Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i.e. vs e.g. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimandja

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
Have you noticed how little distinction is made between these two expressions nowadays?

Exempli gratia (e.g.) meaning "for example".
Id est (i.e.) meaning "in this case".

>If you hadn't already mentioned punctuation, then "period" couldn't BE an example.

When I say "Most punctuation, in this case a period, goes inside the quotation marks", I am saying "in this particular case (on hand), a period", not "for example a period", because a period brought us to this point.

My longstanding memory aid has been:

i.e. = in ether words (pronouncing the second word as eh-ther, like other)

e.g. = egzample

Of course I'd never make the aforementioned "in example, as it's not common English. :)

I'm amused at Genimuse's memory help about e.g. I remember telling someone about a year ago that e.g. stood for EGG-zample, and he told me every time he saw that, he remembered that. :)#

Lee

Just a note of cooincidence--with the movie "Be Cool" coming out, I thought I'd rewatch "Get Shorty"--and this exact subject was wryly dealt with in that movie.
--Jim

you know.. I speak spanish. My written english is quite good (not perfect obvously), but I didn't know the difference between i.e. and e.g. Guys, this thread helps me a lot!!!

Thanks all of you!

Quite aside from all the fun we have here, there IS a purpose to this forum.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back