Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why do some Americanisms irritate people? 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
@strongm,

correct... I had missed that von Friedeberg also signed the 8th May Document... ;-)

in effect, Germany signed three (3) documents of unconditional surrender...

but that is all history now...

back to the thread...

as a child (young'on, kid), in school I was taught the Queen's English, at home I spoke German (mostly) and some smidgin Am. English (step-dad). In 1978, we had moved to El Paso (Texas), and one thing I remember fondly, was the looks on my teacher's face, when I asked if someone had a "rubber" for me...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

flapeyre (Programmer)
20 Jul 11 20:10
Canadian English isn't too different than American English, accent-wise. I used to have a book (can't find it since the hurricane) that quoted a banker from Buffalo, NY:
Quote (Banker):
I know when I'm in Canada. It's just that I can't prove it.

The main differences, the author said, are the rise in inflection at the end of a sentence, which comes across as "eh?", and the pronunciation of a long "o" as "oo" ("going oot and aboot").
-- Francis

Beauty eh?

(Bob and Doug Mckenzie)

not to be confused with

You Beauty!

(Barry McKenzie)
(a hopelessly short entry)

This juxtaposition of vowels (a = eh, you = u) from the northern and southern British Commonwealth strongholds shows just how much the language has to devolve to be understood by all English speakers globally.

Another "easy tell" on the Canadian accent versus an American accent is pronunciation of "been":[ul][li]In Canada: pronounced as Americans would pronounce "bean".[/li][li]In US: a homonym for the word "bin".[/li][/ul]

Canadians apparently have that pronunciation correct since US'ns wouldn't pronounce "seen" as "sin", right?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Don't forget the sun "shawn" yesterday.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back