Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Favorite Quotes 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJCooperIT

Programmer
May 30, 2002
US
Many of us here at TT have quotes in our signature lines. Some funny, some profound (like CC's) and some personal. The problem I have is that I do not have the time, or inclination, to change the quote in my signature on a regular basis. That being said, I would like to post another of my favorite quotes:
Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.
Doug Larson (1902-1981), English Racer
So true in this business. Your favorites?

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
My website: www.EmuProductsPlus.com

Lunatic,

Was it a coincidence that both of those quotes from Socrates and Wittgenstein seem to represent intellect at it most dizzying?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

From my mentor many^3 years ago:

"Believe, but verify."

< M!ke >

Santa

Um... now I'm confused. [ponder] Those both seemed very simple and straightforward to me.

Paraphrasing Socrates - The only thing you can know is there is a lot you don't know.

Paraphrasing Wittgenstein - If it's confusing, slow down, take a breath, and relax. Let it fall into place and try again.

Have a problem with my spelling or grammar? Please refer all complaints to my English teacher:
Ralphy "Me fail English? That's unpossible." Wiggum

As long as we're on the topic of knowledge:
DH Rumsfeld said:
As we know,
There are known knowns.
There are things we know we know.
We also know
There are known unknowns.
That is to say
We know there are some things
We do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns,
The ones we don't know
We don't know.

Lunatic,

Your paraphrasings were much more lucid than the originals...I'll quote you from now on instead of the original speakers if you don't mind.[2thumbsup]

[santa]Mufasa

I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet!

Anyway, I'm not sure who said it, but

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

rofl.gif

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

AnotherHiggins

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa for not scanning this thread for the Rumsfeld quote.

Back to my cups.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
Pity the insomniac dyslexic agnostic. He stays up all night, wondering if there really is a dog.

Santa

Me thinks if you go around quoting me you're in for some odd looks ;p

Alex

See my 31 May 07 8:28 post, a very similar variation of that quotation is attributed to Einstein who actually appears to be paraphrasing Ben Franklin.

Have a problem with my spelling or grammar? Please refer all complaints to my English teacher:
Ralphy "Me fail English? That's unpossible." Wiggum

on aside to that quote: one of the foundations of quantum physics lies in the fact that you can do the same experiment thousands of times and never get the same results. Don't really think that the quys who discovered that where quite insane. (maybe after doing the same thing some thousands of times and NOT getting the same results the were...)

Cheers,

Roel

Lunatic -

I read your post, I just couldn't resist a little joke ;-)

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

one of my top 10.

A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle and patriotism is loyalty to that principle.

- George William Curtis

Scott Williams

"Global Warming is caused by the sun" - Anonymous

Confucious said:
"Do not worry if others do not understand you. Worry if you do not understand them."

Du Fu said:
"Without you, loneliness is my only companion."

Film: Split Second said:
"We need bigger guns!" ~ Dick Durkin

Dirk

Everything useful perishes through use....Should I not rejoice at being useless?

I couldn't resist sharing a quote from the late Joh Bjelke-Peterson (former Premier of Queensland, Australia). Joh was well known for mixing metaphors and being basically incomprehensible during tough political questioning. Please don't ask what he meant for I'm sure not even he knew!

"You can't walk a barbed wire fence with a foot in each paddock."

Cheers,
-gumbie.

Ouch!

[santa]Mufasa

A rolled up newspaper? Ooh! Ooh! Spank me! Spank me!"
-- One Sick Puppy

< M!ke >
Acupuncture Development: a jab well done.

Thus spake the master programmer:

"After three days without programming,
life becomes meaningless."

-The Tao of Programming
(Book Two, The Ancient Masters)

This one seems apropos for this forum

Mark Twain said:
The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.

Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober.

per ardua ad astra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back