Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does your Handle mean? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
I know this isn't quite appropriate for this forum, but the forum owner gave me permission to start the topic as a means to help us get to know each other.

What does your handle mean, and how did that become your 'name'?

Elanor's a Hobbit name, antoherhiggins...
;-)

[blue]An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind. - "Mahatma" Mohandas K. Gandhi[/blue]

green zebra with only the last consonant. Green Zebra ("funny looing animal, the color of...........MOney") was a CB handle when I drove a dark green Datsun (what Nissan cars used to be called) 280 Z.

Ah! Thanks, MakeItSo. That's what I get for never having read The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings.

[tt]-John[/tt]

John,

In all your free time, when you aren't helping poor schleps (sp?) like myself, I highly recommend that you read the Tolkien stuff. Anyone who loves language will love "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit." They are simply the most amazing things I've ever read (and re-read, about five or six times!).

Tim

I started reading it when I was 15 and I never stopped...and as humble as my original explanation of my handle made it sound, Elanor means "sun-star" and is the name of a small, golden flower (and Sam Gamgee's oldest daughter).
Too nice a name not to use!
Thanks!
Elanor

Cool because I believe people should be cool to one another. and 3953 is my birthday

As simple as that.

Keep it simple!

When my best friend and I graduated high school (1995) his parents bought him a computer for graduating. It came installed with Prodigy (what ever happened to them anyway?) and that was our first taste of the internet. We tried thinking of clever nicknames for our login handle, and of course everything was taken. After trying about 10 different names to no avail, my friend slammed his fingers down on the keyboard and "kaht" came out. I've used it exclusively for the last 10 years, and it's almost always untaken.

-kaht

Do the chickens have large talons?

Kaht said:
...my friend slammed his fingers down on the keyboard and "kaht" came out...[/b]

How strangely disfigured must your friend's hand appear if his slamming his fingers on the keyboard produced "kaht"? [wink]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

I was mostly just surprised that it was something pronouncable.

-kaht

Mine's easy enough, Kemp's my surname (and the name I use almost anywhere, including real life) and CGDR is taken from an old Napster ad - Corporate Greed Doesn't Rock

I've fortunately been able to keep my Handle through 3 different ISP's and a myriad of forums.

Simply put it explains the reason why I have a job.

I
WoRK
DEaD
PResidents

Essentially, I collect thier portraits. Of course I never get enough Benjamin's in my pocket at any given time.

kaht,

Your handle reminds me of a Raleigh company named Haht Software.

I don't know where the name came from (or how to pronounce it - "Hot" perhaps?). There are no "Hahts" listed in the residential portion of the phone book, and I don't think it's an acronym because it's not in all caps.

Tim

[blue]__________________________________________________
If you need immediate assistance, please raise your hand.
[/blue]

That's interesting [smile]

I guess the correct way to pronounce my handle would be "cot", but I've always pronounced it "cat". I guess it could go either way.

-kaht

Mine's nowhere near eventful. Just the basics...

The initial of my first name + my middlename + the initial of my last name.

S. Nicole,

Welcome to Tek-Tips. I am a bit curious (and if my curiosity is inappropriate, just tell me so or Red Flag my post) but...

Givens:

1) You just joined Tek-Tips today.
2) You are a member of just this forum.
3) Your only post has been to this thread.

So, what was there about this forum and this thread that piqued your interest above anything technical?

Regards,

[santa]Mufasa

SantaMufasa,

I always wondered if Santa got grumpy around other holidays.

Seriously, and I know as a relative newbie myself, that I have a different perspective. Maybe Snicolek just wanted to test the waters, to see if this site was really okay with newbies (it is, Nicole, I assure you). (heck, they've tolerated me since Dec. '04!),

Dave, what do you say to letting a new member "browse" a bit? She might like to check the local dialect before asking a tech question.

Just a thought!
Tim

[/blue]

Silent and Nicole...

I promise I'm not grumpy. (Santa is never grumpy.) I truly was fascinated by Nicole's gravitation to us. I'm delighted that Nicole came here first.

The problem with text-only forums like this is that we lose so much in translation (without the benefit of face-to-face communication). So, please forgive is my post if it came across in any way less than open-armed. I truly was just natural curiosity (that I should perhaps have supressed).

[santa]Mufasa

Sorry Dave,

I realy didn't mean to say you were grumpy.

I, personally, have a very self-deprecating sense of self. I didn't mean to insult you (your response was wonderful, by the way!)

I guess I just wanted a potential TT contributor (which I was, not too long ago) to feel welcome... that's all.

Nicole - open the door, and step inside. Tek-Tips is a remarkable place. You will learn much from the generous gurus who make this place happen. It really is amazing- you can post a question about a seemingly impossible problem, and get a terrific solution! Or, you might get an alternate solution! It's simply too cool to miss! Please stay tuned!

Tim

[/blue]

'Grenage' is a nick from my younger days. I used to play a lot of computer games and unique name was essential, so it was just plucked out of the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back