Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Favorite Word 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
What word do you like the most? Why?
What word do you like the least? Why?

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

My favorite word is undoubtedly asanine. I like it, because I said it in cooking class, and my teacher thought it was a bad word and almost give me detention. [smarty]

My least favorite word? That would be . . . bling. You have no idea how much I hate that word. [curse]

--------------------------------------
Code:
//Program to tick off my sister
Programming is officialy a life skill

I have no idea what MIS means

What is the proper protocol for politely pointing out that a person has misspelled a word, without offending that person? I wouldn't want to make myself appear asinine.

Personally I don’t mind being informed that I’ve misspelled, after all this is “Making an Impression Forum”

As long as one is polite, I believe it's a good thing.

I don’t believe you’ve erred at all although you’re forcing me use spell check but that's probably a good thing too!

Whoops! I guess I have been spelling it the wrong way. I suppose I should look up the spelling of a word before I start using it. I guess that means I'M the asinine one.

As for pointing it out, as long as you're not a jerk about it, most people won't mind. I value people pointing out when I misspell a word, as long as they don't make me sound inferior or stupid. There's my two cents, anyway.

--------------------------------------
Code:
//Program to tick off my sister
Programming is officialy a life skill

I have no idea what MIS means

I agree with all those with whom I don't disagree. Correct your fellow posters with a bit of humor, and we'll all be fine. After all, there are those that think the word itself, "misspellings," is somehow sexist.

Yes, I am just trying to stir things up...

THanks,
Tim

>What is the proper protocol for politely pointing out that a person has misspelled a word, without offending that person? I wouldn't want to make myself appear asinine.

Usually, keeping the remark short and to the point does the trick nicely. For example, if you simply post '"pedantik" should be spelled "pedantic"', most people will not react negatively.

Dimandja said:
...if you simply post '"pedantik" should be spelled "pedantic"', most people will not react negatively.

Hey, I resemble that remark...

Tim

I like "merander", a malaprop, but an old friend used to use it, somehow it's more expressive than "meander".

But generally I like words that rarely get an outing, like "iatrochemistry " , "obfuscation" and "ultracrepidate" - somehow words with lots of vowels just sound more interesting.

Rosie
"Never express yourself more clearly than you think" (Niels Bohr)

>The shorter, the politer?

Yessir.[smile]

Meandering is a very irritating behaviour.

Shoppers meandering north with heads cocked west, ninnies meandering along three abreast on crowded sidewalks, freeway lane-changers wobbling to and fro: they all deserve the distinction "meanderthal".

My friend Ron came up with the name several years ago and we've used it ever since. A near perfect pseudo-word - descriptive, insulting, and decipherable. I think it's funny. Some don't.

[red]Note:[/red] [gray]The above comments are the opinionated ravings of Mr3Putt. As such, Mr3Putt accepts no responsibility for damages, real or contrived, resulting from acceptance of his opinions as fact.[/gray]

Mr3Putt:

Regarding "meanderthal" - As one who loves words and writing, and on occasion is alleged to have a knack for it, may I pay my highest writer-to-writer compliment:

Damn, I wish I'd written that.

THanks,
Tim

Least favorite: Creamy

Reason: When describing something other than food, it's almost never a compliment.

-kaht

Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals... except the weasel. - Homer Simpson (no, I'm not Homer)

Non-food things I can think of which are positively described as creamy: skin, complexion

Things I can think of which are negatively described as creamy:

SilentAiche - Thank you, I accept the compliment and will pass on it to my friend Ron. He'll chuckle.

I, too, occassionally fancy myself an able writer. Usually just before punctuating something incorrectly, or releasing a long and mildly humorous review of an office event and later finding "their they stood" or "there eyes where fixed".

rosieb - "Obfuscate" is a good one. Nearly onomatopoeic, eh? I like "troglodyte", too, it somehow sorta sounds like what it is. "Bifurcate", "obdurate", and other "ate" and "ite" words are almost always fun.

[red]Note:[/red] [gray]The above comments are the opinionated ravings of Mr3Putt. As such, Mr3Putt accepts no responsibility for damages, real or contrived, resulting from acceptance of his opinions as fact.[/gray]

Meanderthal"! Hat off to you Mr3Putt and your glorious friend!

Which is the proper adjectival form of onomatopoeia? Is it onomatopoeic or onomatopoetic? I vote for the latter. M-W has both versions.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Obviously, my vote is for onomatopoeic.

Sounds better on my ear, and doesn't lead others to believe that something rhymes.

It also sounds much more like the original word, the ending po-eh-tic takes the gas out of the word, in my opinion.

To me the -pEic part is stilted and cumbersome, but I'll give you your preference.

I do have one comment about your response though. Just because it has the syllables "poetic" in it, that doesn't have anything to do with rhyming. Not all poetry rhymes (any not all rhymes are poetic).

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back