Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Favorite Quotes 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJCooperIT

Programmer
May 30, 2002
US
Many of us here at TT have quotes in our signature lines. Some funny, some profound (like CC's) and some personal. The problem I have is that I do not have the time, or inclination, to change the quote in my signature on a regular basis. That being said, I would like to post another of my favorite quotes:
Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.
Doug Larson (1902-1981), English Racer
So true in this business. Your favorites?

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
My website: www.EmuProductsPlus.com

I am not sure who but I love it

If I want your opinion I will give it you!!

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

George Bush via Dagon said:
"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. "

should be:

"If all else fails, immortalityfication can always be ashurified by spectaclear air. "

Jeeps, he's a Muppet!

Chris

When his pin is pulled, Mr Grenade is not our friend - USMC Infantry Manual

I always thought "I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member" was a Groucho Marx quote, but I may be wrong. Was the 'some poet' with the 18 whiskies Dylan Thomas?

Alan Bennett said:
I don't mind people who aren't what they seem. I just wish they'd make their mind up.

18 whiskies was only just getting started for Dylan!

My Mug reads

"We are not wholly bad or good
Who live our lives under Milk Wood"

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

I've given so many people a piece of my mind that I'm not sure I have much of that left now...

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most.

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

Stanislaw Lem said:
Not far from here, by a white sun, behind a green star, lived the Steelypips; illustrious, industrious, and they hadn’t a care: no spats in their vats, no rules, no schools, no gloom, no evil influence of the moon, no trouble from matter or antimatter — for they had a machine, a dream of a machine, with springs and gears and perfect in every respect. And they lived with it, and on it, and under it, and inside it, for it was all they had — first they saved up all their atoms, then they put them all together, and if one didn’t fit, why they chipped at it a bit, and everything was just fine...

Xenix thought-of-the-date said:
A programmer is a person who passes as an exacting expert on
the basis of being able to turn out, after innumerable iterations, an infinite series of incomprehensive answers calculated with micrometric precisions from vague assumptions based on debatable figures taken from inconclusive documents and carried out on instruments of problematical accuracy by persons of dubious reliability and questionable mentality for the avowed purpose of annoying and confounding a hopelessly defenseless department that was unfortunate enough to ask for the information in the first place.

To determine how long it will take to write and debug a program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and convert to the next higher units.

1.) If the document should exist, it doesn't.
2.) If the document does exist, it?s out of date.
3.) Only documentation for useless programs transcends the first two laws.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

...and from my friends who race at Road America:
You can make a small fortune in auto-racing...if you start out with a large one.
--Jim

E. W. Dijkstra said:
Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.

-Phish
"Why do you need to think? Can't we just sit and go budumbudumbudum with our lips for a bit?" - Mostly Harmless
fsm.png

Gulliver's Travels said:
I cannot but conclude the Bulk of your Natives to be the most pernicious Race of little odious Vermin that Nature ever suffered to crawl upon the Surface of the Earth

Some things never change!

Alan Bennett said:
I don't mind people who aren't what they seem. I just wish they'd make their mind up.

[Political] prose consists less and less of words chosen for the sake of their meaning, and more and more of phrases tacked together like the sections of a prefabricated hen-house. ~ George Orwell

Here are some of my favorites:

My family puts the FUN in DISFUNCTIONAL!

I haven't lost my mind; I've got it backed up on tape!

I was going to back up the hard drive, but I couldn't find the gear shift!

Just when I thought I had all of the answers, someone went and changed the questions!

Insanity is hereditary. You get it from your children.

... and in that same vein...

We don't inherit the Earth from our parents; we borrow it from our children.
^^^ Very true, btw....

Weigh promises. Make them carefully. KEEP EVERY ONE.
^^ Written on my white board at work as a constant reminder.

from "Nick of Time" by Bonni Raitt said:
Life gets mighty precious when there's less of it to waste

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly exchanged his dilithium crystals for new Folger's Crystals." -- My Sister
--Greg

Something I believe.

and if you can treat triumph and dissaster as the same imposter, then you will be a man my son.

{If Rudyard Kipling}

It was my mothers favourite poem, but these are the words I have tried to live my life upon.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Moderation in all things, including Moderation itself.."

Copyright MM Me

97.3% of all statistics are made up!

A sign which hung on the wall of my GP's waiting room 50 years ago which I remember to this day:-

There is so much bad in the best of us
And so much good in the worst of us
That it doesn't behold any of us
To talk about the rest of us.

[gray]Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.[/gray]

The quote I like best from there, besides the rosieb's is:
Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People.

Bye, Olaf.

George Harrison said:
You know what I love about Formula One? The complete and utter, senseless waste of money.

Chris

When his pin is pulled, Mr Grenade is not our friend - USMC Infantry Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back