Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Misinterpreted song lyrics 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjoubert

Programmer
Oct 2, 2003
US
I remember years back when a coworker bought himself one of those daily tear-off desk calendars. This particular calendar had misinterpreted song lyrics for each day of the year. Here's one from the calendar..."Kiss this guy" instead of "Kiss the sky" by Jimi Hendrix.

I'm a big time Jewel fan. While at one of her concerts, while she was singing "Serve The Ego" one of my friends was signing along and seriously thought the song was "Save the Eagles."

This one is from an episode of "Friends." Phoebe was talking about a song that Elton John sang for "...that guy from Who's the Boss." She then started to sing..."Hold me close young Tony Danza." ("Tiny Dancer")

Can anyone think of other misinterpreted song lyrics?

I'm a big time Jewel fan. While at one of her concerts, while she was singing "Serve The Ego" one of my friends was signing along and seriously thought the song was "Save the Eagles."

Must have been tough on the deaf people watching her. :)

It's not fair... to deny me... of the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me...."

hehehe

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

Elvis: "Oh let me be...your Teddy Bear.."

Backing Singers: "Hot Banana, Hot Banana..."

Chris

Don't count the days, make the days count

Muhammad Ali

Hi,
There was a large series of small books devoted to this very subject - the first, I believe, was called 'Pardon me While I kiss this guy' and included the well-known
'Round John Virgin, mother and child' from Silent Night..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

What aboout Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light", which sounds like:

Blinded By the Light said:
Blinded by the Light, wrecked up like a doosher or a roller in the night..

I have no idea what the real lyric is!

Chris

Muhammad Ali

Hi,
They are
From
The chorus of the song features the commonly misunderstood lyric, "Blinded by the light, cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night." ("Deuce" refers to a '32 Ford Deuce Coupe.) Many listeners hear the word "douche" in place of "deuce." Manfred Mann's Earth Band changed this line slightly to "revved up like a deuce" (often misquoted as "wrapped up like a douche") and repeated it much more frequently in their version than Springsteen did in the original; they also omitted parts of the verses and rearranged the order of the remaining lyrics.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

The STAR pop-up's not working, so I'll have to wait to give Turkbear a great big sparkly thing for that!

Years of ignorance wiped away in a moment's Wiki-ing!

I LOVE the internet [rofl]

Chris

Muhammad Ali

Wow...I didn't catch the spelling error the first time OR the second time. Shame on me! Just to clarify...she was SINGING, not SIGNING. I don't even think she knows sign language.

Let us not forget the classic "Maresy doats and dosey doats and little lamsy divy, a kiddley divy two..."

...she was SINGING, not SIGNING.
While you meant it as singing, I read it as signing when I was reading your post. So for me an instant image was painted in my head of one of those professional sign-language people that stands stage left/right... I realized immediately that I'd read the right word, but the wrong intended word.

But the image was too much for me to pass up. Imagine how funny it would be for the signer to be confused about the lyrics and spreading that confusion to all the deaf attendees.

~Thadeus

While I was pulling an all-nighter last night, I used my cable TV's "70's Hits" channel to keep me awake while working. I've always enjoyed the sound of Carlos Santana's "Oye Como Va", but heck if I understood the lyrics. For nearly 40 years, I've been mumbling the lyrics along as best I could fill in the meaning with my high-school Spanish as:
Mis-heard lyrics said:
Oye como va, Pelico,
Bueno, vamos a <something unintelligible>

Which would translate (loosely) to:

Translation of mis-heards said:
Listen how it goes, Pelico (someone's name)
Good, let's go to <someplace>
When I googled the actual lyrics, I wasn't too far off, but being just that much off changes the whole meaning of what turned out to be "Carlos's Subtle Come-On" to a lovely young lady:
Real Lyrics said:
Oye como va, mi ritmo,

Bueno pa gozar, Mulata,
...and it's fairly reasonable that I mis-heard since Carlos was using a bit of slang throughout ("pa" is slang for "para"). So now I can translate and make sense out of it:
Translation said:
Listen how it goes: my rhythm.

Good for having fun, brown-skinned girl.
Finally, after 40 years, I understand.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Louie Louie" by The Kingsmen in the '60's. I have no idea what the lyrics are aside from "Louie Lou-eye".

Zathras: Yup... hehe... Piers Anthony even played on that, with the imaginary horse in the "Mode" series being named "Maresey"

For those curious, the lyrics are:

"Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy. A kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?" (Kid being a baby goat)

Just my 2¢

--Greg

Louie Louie, oh no
Me gotta go
Aye-yi-yi-yi, I said
Louie Louie, oh baby
Me gotta go

Fine little girl waits for me
Catch a ship across the sea
Sail that ship about, all alone
Never know if I make it home

CHORUS

Three nights and days I sail the sea
Think of girl, constantly
On that ship, I dream she's there
I smell the rose in her hair.

CHORUS

Okay, let's give it to 'em, right now!

GUITAR SOLO

See Jamaica, the moon above
It won't be long, me see me love
Take her in my arms again
Tell her I'll never leave again

CHORUS

Let's take it on outa here now
Let's go!!

Just my 2¢

--Greg

gbaughma said:
"It's not fair... to deny me... of the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me...."

I thought those were the lyrics?

At a young age I never could figure out why they let that one song about "My sha-ro-na" on the air... I never have figured out what the song actually says, but I always thought it was about a part of the male anatomy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back