Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Amusing names 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

addy

Technical User
May 18, 2001
GB
Not 100% sure if this post is relevant to this board but anyway, has anyone come across people with amusing names? Genuine cases only.

The reason I ask, I got an email from my friend yesterday who had to make a phone call to a Mr Hugh Deeney.

Now there's a guy who could get out of any situation.

Another NC name.... In the elevators all over the state, there is a little inspection sheet showing when it was last inspected, and the name of the inspector general (not the actual title, but I can't remember that part) is Cherie Berry.

Sorry, Mike, my comment should have been one word different to help make more sense:
Je crois que je suis trop de carré pour comprendre votre signature.

English: I believe that I am too "square" to understand your signature.
How's that?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Right, I find your wit to be neither acute, nor obtuse

--Gooser

Sorry, English is not my native language.
Buty what's with the Paige Davis name?

medic said:
what's with the Paige Davis name?
Because, had she chosen to take her husband's last name (Page), she'd be Paige Page (pronounced the same in English).

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

<OT>
Rick,
Bang on!
Dave,
See RickBerem's post. I was thinking of swapping it for 'Tu chupa cabra. tengo pruebas', but I thought it be unsuitable in a professional forum and perhaps lessen the impact of any of my more sensible/helpful postings...[wink]
</OT>

soi la, soi carré
ymca.gif

Organist at a funeral I went to yesterday was named Nanette Lamb. I wonder if she goes by Nan?

[blue]Never listen to your customers. They were dumb enough to buy your product, so they have no credibility. - Dogbert[/blue]

One of my friends runs a construction business, specializing in trenching and excavating.

The name of the outfit:

"John, the Town Hoe

Not really a funny name - more of a clever ad campaign.

There is an HVAC contractor in New Orleans - Róbert Refrigeration. Since Mr. Róbert's family is originally from France, their logo on all their trucks and on TV is a picture of a polar bear rowing a boat (row-bear). That's how it's pronounced (not like Robert, as in Bob). Ties in nicely with the business.

In the UK, there's a brand of processed turkey meat produced in Norfolk.

The proprietor of this company is alleged to have said, in his Norfolk accent (think of an ooh-aarrr type yokel voice):

"Bernard Matthews Turkey Burgers - they're Norfolk 'n' good!"

I guess you have to read it out loud, in a yokel accent.

Oh, and replace the 'ol' in Norfolk with a 'u',

[hammer]

oh shame...

Chris

Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?
- Stephen Wright

Reminds me of the 5-a-side football team we encountered once - the Norfolk Enchants. When I worked for the (now defunct) Ministry of Ag Fish and Food, the Head of the Fisheries Divison was one Mr Dolphin.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Actually, for that HVAC company, I had the accent on the wrong vowel - it's Robért Refrigeration.

And now they have a web site with a picture of the aforementioned ursine.

I have a lighter with the name of the convienence store my brother purchased it at named "Kum & Go"

[thumbsup2] Wow, I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time.
I think I've forgotten this before.

I attended high school with a fellow by the name of Harry Tongue IV - to think there were 4 generations of the same name.

I keep remembering these things.

Before we got married, my wife and I went to the archdiocesan office for a marriage seminar. We passed by the office of vocations, whose director was Father DePriest.

A 'marriage seminar' sounds an interesting concept, giving the impression of a constructive discussion around the topic.

Whereas in truth we all know that following the vows, it's more a case of 'marriage lecture' delivered by the blushing bride.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

It's pretty much a wake-up call to the bride and groom. If you have unrealistic expectations for marriage, then don't at all be surprised when things don't work out.

No such expectations here, BTW - 1 month and 7 days until our 21st anniversary.

Ken said:
...it's more a case of 'marriage lecture' delivered by the blushing bride.
Reminds me of the advice I received from a "marriage veteran" attending our wedding reception many years ago:
Marriage Sage said:
Dave, don't bother remembering your mistakes...There's no use in two people never forgetting them.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Then there's The Married Man's Prayer:

I'm a man. I can change. If I have to. I guess.

< M!ke >
I am not a hamster and life is not a wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back