Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Favorite Stand-Up Comics

Status
Not open for further replies.

acl03

MIS
Jun 13, 2005
US
In another thread, a few of went off on a short tangent about David Cross. I thought it would be fun to share our top favorite stand-up comics.

List your favorite three, and yry not to repeat any that are already mentioned unless you feel absolutely compelled. :)

My 3 (in no particular order):

Brian Regan - He is the best comic I have ever heard that does not have ANY dirty material.

Mitch Hedberg - "If you have a friend who is a tightrope walker and he trips on the sidewalk, that is completely unacceptable."

Dane Cook - A little dirty at times, but his energy and delivery make him great.

Thanks,
Andrew

[medal] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

Opieo,

Thanks for the Brian Regan bit. My brother and I often quote that, but I had long since forgotten who it was from.

I have So So So So many !!!!

Behing from the UK/Eire Dave Allen is one that needs to be looked at.

Could I do a Top 3 .... erghhhhhhhh

From a UK perspective, how BLUE do you like the comedy ....
Roy "Chubby" Brown
Jim Davidson

Arghhhh

Watching Jack Dee and Lee Mack at the moment ... great !!!!

Love Lenny Henry (Mr Red Nose Day) & Dawn French (My Mum & Step-Dad were at their wedding)
Also Ade Edmonsen (Mr Hell's Kitchen) & Jennifer Saunders

Do a search for "Amy G Kazoo" from the Canadian Just for Laughs festival ... can't post a link (NSFW)

Also Rik Mayall (same birthday as me (not year) & drank a pub dry in London with him during a Notting Hill Carnival many years ago !!!!)

Well that's the cast of the "Young Ones"

So don't forget RED DWARF @bobbyllew etc

Also @stephenfry with the whole cast crew & writers of the far too many series o mention ...

Stop me now ........ haven't done 1/10 of who I could mention & not even started on the US !!!!!!!!

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

Hi,
OK, time to remember the older guys ( and 2 gals):

Buddy Hackett
Jack Carter
Myron Cohen
Don Rickles
Rodney Dangerfield
Bob Newhart
Shelly Berman

If you want to talk 'blue' ( code for dirty back in the day)
Redd Foxx ( Not at all like his Sanford persona)
Lenny Bruce - maybe the best
and 2 mostly forgotten Gals:
Rusty Warren ( known for her 'Knockers Up' slogan )
and
Moms Mabley( See example story:)
Moms said:
A friend of mine called and said she was going to kill herself because she was too old and decrepit to attract men anymore so she was going to take poison and die!
I said to her that poison was a bad idea since it might make her throw up and look bad when her body was found ( and it might not work) - I said take a .45 and place it 3" below your left breast and pull the trigger-- leaves a not bad looking corpse and will work for sure.

Well, she called be a week later and was really PO'd - she said she did what I said and blew her left kneecap off.....

Language cleand up some and I did not try to imitate her singular diction..if interested in these treasures, try Google for examples..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

@KornGeek
Glad I could help.
Whenever somebody mentions Brian Regan I either think of the moosen or pop tarts.
Rather than paste the pop tart bit as well, I will simply link to here and say that you can just search "tart" and it will take you right to it.

~
“Your request is not unlike your lower intestine: stinky, and loaded with danger.” — Ace Ventura.

Don't forget about Bob & Tom:
1) Costaki Economopoulos
2) "Donny Baker"
3) Larry Reeb (Uncle Lare)

Ever notice how fast Windows runs? Me neither.

Hmmmmm - I searched "tarts" and the company firewall told me stop that. ;-)

Prolly shoulda been more specific.

2 thumbs up to RCorrigan - I LOVE the Young Ones. It's been a while since it was on here but I bet I watched every episode a dozen or two times. I should look for them on DVD...

Also love Bob Newhart. His stand-up will hurt you in the gut from laughing so hard and he just stands there making it look effortless.

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

Bill Cosby. I love his routines on fatherhood. Clean, very funny. Plus, he just always struck me as a really good guy.

GS

[small][navy]**********************^*********************
I always know where people are going to sit. I'm chairvoyant.[/navy][/small]

Eddie Izzard. Every flippin' time.

(and I have tickets for 'Stripped' at Wembley in the 3rd row!)

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

I saw Brian Regan a month or two. I heard that he normally doesn't have an opening act, but at this show his brother opened up the show.

Apparently, his brother was a writer on King of Queens, so he wasn't new to the business. He had a similar style to Brian and he was very funny.

Thanks,
Andrew

[medal] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

You guys nailed all the great ones, but what about Lisa Lampeneli (sp?). She's raunchy, but sooo funny. I have to throw in Red Fox and Richard Pryor as well. Crazy funny!

LeeMcCauslin said:
And, because nobody has mentioned a female comedian yet, Sarah Silverman tickles my fancy in ways that would be inappropriate to enumerate here.
A buddy of mine and I have 'arguments' over who gets to marry Sarah Silverman. Her comedy is so incredibly.... wrong. But I love her.

Anyone here ever seen "The Aristocrats"? [NOTE: Please take the following advice very seriously: Unless you enjoy really disturbing, disgusting, gross-out humor, then please please please do not click on the memorable quotes link on that page. And if you want to check it out, be aware that it contains unedited transcripts from the movie.]

See here if you're not familiar with the joke by the same name on which the comedy/documentary is based... But only you want to totally ruin it for yourself.

Anyway, it may be an urban legend, but I heard that Sarah Silverman's telling of the joke in that movie got her sued. Having seen it, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's true.

This thread also reminds me of a documentary I just saw called "Heckler" by Jamie Kennedy. Many of the comedians listed in this thread, along with many other performers ranging from Jewel to Joe Mantegna are interviewed about their interactions with hecklers. They even find a few hecklers to appear on screen. It got kind of weird in bits but was overall quite enjoyable.

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

My three have been mentioned, Billy Connelly, Eddie Izzard and Robin Williams, but Craig Ferguson used to be incredibly good as Bing Hitler.

Robbie Coltraine too is very funny and that Rhona whatshername she can be quite funny too.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Steven Wright said:
-I put instant coffee in the microwave and almost went back in time

-I came home drunk one night, stuck my key in the front door, and my house started up...so I took it for a drive...

I'm surprised no one mentioned Gallagher, he was more than just the Sledge-o-matic

Gallagher said:
-Hot Water heater? Why would anyone buy a hot water heater? Hot water doesn't need heating.

-If con is the opposite of pro, does that mean Congress is the opposite of Progress?

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

I am anxiously awaiting clicking your link when I get home, anotherhiggins. [thumbsup]

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

The late, great, profound and profane Sam Kinison makes me laugh every time I see a video of one of his acts. And the act he did on one of the Rodney Dangerfield HBO Young Comedian shows is among the funniest six minutes of comedy that has ever been done.

Want to ask the best questions? Read Eric S. Raymond's essay "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". TANSTAAFL!

+1

The Late Great Mitch Hedberg - Ducks eat for free at subway!

I just listened to Mitch Hedberg over the weekend. I had forgotten about this one and it cracked me up:

"I got a slice of pizza and the guy gave me the smallest slice possible. If the pizza were a pie chart of what you would do if you found $1 million, this guy gave me the 'donate to charity' slice. I'd like to exchange this for the 'keep it'!!!

Thanks,
Andrew

<off topic>
sleipnir214 - have you given up on PHP and mysql ?
</off topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back