Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialed vs. Dialled 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
I work in the phone industry and I am constantly writing the word dialled.

Auto-corrects cannot agree on the correct spelling.

My investigations indicate the primAry difference to be American vs. British English. I reside in Canada so British English is more widely used(at least where I am).

My business card reads "Dialed into your business"

This bothers me but I don't want to be a jerk in pointing it out unless I have a good reason.

Does anyone have any insights for me?

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

The use of Z oe S in word

I see a lot of words in us publication using Z. Wher in UK and Australia it has been replaced with S I think at one stage some one had the idea of of only have 25 letter and not 26. I do not know what you would call zerbra with no Z's

TO, TOO and TWO there is a pile of other word with different meanings.

Never give up never give in.

There are no short cuts to anything worth doing :)

I see a lot of words in us publication using Z. Wher in UK and Australia it has been replaced with S I think at one stage some one had the idea of of only have 25 letter and not 26. I do not know what you would call zerbra with no Z's

As the language is called "English" is suspect you will find that it is actually the USA that have replaced the 'S' with a 'Z' :)

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Actually, that's not something we can blame the yanks for (much as we enjoy to), as has been mentioned a few times in these forums. Good explanation here.

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

>as has been mentioned a few times in these forums

In this very thread. in fact.

authorise in English but when you look a US movies authorize there is many more examples.

Inflammable Vs Flammable adding to start of a word change the meaning possible Vs impossible

Re:Inflammable etc

- The Mother Tongue said:
"We have at least six ways of expressing negation with prefixes:a-, anti-,in- il-, im-, ir-, un-, and non-. It is arguable whether this is a sign of admirable variety or just untidiness. It must be exasperating for foreigners to have to learn that a thing unseen is not unvisible, but invisible, while something that cannot be reversed is not inreversable but irreversable and a thing not possible is not nonpossible but impossible. Furthermore, they must learn not to make the elementary mistake of assuming that because a word contains a negative suffix or prefix it is necessarily a negative word. In-, for instance, almost always implies negation but not with invaluable, while -less is equally negative, as a rule, but not with priceless. Things are so confusing that even native users have shown signs of mental fatigue and left us with two forms meaning the same thing: flammable and inflammable, iterate and reiterate, ebriate and inebriate, habitable and inhabitable, durable and perdurable, fervid and perfervid, gather and forgather, ravel and unravel.

I love this book for its insights into our language and its many faults.

==> Inflammable Vs Flammable adding to start of a word change the meaning possible Vs impossible
Actually, the original word was inflammable, derived from Latin with the prefix en-, which means "capable of", as in to enflame or inflame. Both spellings are acceptable. It is the The Latin un- that means not. However, English also get words from other languages where the in- prefix does mean not. Hence the confusion.

Somewhere around the 1920s fire protection officials became concerned that people would believe that inflammable meant not flammable rather than capable of flame, so they started using the word flammable to hopefully avoid the confusion.

==> It is arguable whether this is a sign of admirable variety or just untidiness.
I think it speaks more the admirable variety since over the years, English has imported words from a variety of other languages.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

>authorise in English but when you look a US movies authorize there is many more examples

Are you actually reading what people are telling you?

Sorry Strongm but I must....

"there is many more examples" - Really?

Presumably you are aware that it is not my grammatical error; I was quoting assets

When NEC released thee first G3 fax machine the manual stated "when the lamp is not lit" whats wrong with off. Just kidding but some one need to read and translate Japanise english to english.

assets, you are hardly in a position to criticise anyone's English!

assets said:
When NEC released their first G3 fax machine the manual stated "when the lamp is not lit". Whats wrong with "off"? Just kidding, but someone needs to read and translate Japanese English to English.

On that subject though... I have one of those little infra-red controlled micro helicopters. The instructions have a diagram of the controls which is labelled "The elucidation of the controls". :)

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Sometimes, I think manufacturers do it on purpose, just to give us something to give out about -- YMMV ;-)

Paul
------------------------------------
Spend an hour a week on CPAN, helps cure all known programming ailments ;-)

<If a Brit visits Texas, they can have a problem ordering dessert - they ask for 'peckin pie', while the locals know it as 'pa KAHN pie'.
Actually, the Texans call it PEA-can. They like to emphasize the first syllable on things: DIS-play, AH-dear (idea), and so on.

An unforeseen consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

<"Bumming a fag" has a completely different meaning to some UK residents than it does to our US brethren.
And then there's the ubiquitous "rubber"...

An unforeseen consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

<"Bumming a fag" has a completely different meaning to some UK residents than it does to our US brethren.
And then there's the ubiquitous "rubber"...

<If, whilst at college I spelt colour as color, I would be picked up on it and corrected.
Reminds me of a story from my school days in England (as a visiting American boy). "Toad" Walker, our history teacher, required us to take notes on his lectures, which he would then look over and critique. I wrote "Wellington figured that he would be in a better position at Mont-Saint-Jean, so he moved northwards." (I did it on purpose, too.) This took place:

"Toad": Roodes. (He was from Wigan or some such)
Me: Sir.
"Toad": Roodes, you have written that Wellington figured that he would be in a better position at Mont-Saint-Jean, so he moved northwards."
Me: Yes, sir.
"Toad": Roodes, was Wellington an Englishman?
"Toad": Then Roodes, you must realize that he did nothing of the sort. He "surmised" or "ascertained." Americans figure, Roodes, Englishmen do not.

By the way, our different spellings have their rather prosaic genesis in the "Simplified Spelling Board" of 1906. Andrew Carnegie decided that English could become a universal language if it were easier to write, and so funded the board. Teddy Roosevelt loved the idea and ordered the U. S. Government Printing Office to use 300 of the new spellings, much to the general amusement of the American people, who generally ridiculed the idea. Some of those spellings caught on and are still in use today.

<I love this book for its insights into our language and its many faults.
A couple of notes: there's also "ig" as in "ignoble". "Invaluable" isn't a good example of this, because it means "can't be valued." "Priceless", similarly, means "without a price." The trouble with "in" is that it isn't always a negative; rather it can have the meaning of "inside". So "inflammable" is to "flammable" as "flame" is to "inflame." Same idea with "inhabitable". After all, there's "uninhabitable" as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back