Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Amusing names 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

addy

Technical User
May 18, 2001
GB
Not 100% sure if this post is relevant to this board but anyway, has anyone come across people with amusing names? Genuine cases only.

The reason I ask, I got an email from my friend yesterday who had to make a phone call to a Mr Hugh Deeney.

Now there's a guy who could get out of any situation.

There is a lady in our choir (a schoolteacher), whose last name is Kidwell. I say she should have become a pediatrician instead.

My favorite funny name is actor Rip Torn.

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

If anyone follows NASCAR, you know where I'm going with this... Dick Trickle.

A few genuine ones I've seen:

Hazel Urine (at least she could change it when she married!)
Annette Curtain (honestly - this one's real :) )
Mr. Shitole

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

I have a couple ( Absolutely true):

Grant Pither ( imagine junior high school )

Len Longerbone
( He is/was Native American Indian and I wonder how they knew at birth)

My favorite, however was

Ophelia Bottom ( attended a very conservative religious College, so it may have never been mentioned)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

There are some good ones in this thread:
thread1256-1170332

I won't repeat my submission. I was already sent to my room once for it.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

When we were preparing to name our first man child, my wife said that she had always wanted to name a son, Michael. I had to be the one to explain to my naïve little "farm-girl" bride why no child of her husband (Dave Hunt) could ever have the name Michael.

I had a cousin with that name and after his naïve (bordering upon stupid) parents found out how much grief my cousin was catching in school, they went through the process of legally changing his name to "Martin".

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

My mother went to school with a girl named Diedre Dreebie. If that were your last name, would you name your daughter Diedre?

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
Pity the insomniac dyslexic agnostic. He stays up all night, wondering if there really is a dog.

Dr. Doctor (Coldwater, MI)
Dr. Payne (High Point, NC [I think, it's been a long time])

How about a place?
Payne Mortuary (they handled my family's funerals)

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Or:

Dr. Scarr (Minnesota)
( Thankfully, not a cosmetic surgeon)

[profile]

Growing up, I was told stories about how folks where she lived used to let my grandmother name their new babies. I had always assumed this was some kind of respect thing; that as a matriarch of the community they asked for and accepted her ideas for what to name their children.

Several years ago I learned that her stint as a baby-namer was when she was a little girl. That makes it all the more puzzling why anyone would take her advice and bestow their newborn with some of the ideas she came up with.

Thanks to Edna Garrison Michael, AKA 'Nonnie', some poor saps went through life with names such as:
-Dorkus (that, at least, is a Biblical name)
-Okus
-Dyrk (pronounced die - rick)

There are others, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

My mother's theory is that people had so many children that they just got tired of coming up with names themselves.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

James said:
Payne Mortuary (they handled my family's funerals)
...What a co-inky-dink...mine, too (at 221 W Main St in Burley)

...And from a religious perspective, I know both an "Elder (Reed) Elder" and a "Bishop (Brent) Bishop".

[santa]Mufasa

I have a friend named Less. Wich wouldn't be bad except his last name is Best. Even that wouldn't be so bad until you find out his middle name is Than.... no lie. Less Than Best. What aweful parents.

My highschool senior teacher got married to a Mr. Mann. So now she's Mrs. Mann. We still call her that. But that's better than what it was before: Abigail Williams (Crucible anyone?)

Sarah
-don't panic, I'm mostly harmless-

My manager at Oracle was Simmie Kastner. She then married a guy whose last name is "Colen"; now, just to "punctuate" her personality, she's "Simmie Colen".

[santa]Mufasa

Sarah said:
I have a friend named Less.
We also know a "Lester Moore", who, of course is "Les Moore". (Why would anyone do that to a kid?)

[santa]Mufasa

The music teacher at Lehi Middle School in Utah is Mrs. Tea. Her twin boys are "Warren" and "Garren"...I guarantee!

[santa]Mufasa

Hi,
There is the old joke about naming babies:

A woman learned that when she delivered twims ( a boy and a girl) that, in the absence of her husband, the hospital let her less than bright brother name them,..
Fearful of what he came up with, she asked what the girl's name was and was told:

Denise

Thinking that not so bad, she asked about the boy and was told:

Denephew

Sorry, couldn't resist...[blush]

[profile]

John said:
Dorkus (that, at least, is a Biblical name)
...not quite...The Biblical name was Dorcas. If they named their kid, Dorkus, it was simply because they (or the kid) may have been themselves "dorks". [smile]

[santa]Mufasa

When I was married the ex and I used to kid my mother with bad baby names.(my last name is Bottomley). Names like Belle, Plumbum, Rock. At one point we said that if we had a boy we would give him a middle name "Lloyd" after a grandfather, but hadn't picked a first name yet. Weeks later we said we had a first name.

Mongo.

DonBott

Does not play well with others

Guarantee and warranty? That is just mean.

A couple of years ago I met a really cool guy at the REI in Denver. My then-girlfriend-now-wife and I were getting last minute supplies for a backpacking trip to the Maroon Bells. Anyway, the camping stove expert's name was Mongo. I asked if he got the nickname from Blazing Saddles. Sadly, his first name is Lloyd and the nickname had followed him since childhood.

--------

I had an uncle named JD. That much is a fact. You all know where this is going, but he always swore to me it was true. For anyone not familiar with what is an urban legend - yet might still have happened to my late uncle - search for "Jonly Donly".

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back