Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Typically British versus typically American given names

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
George Bernard Shaw said:
...Two peoples separated by a common language.
As I contemplated this phrase that characterizes (i.e, characterises) the relationship between "British" and "American" languages, my mind formulated lists of given names that, too, seem to cling to either the Left Side or the Right Side of The Pond. I looked back in my journal while I lived in the UK, and I extracted names of acquaintences whose names are nearly exclusively "Commonwealth Names" versus names that Americans might give to their children:

Male British Names:

Alistair
Adrian
Aidan
Archibald
Cecil
Clement
Clive
Collin (or Colin)
Derek
Desmond
Geoffrey
Geraint
Giles (or Gyles)
Graeme (or Graham)
Horatio
Hugh
Humphrey
Ian (or Iain)
Julian
Liam
Malcolm
Neville
Nigel
Oliver
Owen (or Owain)
Percival
Piers (or Pierce)
Rowan
Rupert
Sebastian
Simon

Female British Names:
Dereth
Edwina
Fiona
Glynnis
Gwyneth

Now it's your turn to either add to my lists, above, or to return the favour and identify names that are nearly exclusively American. To get you started on the American list, here are some American names that came to my mind:

Male American Names:
Randy (obviously a name that no Briton would ever give her/his child!)
Dusty (or Dustin)
Butch

Female American Names:
Buffy

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

I was almost named Vernon, but my mother put a stop to it. I wouldn't have minded it as a middle name, since it's my grandfather's first name. They finally settled on James, but my mom called me Jamie because she really wanted a girl. It stuck, and I don't mind. It's better than Jimmy. To me, anyway.

My dad's side are has/had Vernon, Gladys, Floyd, Gracie, Cissie, Bernie (not Bernard), Harry (not Harold), Bud, and even a Junior.

My GF's father was named Hyman .... glad that fell from popularity.

>> Hyman

Spelling is critical with that one.

Anybody remember the book, The Education of H*Y*M*A*N K*A*P*L*A*N?

-- Francis
Et cognoscetis veritatem, et veritas liberabit vos.

Some names are epicene, though most have fallen to either side, male or female...

e.g. Marion, Maria (female first name and male middle name), Kimberly (mentioned before), Elliot, Hilary...

examples:

Marion - Marion Mitchell Morrison, best known for his stage name: John Wayne
Marion Jones - American Athlete

Kimberley John Hughes - Australian Cricketer.
Kimberly Jones -a clubhouse reporter for the New York Yankees.

Elliott Gould - American Actor.
Elliot Reid, DR. MD - Fictional character "Scrubs"

Hilary James Wedgwood Benn - British Labour Party politician.
Hilary Ann Swank - American actress.

Rory tops the SSA (US Social Security Administration) list, for 2009, as being the most gender neutral name...

the above is FYI and amusement (John Wayne ;-))

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Prognewb: I may be wrong, but I think Harry is the alternative for Henry, not Harold.

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of that, thanks Ben.

The internet - allowing those who don't know what they're talking about to have their say.

Thanks, I didn't know that either. I thought the short for Henry was just Hank.

BTW - a former President of the US 'Harry S Truman' was as named - Harry not short for anything, and the S was just that - he did not have a middle name. This from an excellent biography by David McCollough

Fred Wagner

Fred,

since you brought it up...

The letter S as middle name, was because his parents could not agree on calling him either Shippe or Solomon, from the names of his Grandfathers, Anderson Shippe Truman and Solomon Young. In the south, at the time it was common to commemorate the Grandparents in such a way. Even though, it was just the letter S, Truman himself placed a point after it. (source whitehouse.gov, Fun Facts Section)

Ben

Ben - very cool! I'd forgotten that part of the story, and I did read McCullough's entire book!

Fred Wagner

My father only has a letter, R, for his middle name. His dad apparently thought it would be 'different'.

My wife, Lynn, complains about having a "bisexual" name. I always get a chuckle from that use of the term bisexual.

