Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialed vs. Dialled 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
I work in the phone industry and I am constantly writing the word dialled.

Auto-corrects cannot agree on the correct spelling.

My investigations indicate the primAry difference to be American vs. British English. I reside in Canada so British English is more widely used(at least where I am).

My business card reads "Dialed into your business"

This bothers me but I don't want to be a jerk in pointing it out unless I have a good reason.

Does anyone have any insights for me?

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Why, is it not "tah coe"? Do you say "tay co" or something like that?

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

I was raised to say tock-o, but from my british dealings I gather the approved way is tack-o.

Lodlaiden

You've got questions and source code. We want both!
Oh? That? That's not an important password. - IT Security Admin (pw on whiteboard)

If a Brit visits Texas, they can have a problem ordering dessert - they ask for 'peckin pie', while the locals know it as 'pa KAHN pie'.

Fred Wagner

They would have a tough time buying cigarettes in Texas, too. ;)

Jim

On the same subject but different words, can someone explain the following:

Answered not Answerred (definitely Answerred looks very wrong to me)

Transferred not Transfered (Both look Ok to me but spell checker says 2 r's)

Why?

It has to do with syllable stressing. The general rule is that words which end in the 'er' sound and have the emphasis on the first syllable do not double the 'r'. However, when the emphasis is on the 'er' syllable, the 'r' is generally doubled up.
An'swer ==> answered
Trans fer' ==> transferred

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

>If a Brit visits Texas, they can have a problem ordering dessert - they ask for 'peckin pie', while the locals know it as 'pa KAHN pie'.

Eaasily solved. I ask for "brownies" ...

Thanks CajunCenturion, the syllable emphasis escaped me

I was told that 'pa KAHN' is a nut and 'pee can' is a thing grandma keeps under her bed for emergencies.

sam

(Using the same indicators as CC) The stress in Transfer can be changed to Tran'sfer as in the Tran'sfer market of footballers from one club to another. They would then have been Trans ferr'ed.

Aspiring to mediocrity since 1957

They would have a tough time buying cigarettes in Texas, too. ;)

Get's even worse when you throw slang into the equation.

"Bumming a fag" has a completely different meaning to some UK residents than it does to our US brethren.

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

As a Brit, I am unable to understand why those of you who write a version of English (e.g. Americans or Canadians) continue to call your language English?

Surely it's either American or Canadian?

If, whilst at college I spelt colour as color, I would be picked up on it and corrected.

Your teachers taught you to spell a word a certain way. They taught you your nationality's version of English which proudly differentiates you from the British.

.....and there's another thing....(now you've got me started)....

/start rant

One used to be able to tell when reading whether the author was British or schooled in Britain, or if they were educated elsewhere. No longer.

British newspapers have words like "authorized", "organized" and "recognized".

When I read that "both are correct", they are not!

And it's got nothing to do with language "moving on".

/end rant

Oh, I feel so much better for that. Thank you kwbMitel.

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

organized" is the correct British English. Just check the OED. Many of the words that you might like to think end -ise should actually end -ize (it is derived from a Greek root rather than aFrench one). -ize is not an Americanism.

Having researched it I accept that both can be used however, according to the BNC (British National Corpus) the ratio of acceptable variances of the endings "-ise" and "-ize" are 3:2.

I cannot recall ever being told at college that both were acceptable and will continue to sneer at crappy British newspapers who spell those words any other way.

¦-)

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

If you are expecting to gain employment in America then I would suggest following their protocols.

I was born in, raised in, and educated in the U.S. although my education was mostly at religious institutions. I constantly find myself writing "cancelled" along with many other similar words for whom Americans use only one "L" (or "T", or ...) and spell-check is constantly objecting to it. It's getting quite annoying, really, and I'm about to switch my dictionary to "British English" ;-)

Frank Clarke
--America's source for adverse opinions since 1943.

@ Rexxhead - AFAIK, 'cancelled' is just fine with either one or two 'l's', and that is how I have learned it as well in an American High School, and most I know use the TWO 'L' variety... ;)

@ Olaf, yes I know where you are coming from, when I read a lot of English Translations, from German speaking partners, I begin to cringe quite a few times. But what gets me worse, is the pronunciation that they gets me the most time... Example: Item, most Germans I know (me excluded), pronounce it "Eat Them", this sets my neck hairs to a rise...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Surely it's either American or Canadian?"

For the most part it is American English
Canadians will have more British English but share some of the American English.....I believe this to be Noah's fault because his Websters dictionary is popular in Canada.

"Dialed" is the US version
Even this web site (American) shows that Dialled is spelled wrong.

General rule for the proper English language:
When adding 'ing' and 'ed' to verbs double the consonant beforehand.

It's a fact that Americans choose to spell things there way thanks to Noah Webster whom wanted to have a superior language to the Brits therefore changed up some words.

'Into' is old English and can be 'in to'.

In the end the business card looks fine to me since some of us in Canada spell it same way (thanks to the Americans), I am dual citizen - Brit and Canadian.

------
I aint got no grammar!

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

Hello Mr. Webster ( ;-) )
It's a fact that Americans choose to spell things there way thanks to Noah Webster whom wanted to have a superior language to the Brits therefore changed up some words.
1. Their
2. (commata) who
3. Noah Webster did not write An American Dictionary of the English Language with the purpose of a superior language, but that he wanted to show that the Americans spoke a DIFFERENT dialect than the British.

PS: into is modern English, derived from intō (which is Old English)... ;)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

General rule for the proper English language:
When adding 'ing' and 'ed' to verbs double the consonant beforehand.
I would disagree that's the general rule. In fact, I don't think one can make a claim that there IS a general rule.

[li]If it's a one-syllable word that ends in a consonant-vowel-consonant pattern, and the last consonant is not 'w', 'x', 'y', or 'z', then double the last consonant and add the 'ed' or 'ing'.[/li]
[li]If it's a two-syllable word that ends in a consonant-vowel-consonant pattern, then only double the last consonant if the second syllable is stressed. Do not double the consonant if the first syllable is stressed.[/li]
[li]If a word end with two vowels and a consonant, then do not double the consonant - just add the 'ed' or 'ing'.[/li]
[li]If a word ends with two consonants, then do not double the last consonant - just add the 'ed' or 'ing'.[/li]

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back