Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does your Handle mean? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
I know this isn't quite appropriate for this forum, but the forum owner gave me permission to start the topic as a means to help us get to know each other.

What does your handle mean, and how did that become your 'name'?

My first name is Erik and my last name starts with E. Someone at work years ago started calling me E, E-man, E-two. It was my first nickname of any kind and I sort of liked it. After a while, it became E². It used to be a unique handle and every place I went it was available. But in the last few years other people have started to use it. It's become the name of a type of batteries, the title of a book (I thought, but I can't find it), and Google gives 29,500 hits for it. [sad]

So, I have a fallback handle, VorpalMage. It doesn't mean much except that vorpal comes from the poem by Lewis Carroll, Jabberwocky. Vorpal is an adjective describing some special kind of sword... it might be technology or magical but it is definitely unique. Mage was just a random word I chose that seemed to go well with vorpal.

P.S. hilfy, I love C.J. Cherryh's books! I've read all I can get my hands on. Her older work is less skillful but I still really enjoy it.

-------------------------------------
• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

Like janecbk, my handle goes back to the AOL days. I never liked it much, but I stick with it for some reason or another.

wun = 1
eye = eye :p
j = first initial

I've been blind in my right eye since I was 12 due to a sports-related injury. The handle could also be short for "one-eyed jack". I used to gamble way too much.

SQLSister

I always thought your handle was the coolest. :)

BJCooperIT

I thought you got your handle from the name of some infamous bank robber whose getaway involved jumping out of an airplane!! It was back in the 70s I think? His name was something close to BJ Cooper. Anyone else know who I'm thinking of? Anyway, it's still a fine handle.

Pretty boring, my network login, firstname (well, no-one except my father calls me Rosemary) and first letter of surname.

Rosie
"Never express yourself more clearly than you think" (Niels Bohr)

SF18C
In a former (much more exciting life) I used to be a Special Forces Engineer, which has the military occupation specialty code of 18C. I too had this handle back in the “old days of dial up” and have kept it ever since.

One downside, I can’t count how many times I have been asked which part of San Francisco, California is #18!!

Now my buddies call me the FAG-IT, former action guy – info tech, but a lot of boards won’t let you have that handle!

SF18C
CCNP, MCSE, A+, N+ & HPCC
Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees!

Mine I've had for years, since my AOL days.

It reeks of sweetness when you learn it's my cat's nickname, I'm almost embarrassed to share. lol

My cat is Onyx, and my husband and I just lengthened it to Onyxpurr as a nickname.

I too have been envious of SQLSister's handle. :)

My original desired "handle" was Jedi. Unfortunately, someone beat me to that name. Therefore, I appended my initials (or a veriation on my initials) to the nick to create JediBMC.

If I were to truly utilize my initials, they would be BPMC, as my actual name is Brian P. Mc Clory. However, I decided long ago to ommit my middle name to fit into the norm of having three letters.

-Brian-
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.

Would not BPM be accurate?

• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

That is a matter of opinion. I treat the Mc as seperate, as it actually should be a seperate word.

-Brian-
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.

My favorite character from the Sci-Fi series "Babylon 5"

I know I did this not too long ago in one of these forums, but now I can't seem to find the post.

I have been Thadeus ever since I got online in the early 90s. Sometimes BrotherThadeus as well as BroThadeus.

It stems from an old joke in Catholic high school. The names of the apostles: Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, Peter, Paul, and Mary, Simon, Garfunkle and Thadeus.

We decided that every group has a prankster and therefore the apostles must have too. Thadeus was the guy in DaVinci's painting holding the bunny ears over Jesus' head. We came up with an entire mythology.

On a side note, my teenage son has appropriated the handles LilThad and OtherThad in his online encounters.

~Thadeus

I got my handle the old fashioned way: I earned it. A round of golf has not begun until I have my first three putt bogey. I pounded my irons all the way down to a 9.6, but my short game was a barrier not to be overcome.

I've got a couple others that I use around the web: BoiledToad, which I use for online gaming; and GSTK (God Save The Kinks) which I use infrequently.

BoiledToad is, like some others here, an ancient AOL last resort. Every mutation of Mike and Little was gone... so I tried BoiledToad in frustration. Voila!

[red]Note:[/red] [gray]The above comments are the opinionated ravings of Mr3Putt. As such, Mr3Putt accepts no responsibility for damages, real or contrived, resulting from acceptance of his opinions as fact.[/gray]

Where I lived when I signed up (High Desert of SoCal)and what I do (telco tek).

Mike C
Switch Tech

I used to use "slighthaze" and a signature of "SlightHaze = Null". Back when I was a bit younger I thought it cool to use this nickname when putting the author line in my code. I got it from friends because of my propensity for spacing out everything else when coding... someone can be saying my name and waving their hands back and forth only a few feet from me and I won't even notice. While this type of mono-focus serves me well in my chosen craft, it is irritating as heck to those attemtping to communicate with me. Rather than write me off, I believe my friends decided it was just easier to call me names to relieve their frustration. [smile]

I dumped the name a few months back and now use my real name (Craig S. Boyd). I began to feel that something a little more business-like would serve me well. I have been a little concerned about the image that handle may have been projecting on me and my business. It is perhaps easier to take Craig seriously than Slight. As an added benefit of the change, when a piece of code breaks that is found to have Slighthaze in the comments as the author I can deny all involment. "Slighthaze? Never heard of him."

boyd.gif

Gwydion is my first name, and I added an M because someone else already had the handle.

Gwydion is an old Welsh name with no known meaning - it does not mean 'shining', that is gwyn. It is best known from the Mabinogian.

------------------------------
A view [tiger] from the UK

My 'orypecos' comes from the linux perversion that avaya uses to program their telephone systems. That name comes the 2 streets that boarder the site in the metro Denver area.

The streets are O and Rypecos?

hmmmm.... my memory is failing me. The 'pecos' is from the street right out side the labs in Denver, but the oryx(I forgot to put in the 'x') was the first thing to come in the designers head when he thought of what comes before 'p', which is 'o', and what starts with with a 'o'? A part of Avaya history(mythology?) that I was told by an engineer.
From the tech manual
"Architecture
The system consists of 2 main components:
n The Oryx/Pecos real-time, multiprocessing operating system. Oryx/Pecos supports
the SPE.

I like chess and robotics, and I couldn't really think of anything else.

--Chessbot

There is a level of Hell reserved for probability theorists in which every monkey that types on a typewriter produces a Shakespearean sonnet.

Bott is a family nickname and I'm Don. If I knew there was going to be a quiz I would have picked something better, maybe PbBottom.

DonBott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back