 (40 for lorries)
dual carriageway/motorway 70 (58 for lorries)

obviously speed limit signs override these defaults.

using the (/) de restriction sign does mean that the gov. could change the national speed-limits without the cost of replacing all of the current road signs (as they did in the early 70's when the current limits were set)

Computers are like Air conditioners:-
Both stop working when you open Windows

IPGuru:
Why 58 and not 60 for lorries?

In Louisiana, the speed limits are as posted, but generally 70 MPH on interstate highways, 55 on other rural highways. The interstate speed limit drops to 60 in the cities (and sometimes is lower).

-- Francis
The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office.
--Robert Frost

I am not sure it may actually be 60 but all uk registered lorries (I think there is a weight limit here as well but not sure if it is >3.5 ton or >7.5 ton)have to be restricted to 58mph so that pretty well fixes it anyway.

Computers are like Air conditioners:-
Both stop working when you open Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back