Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Christmas Carol lyrics quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
When I took this Christmas Carol lyrics quiz, I thought that I had done a pretty good job. But after scoring the quiz, I only earned a 76%.

Let us know how you did.

Happy Holidays,

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

I got 60% and am scared by the spelling of 'Noel'

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. ~ Nietzsche"

That hymn appears with the title spelled exactly that way (The First Nowell) in our church hymnal (RitualSong, published by GIA Music).

Solum potestis prohibere ignes silvarum.

I'll be damned...I learn something new every day.

Here's an article in which a Northern Illinois University professor says the original spelling of the title is, indeed, "The First Nowell".

He says that although nowell is, indeed an anglicized version of the French noel (or perhaps no[ë]l), the 450-year-old song is of Cornish origin, and the anglicized spelling is the original one. The title was changed by someone sometime between 1870 and the early 1900s.

It's an interesting article.

Want to ask the best questions? Read Eric S. Raymond's essay "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". TANSTAAFL!

An early use of the spelling, Nowell, appears on page 74 in the William Sandys, Christmas Carols Ancient and Modern, published in London: Richard Beckley, 1833. Nowell is a long-standing English corruption of the French term for Christmas, Noël.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

If you look at the answers section when you're done, they specifically say "And yes, Nowell is correct spelling",
--Jim

And yet another "spelling"...
[tt]
ABCDEFGHIJK MNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] When a diminutive clarvoyant had disappeared from detention, headlines read...
Small Medium at Large[tongue][/sub]

...Tater Tots, with their eyes all aglow...

65% with some successful guessing involved.

We don't get too many carols down here do we Lightning.

48% same as you.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

84%... .didn't guess... but got a couple wrong. [lol]

Oh, and they did put a "note" on the scoring page....

21. In "The First Nowell," whom does the angel address?
A. Poor shepherds
B. Wise men
C. King Herod
D. Skeptical fellow angels
Your answer was correct.

The first Nowell, the angel did say/Was to certain poor shepherds in fields as they lay. (And, yes, "Nowell" is correct.)

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

Oh, and they did put a "note" on the scoring page....

doesn't make them correct though

"Whoever battles with monsters had better see that it does not turn him into a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. ~ Nietzsche"

Rats, 88% - it's tough to guess what good King Wenceslaus saw when you've never actually sung that one. [frosty] [reindeer] [xmastree]
Happy Holidays All!

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

92% But the interesting part was concerning "nowel" vs noel

pc.gif

Jomama

This was my favorite Q/A combo:
4. In "The Little Drummer Boy," how does Baby Jesus react to the stylings of the impoverished percussionist?
D. He weeps inconsolably because, like almost everybody else, he too hates "The Little Drummer Boy.

Tis sad. 72%

I was sure I'd get more than that. Though I know on at least 2 I shoulda just gone with my first instincts!

[smile]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back