Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dumb lyrics 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stackdump

Technical User
Sep 21, 2004
GB

I heard a song on the radio today, the words were so weird I actually looked them up. Are these the worst song lyrics ever written?

Artist(Band):The Beautiful South (Heaton/Rotheray)
It doesn't take a labrador
To show a blind man sun
Either you are simply beautiful
Or I am simply dumb
Dumb, dumb, dumb
The sun, the sky, the moon, the stars
Jupiter, Neptune and Mars
All these things I clearly see
It don't take a telescope for you to love me

The line "It doesn't take a labrador, To show a blind man sun", means what exactly? Are we talking about someone from Labrador or the dog?

It's the last line in particular that kills me, "It don't take a telescope for you to love me". Does this imply that some young (or old lovers) would actually buy a telescope to sustain their relationship?

My previous favorite was a band called Shakespeare' sister that wrote the lines...

Woke up this morning, street was full of cars,
all bright and shiny like they just arrived from Mars

Oddly, I quite like the tunes, but I challenge you to beat these lyrics for poetic awfulness!

Looks just like the output of one of those internet language translators.

I dont need a telescope to love that one.

Sorry...Although Manfred Mann recorded the version to which I listened, please transfer the stupidity, then, to Bruce Springsteen.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

How believable is he if he says "yours are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen...but I've forgotten if they're green or they're blue"?

He might just forgot color because the've met on a dance floor in a dark but he was talking about shape...or how sweetly she looked at him or somthng...

CR, you're probably reading too much into Elton's lyrics...where did he ever say that the object of his affection is a "she"?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Santa...you wouldn't ask this few years ago and I am still there...ago, I can't change so quickly LOL

You're on the right track with the "Wang Chung" reference but it takes two strums. First one goes down the strings (fat strings to thin strings) to make the "wang" sound and the second goes up the strings (thin strings to fat strings) to make the "chung" sound.

Wang Chung was actually a two hit wonder, "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" was more popular than "Dance Hall Days" but both used to cause vigorous dancefloor activity at the club where I DJ'd.

They also did the soundtrack from "To Live And Die In L.A." but it did not spawn any hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back