Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

May vs. Might, what could go wrong? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
I spent WAY too much time trying to figure out which word, may or might, would be the better choice in an emergency preparedness document for a customer.

The section in question was regarding reasons that an agent in a Call Center (Might/MAY) not be able to answer a call.

I finally resorted to using the word Could instead as I could not decide.

Which choice would you have made? May or Might or Could?

Here is the final draft

If an agent hears the burst of ring and is available to answer the call but the call is not offered: (assuming the phone is otherwise functional)
[ul]
[li]The agent could be in Do Not Disturb[/li]
[li]The agent could be in Make Busy[/li]
[li]The agent could be Logged Out[/li]
[li]The phone could be off hook unknowingly (Busy) - Check the prime line light and try to hangup[/li]
[/ul]
NOTE: The burst of ring and flashing key are ONLY indicators that a call is present. The key has no impact on the ability to answer the call​

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Gunnaro

Good Edit but it still doesnt answer the question

If an agent hears the burst of ring while available, the phone might be in one or more of the following states:
If an agent hears the burst of ring while available, the phone may be in one or more of the following states:
If an agent hears the burst of ring while available, the phone could be in one or more of the following states:

All right then.

In case an agent hears the burst of ring while available, the phone is possibly in one or more of the following states:

- Do Not Disturb
- Make Busy
- Logged Out
- Off hook unknowingly (Busy) - Check the prime line light and try to hangup
(This assuming the phone is otherwise functional)

Kind regards

Gunnar

2cnvimggcac8ua2fg.jpg

Oh my, we have another synonym

Then there is 'probably' ....

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Is there any other possibility than the ones you list? If not, you could simply remove the word, because the phone not only could be in one or more states, but it is.

In case an agent hears the burst of ring while available, the phone is in one or more of the following states:

- Do Not Disturb
- Make Busy
- Logged Out

Bye, Olaf.

@ Olaf, I like it.

From my experience, I would say that those conditions represent well over 90% of the probable causes

One or more is close enough to apply.

Further to the original question, every time one of these words comes up in a conversation, I find myself checking how the meaning changes with the application of each word. For those results where the meaning changes altogether, I've ignored those results. Typically actions are gone. Could run and may run are very different meanings for example.

Here are my unofficial results

Could = high degree of certainty that something is possible
May = Medium degree of certainty
Might = Low degree of certainty

Best example so far of this is when used with the word help

It could help
It may help
It might help

Could = high degree of certainty that something is possible
May = Medium degree of certainty
Might = Low degree of certainty
I don't think that scale holds true in all cases. Speaking your "help" sentences out loud, I find the degree of certainty depends mainly on where in the sentence you put the stress. If you say "it could help" with the stress on the uncertainty-term, it implies a more uncertain outcome than if you say "it might help". The choice between could/may/might is pretty inconsequental.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

(if the agent is reading it:)
When you are available and phone is otherwise functional:
If you hear the ring burst but the call isn't directed to your phone, check that the phone isn't set to:

- Do Not Disturb
- Make Busy
- Logged Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back