Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Odd Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinlaeshel

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2005
CA
While creating user accounts this morning, I happened upon a new employee named He Li. I found myself typing the oddest sentence in an E-mail this morning; I thought you people may find it somewhat amusing.

"To avoid this, He’s username will be hli2."

Without proper capitalization, someone may think my grammar skills have totally disappeared on me :)

'Ghoti' cannot be pronounced as 'fish' by the standard rules of Engligh pronunciation. I believe I posted the rules that are violated for this fun hypothetical.

However, your name, since it's your name, doesn't have to conform to the rules of standard pronunciation.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

A rather common first name in Norway, is Odd (24898), another not uncommon name is Even (4965), then of course, there are 28 persons in Norway, with the first name of: Odd Even (why some of them refer to themselves as John when in English speaking countries, I don't know ...)

Roy-Vidar

Probably at some point someone tell them that 'odd' and 'even' actual English words and people decided not to add complication to their rather complicated immigrant's life. IMO

I heard that the most common given name in the world is "Mohammed", and the most common family name is "Chang". Yet, I've never met anyone named "Mohammed Chang".

Thomas D. Greer

I have a good friend who's name is "September". And she wasn't born in September. She's had too answer the questions so many times that she introduces herself as, "Hi, my name is September. Yes, that's my real name. No, I wasn't born in September."

And there's nothing reasonable to shorten that to.

I recall that the most unfortunate naming situation I ever encountered was when I was teaching in California at Condie Junior College in Spring of 1975. Recall that that was the period when Viet Nam was re-unified and The U.S. was inundated with Vietnamese refugees. During that six-month period, our student body became predominantly Vietnamese as we contributed to the occupational retraining of many refugees.

Many of the refugees spoke little or no English and certainly had little or no concept of American culture or idiosyncracies.

On our first day of the Spring term, we went around the classroom, inviting people to introduce themselves. Halfway through the group, I asked a student (as I had done with the others to that point), "What is your name?"

His response was "F*** You".

After calming the class down, my followup reaction was simply, "Pardon Me?"

He repeated his earlier answer showing, me his I.D. card with his given name, "Phuc Yu".

Anticipating the trauma that he would face here in the U.S., both socially and professionally, we convinced him to immediately (then legally) change his name to "Phillip Yu".

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

I have a good friend who's name is "September". And she wasn't born in September. She's had too answer the questions so many times...

Strangely enough, a girl whose name is April, Maya, June, Julia, or Augusta usualy doesn't have to answer all those questions.

One of the nice things about having a nickname is that it lets me cut telemarketer phonecalls short pretty quickly.

My youngest niece, however, ended up with the nickname "LuLu" (her older sister bestowed that on her). You gotta love Southern names...

Chip H.

PS. No, I'm not telling what my legal name is.

My aunt's name was "Florian" (typically a male name) and her husband was named "June" (except for him, always a female name). The couple constantly received mail addressed (incorrectly and annoyingly) to "Mr. and Mrs. Florian Thayn".

As an adjunct to Stella's anecdote of her friend, "September", I recall several years ago (in the late 1990's) during a month-of-May broadcast of the annual Country Music Awards. That year, the Acadamy of Country Music honoured Garth Brooks as their "Entertainer of the Year". Brooks received the award, via satellite, from his then-wife's hospital bedside, where she had just given birth to their daughter, "August".

My younger, pre-adolescent daughter asked, "Why would they name their daughter 'August'?"

I then saw my older, teenaged daughter counting on her fingers while I read her lips, "September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April, May". When she reached "nine" and "May" at the same moment, she quickly put her hands at her side and responded red-faced, "I dunno".

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

Stella's anecdote of her friend, "September"
She is not my friend, she is SamBones' friend.

SamBones said:
I have a good friend who's name is "September". And she wasn't born in September. She's had too answer the questions so many times that she introduces herself as, "Hi, my name is September. Yes, that's my real name. No, I wasn't born in September."

And there's nothing reasonable to shorten that to.

"Hi, my name is September."
"And th.."
"Yes."
"And Y.."
"No."

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

Anybody remember "The Fantasticks"?

Ok, I'm going to my room now.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Hi,

On your way, 'try to remember that time in...' ( you can finish it)

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I also have some relatives in my family with the last name "Pigg". What makes it worse is that their first names are Pat and Patty. Pat and Patty Pigg. Having a dinner party ... "Did you invite the Piggs?"

I was injured while visiting New Zealand. The doctor attending at the hospital was D'Eath. Right on his name tag. Poor guy always had people blanking out the apostrophe....

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back