I used to work with a woman who did not have a middle name. She moved to Texas for a while and claims that they gave her a bunch of trouble over it claiming that it was illegal for a woman to not have a middle name (but that it was acceptable for a man to).

In North Carolina, and I have heard in other Southern states, when a woman gets married the law is that she makes her maiden name her middle name. If you move in from another state that doesn't require this, they will accept your name as is, but you must change it according to their rules if you marry in the NC. I worked with a woman who got caught by this one and changed her name to only reflect her last name and then had to change it again. Unfortunately, they bought their house under the "illegal" name and this has caused problems ever since.

In North Carolina, and I have heard in other Southern states, when a woman gets married the law is that she makes her maiden name her middle name.
I would need to see some little bit of proof of this claim before I buy in. I know of no state that requires anyone do anything with their middle name. In fact every US state allows you to change your middle name to anything you desire so long as you are not attempting to defraud someone.

I was supposed to be Kelly regardless of my gender, but the neighbor claimed it for her daughter about 2 months before my birth. Of course, as these things typically go, we moved apart well before we even knew how to respond to our names... It's funny the trivial factors that can come into naming a baby.

When I grew up I met a male Kelly. His full name is Kelly Green and his oldest son is Forest... oddly his second child is named Paul. :) Go figure.

~thadeus

Regarding naming conventions and middle names, I am not a lawyer, but I am a resident of NC and have known people who have run afoul of this. I have also been told that this is the case by every currently and former married woman I have discussed the subject with, and yes it was more than one.

Noway2,

it is strange, nevertheless, I know that it is customary for this in the US, but not a legal obligation...

Birth name as middle name

In the United States, a recently married person who changes his or her last name to his or her spouse's last name, often also changes his or her middle name to his or her birth name or adds the birth name as a second middle name. However, in daily life, he or she may choose to use only the first name and new last name, or the first name, original middle name, and new last name. Of women who change their last name at marriage, about 25% informally use their birth surname as a middle name.[14] Furthermore, certain cultures refrain from giving females a middle name at birth, with the understanding she will take her husband's family name at marriage, leaving her maiden name as the single middle name.
source: Wikipedia - Married and maiden names

this is what a law firm says about the law in the State of NC:
North Carolina Property and Name Change Laws in Marriage

Per NC marriages laws, the new husband and wife automatically assume certain legal rights and obligations arising from their marriage contract. For example, upon marriage each spouse now has the right to share in the estate of the other. And if children are born to the marriage, they too become eligible to share in their parents' estates. This automatic share in a spouse's or parent's estate can be modified or offset under the terms of a will. Upon marriage, each spouse also becomes obligated to support the other spouse.

It is customary for the bride to change her last name to her husband's upon their marriage -- customary, but not obligatory. NC marriage laws hold that a bride can retain her maiden name with no need for any special legal proceedings. If after marriage, the wife wants to resume her maiden name, she must petition the Superior Court in the county where she resides for a legal change of name. In divorce, a wife can petition the divorce court to allow her to resume her maiden name. Such a petition is always granted and becomes part of the divorce decree. If a woman does not resume her maiden name at the time of her divorce, but at some later time decides she would like to resume her maiden name, then she must petition Superior Court for a legal change of name. You can contact the Clerk of Superior Court in your county for the necessary forms.
source: North Carolina Marriage Laws - Montgomery Family Law

now that does not mean, that local laws (county or munincipal) do not apply, which may be what you are referring to...

Ben

I know that in Georgia, you cannot take a photograph of a married woman with a tattoo.[hide]You cannot take a photograph of anyone with a tattoo...you need to use a camera.[/hide]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

Hi,
Santa!!

Really, that old chestnut...[laughtears]

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

In N.C. the universities are not allow to have sorority houses, just fraternity houses. The reason being is that it is still an active law on the books that it is unlawful for 4 or more (I am pretty sure it is 4) unrelated females to live together because it is considered to be a brothel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back