Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does your Handle mean? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
I know this isn't quite appropriate for this forum, but the forum owner gave me permission to start the topic as a means to help us get to know each other.

What does your handle mean, and how did that become your 'name'?

Explaining my handle (dcliff) is very forthright.

It is derived from my first and middle names (Donald Clifford).

:-D

Went to see London based indie group Echobelly play a gig in Cardiff a few years ago. Unfortunately for them, Blur were playing Cardiff on the same night so there was me, my mate and about 40 or 50 other people stood in the 'crowd'. We got a bit of banter going with them and after being a bit cheeky due to a few drinks, myself and my friend had the song Angel B dedicated to us by the singer. We were big fans so we were elated. Not used the handle before, needed something new for tek-tips and that was the first thing that popped into my head.

Gez

Sorry, did I say something wrong? Pardon me for breathing which I never do anyway so I don't know why I bother to say it Oh God I'm so depressed - Marvin, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

My handle comes from my cats name - I couldnt think of anything else when I needed a handle.

He was named by my mother who likes Dr Suess

For the record, he's ginger without any white patches, weighs about 12 pounds and humourously mad.

"If it could have gone wrong earlier and it didn't, it ultimately would have been beneficial for it to have." : Murphy's Ultimate Corollary

My handle is taken from one of the various pronuncuations of Jupiters' eighth moon, Callisto (ka LISS toh). Unfortunately the original spelling was already taken, so I used some imagination.

I've a friend who works in a planetarium, & he's wowed me with the stars & planets.

she who destroys the light

My handle probably confuses some folks, depending on how you think "Aiche" is supposed to be pronounced.

The intent was a phoneticized "H" (is phoneticized a word??)

My last name starts with an H that everyone else on the planet pronounces when saying this name. For some reason, in my family (which has been in North Carolina since 1759 - came down from Virginia) the H is silent. Thus the handle.

And no, I'm not some broken-hearted romantic suffering from a silent "ache" which is how I feared some folks would read it.

I guess I could have gone with SilentH, but then it sounds like I have a speech impediment or that I'm making fun of those who do.

Unlike the trouble some of you had in registering your handles, I had no competition for SilentAiche.

My name has also led to another habit, since I naturally always think T and H should be capitalized. For years, I have ended emails as done below (and I only had one co-worker who caught on- everyone else thought it was sloppy typing even though it happened every time!)

THanks,
Tim

1. I've been "Skip" since I was 5.

2. I spent 20+ years at LTV (Ling-Tempco-Vought)/Northrop Grumman.

3. SkipVought seemed pretty unique.

Hence...

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac, lays awake all night wondering...
"Is there really a DOG?" [tongue][/sub]

I caught what I ought to have bought at Vought; alas, all for naught, for what I got, was fraught with rot as my yacht ran aground on a hi-spot.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac, lays awake all night wondering...
"Is there really a DOG?" [tongue][/sub]

I was asked to explain, so here it is ...

paskuda - something/someone really really nasty and/or ugly in Polish language; it's not necessarily used as offensive word, it's more suitable for jokes.
My wife quite often calls me that :)

paskuda,

Thanks.

I thought it was something of the kind, and didn't think, as was suggested by mscallisto, that it was a last name, and was sure that your first name not Katarzyna ;-).

I asked you if your first language was one of the Slavic languages because of your handle.

Similar word with a similar meaning but somewhat different connotation exists in both, Russian and Ukrainian.

Stella,
Katarzyna Paskuda is a nice girl, but her surname sounds pretty funny for us - just like, for example, Stella Uglyness would sound :)

Since "DaveHunt" is usually taken as a user name, I've had to be more creative.

For many years, I wore a full beard. When my currently-27-year-old daughter was an 7-year-old member of "Indian Princesses", my "Indian" name became "Red Beard". Twenty years later, however, my beard is white and I'm shaped like Santa Claus, thus I've been known amongst friends and co-workers as "Santa Dave". Unfortunately, "Santa Dave" has occasionally been already taken by others as a screen name.

I had to dig deeper. When my six kids were simultaneously teenagers (ages 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 19), they all thought it was too stodgey for their friends to call me "Mr. Hunt", and I didn't like the idea of snotty-nosed teenagers calling me "Dave". Since "Lion King" was the popular movie at the time, one of the snot-nosers called me "Mufasa", and it stuck.

So, combining "Santa Dave" with "Mufasa", the logical progression seemed to be "SantaMufasa". So as popular U.S. commentator, Paul Harvey, would say, "So now you know The Rest of the Story."

Cheers,

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
@ 02:33 (10Feb05) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 19:33 (09Feb05) Mountain Time

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA? Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

paskuda,

I know.

In Russian and Ukrainian it also means something really nasty, but not ugly, and it can be offensive, depending on context.

I said I didn't think it was a last name - too strong for a last name (not that I didn't see last names of this kind, but still).

And I didn't think you were a woman. Besides that you said something about a girlfriend, I guess no woman would deliberately choose a handle like this, even if it was her last name. :-D Unless, of course, she doesn't understand what it means. But you said English is not your first language.

I choose mine because I just excepted Crystal Report Developer position and I dealt with this about 5 years ago.
So I am starting anew almost and CrystalStart sounded right for me.
However yesterday I sent email to my friend from my new account and here what she said:
"Oh gosh I didn't recognize your email address, and at first I thought it was one of those girl looking to meet guy things that come thru once in a while!!! LOL :)
I almost deleted it!!!"

Isn't it hillarious? Do you agree with it?

I used to go by Swansong from the Led Zeppelin & Bad Company record label. I thought the name and image on the records (remember those?) was cool and took it as a handle. Unfortunately a lot of people thought I was a girl and would get (virtually) hit on by guys a lot. Then I learned what a swansong is and dropped it.

Volk is Russian for wolf (of which my daughter is really into) and Wolf 359 is the star system in which Starfleet battled it out with the Borg from The Next Generation.

Hi. I am very new here, so a good time to introduce myself here!

Brownie as my surname is Brown and Belgian... well, guess which country I live in!

Have just taken on the maintenance and support of a bespoke-written system for a small local company, written in Clipper Summer 87. I have never used this before and this is the first programming work I have done since 1989! I am therefore in need of some help and support and am willing to contribute where I can.

Just for the record...

my last name spelled backwards. Acquired in high school where I was called such by my classmates, except their version had an extra "s" at the end.

Very few collisions online.

"Code what you mean,
and mean what you code!
But by all means post your code!"

Razalas

Ummm...I'm not too tall, love mushrooms, and have hairy toes...
Thanks!
Elanor

So, since we're talking about what our handles mean, I'm trying to figure out in which language "Elanor" means, "short, hairy-toed mushroom lover". Do I get any hints? (Perhaps I should start calling myself "Elanor" since I, too, am a short, hairy-toed mushroom lover. [wink])

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
@ 04:21 (02Mar05) UTC (aka "GMT" and "Zulu"),
@ 21:21 (01Mar05) Mountain Time

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA? Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

Hi all,

'Kobe' is the name of my son and with a little 'L33T 5P34K' conversion my new handle was born...

--------------------------- [ponder]
Feed a man to fish and feed him for a day,
Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back