Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does your Handle mean? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
I know this isn't quite appropriate for this forum, but the forum owner gave me permission to start the topic as a means to help us get to know each other.

What does your handle mean, and how did that become your 'name'?

Which means...

-------------------------------------
• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

maybe PbBottom

Lead-Arsed? [bigsmile]

relmanz2000 = Reliability + Man + Zzzzz that's soooo boring + the year I joined TT

Chris

Varium et mutabile semper Excel

That's such a boring interpetation fo PbBottom, I prefer the one I had where Pb became Peanut Butter.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

KornGeek -
Quite simple actually. My favorite band is Korn (although I like a variety of other music of many different genres). I proudly classify myself as a geek (funny how it's lost its negative connotation).

Once when I was trying to come up with a unique login on a different site, I put the two together. I figured very few Korn fans probably classify themselves as geeks.

Sure enough, it was available. It's been available almost everywhere I've ever tried it. I even have the corresponding Hotmail and Gmail accounts.

It's not what you would think.

"Vampire" is military slang for a cruise missle, which is designated with a "V" symbol on radar displays. Been using it online since the days of BBS. I would have just used "Vampire" but someone here already had it.

Robert

Many years ago I went on a camping trip with some friends. One night, after several beers, we tried to chop up a log for firewood. My friends all fell about laughing when it was my turn to chop, because I "couldn't strike the same spot twice". Since we were all Tenpin Bowlers, the nickname stuck.

It's the name of my company, and relates to genius, muse, and other stuff.

No, I'm not shy. :)

Mine is also from the old AOL days. My first name is Jennifer, and my maiden name begins with a W. I was bound and determined to not have any numbers at the end of my name, so I kept butchering my screen name until I found one that worked. I have never ran across another jennuhw!

[ponytails]

Jomama comes from an old Frank Zappa tune. I use it on all forums and add 46 when I have to.

"Sometimes there isnt a chord ugly enough to express what you want to say, then you just have to use a giraffe filled with whipped cream."
Frank Zappa

pc.gif

Jomama

Mine is a bit of a play on IBM midrange command names. Midnight Programmer (IBM seems to hate vowels). It’s no longer truly fits what I do. Many moons ago, when I was young and foolish, I worked long hours for not much pay and adopted my current “handle”. Over the years the pay went up and the hours have gone down. I still get the occasional “on call, call” but generally, no longer work much past five. But it’s a good handle; I’ve had it for years and years, use it everywhere and won’t give it up.

In college I was in the drum line (the drum section of the marching band for all you non-band geeks out there). Most everyone in the line had a nickname.

During auditions my freshman year, about 30-40 of us went to a restaurant for lunch. I was sitting right across from the only other 'Jon' in the group. We - being college students and unconcerned with the difficulty it would cause - asked for separate checks.

As the waitress went around the table taking orders, she just wrote everyone's name on their ticket for easy sorting later on. This wasn't a problem for most folks, because they could use their nicknames to ensure a unique ID for every person. Jon was just about the only guy who had been on the line for a while without acquiring a nickname. Mainly the upperclassmen were concerned with assigning monikers for all the newbies for intimidation and light hazing. So John, being an upperclassman himself, wasn’t likely to get a nickname at this point.

When the waitress took his order he and I realized that we might mess up her system.

I asked how he spelled his name.

"J-O-N".

"Great" I said, "I spell mine with an 'h'"!

And that was it. Two guys at the table, one of them the drum captain, said, in unison, "H? (Dramatic pause, look at each other) Higgins!"

I think it was the "in unison" part that gave it legs. In any case, that became my name - to the point that for several years after college I would run into people and shock them by telling them my name. Some people who had heard close friends call me 'John' jumped to the conclusion that Higgins must be my last name. A reasonable conclusion, especially given that my actual last name starts with 'H'.

So if you've ever wondered, 'Higgins' has nothing to do with either Magnum PI or My Fair Lady.

Anyway, fast forward to my trying to come up with a login that wasn't taken. Higgins usually is taken, so rather than become Higgins123 on one site and HiGGiNs95 on another site, I tried AnotherHiggins. Low and behold, it is just about always available.

I think I'll cross-post this to the Shaggy Dog Stories thread in Wordplay.

[tt]-John[/tt]

Thanks John, but I'm too dense (or British?) to see the connection [neutral]

Why did those 2 guys say
"H? (Dramatic pause, look at each other) Higgins!"

Chris

Varium et mutabile semper Excel

No one will ever know. It made no sense to me or anyone else at the table. But for some reason, the two of them had the same thought at the same time.

[tt]-John[/tt]

hello all,
ok my name is not what one might think it actually has nothing to do with any "illegal" substances you smoke. in fact it comes from my days in youth hockey. i wasnt that great and every one else on the team was, therefore when a player from the other team flew by me they would say i got burned, this led to toast. i was fine with it since when i scored my first and only goal the whole crowd chanted toast..toast..toast, ah the glory days of pewee hockey

Years ago I was a huge fan of Zena Warrior Princess and somewhat enamored with Hudson Heidi Leick a.k.a. Callisto, Zena’s archenemy. Callisto was taken (as a handle) so I added Ms., hence mscallisto.

Don’t tell my wife!

I too like SQLSister and Pixelchik (from Adobe Photoshop)
they are creative and roll nicely off the tongue.

Stu Mills

Well, I think I've posted all of 3 messages here so far, so none of you know who I am. However, I thought engaging in some friendly banter about my handle would be fun.

My last name is Sutphen. It's an american-ized version of Van Zutphen, and its alternate spelling is Zutfen. Zutphen is a history rich province in the Netherlands, and in recent years I have enjoyed reading about said history.

I had many handles before this one, but I used to play EverQuest back when I was in school, and could just ignore responsibility. =P Getting a character name on EQ was a lot like getting a screen name for AOL, so I just plugged in the variant spelling of my last name, and it's stuck ever since.

I have friends in my state that I met online that slip and refer to me as Zutfen from time to time, as it became, essentially another name I respond to. Creepy and cool at the same time. =)

If you look at my signature you can probably guess most of mine. My handle comes mainly from the fact that I'm a dragon nut (I collect almost anything dragonish). However most of the common variations on dragon are usually taken. And since my last name sounds similar to dragon, I just took that and added my first two initials (my middle name is Stevenson). It's usually available.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

I suppose I have one of the more boring handles... Just my first name and last initial. I don't have the imagination to come up with anything interesting or cool like you guys, and I'm not enough of a dork to call myself something computer-related (no offense to anyone with computer-related handles)... Just me... Period.

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back