Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialed vs. Dialled 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
I work in the phone industry and I am constantly writing the word dialled.

Auto-corrects cannot agree on the correct spelling.

My investigations indicate the primAry difference to be American vs. British English. I reside in Canada so British English is more widely used(at least where I am).

My business card reads "Dialed into your business"

This bothers me but I don't want to be a jerk in pointing it out unless I have a good reason.

Does anyone have any insights for me?

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

<I love this book for its insights into our language and its many faults.
A couple of notes: there's also "ig" as in "ignoble". "Invaluable" isn't a good example of this, because it means "can't be valued." "Priceless", similarly, means "without a price." I was going to go into inflammable vs. flammable but CajunCenturion but I just noticed that did a much better job of it.

An unforeseen consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

No idea how that happened...anyway, Cajun did a better job explaining that than I did. And I left out Noah Webster. I'm going to sleep now, bye. Fun thread! :)

An unforeseen consequence of the information revolution has been the exponential propagation of human error.

I am struck by the lack of similarity between deal and dial, both verbed nouns.

Dealed can be dealt, never dealled.

Dialed can be dialled, but never dialt.

What etymological differences have led to this oddity?

I would guess that the verbing of dial is much more recent than that of deal, hence the use of the more archaic form dealt.

To dial arrived with use of the telephone dial (the action: to dial is now generally obsolete in itself - we usually key in phone numbers now),

So why not use "Keyed into your business" - which suggests a close union and partnership - as well as indicating a more modern action than the dialling that was prevalent in the 19th and 20th centuries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back