Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Favorite Quotes 19

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJCooperIT

Programmer
May 30, 2002
US
Many of us here at TT have quotes in our signature lines. Some funny, some profound (like CC's) and some personal. The problem I have is that I do not have the time, or inclination, to change the quote in my signature on a regular basis. That being said, I would like to post another of my favorite quotes:
Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.
Doug Larson (1902-1981), English Racer
So true in this business. Your favorites?

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
My website: www.EmuProductsPlus.com

I rather like "I'm smart enough to know that I'm dumb." Richard Feynman

Rosie
"Don't try to improve one thing by 100%, try to improve 100 things by 1%

Not so much a quote but the Chorus for Faithless' "weapons of Mass Destruction" are just fantastic.

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber
Wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction
Whether you’re Soaraway Sun or BBC 1
Misinformation is a weapon of mass destruct
You coulda Caucasian or a poor Asian
Racism is a weapon of mass destruction
Whether inflation or globalization
Fear is a weapon of mass destruction
Whether Halliburton, Enron or anyone
Greed is a weapon of mass destruction
We need to find courage, overcome
Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Star for you, Stu.

mrregan, the anatomically correct quote is
I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.

A "frontal lobotomy" would probably ruin your whole day ;^)

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

DonBott

Author
10 Years Later: Jonh Bobbit remembered

If we're supposed to count in hexadecimal, how come we only have A fingers?

Sumptum fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.

-- Iulius Cæsar

Also:

There are two types of people in the world: those that divide people into two types, and those that don't.
[rofl]

Sumptum fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt.

-- Iulius Cæsar

Not a quote exactly, but a twisted confucius proverb I always liked...

You can learn a lot from trees. Trees that are rigid do not survive storms, they break and get blown down. Trees that are flexible and bend with the wind can weather a storm. So if you want to get on in life, be flexible and do not break wind.

Also...

A ship may be safe from the ravages of the sea when moored in a harbor. But that is not what ships are for.

And from Truman (I think)...

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

Also...
Negative thoughts yield negative results, postive thoughts yield negative results.

My wife says that I never listen to her, or something like that.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Here's two from the quotes button on my BBS

"I have traveled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year." --The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957

"But what ... is it good for?" --Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.

THere is a pair of quotes I am rather fond of (but by themselves not too good), found together in the intro to Chapter 4 of The Guru's Guide to Transact SQL

Here they are:

'If the auto industry had done what the computer industry has done in the last thirty years, a Rolls Royce would cost $2.50 and get two million miles per gallon' - Herb Grosch

'But it would be the size of a dinky toy and crash every three days. Beware of false analogy' - Joe Celko

I tape this to my computer to make me laugh whenever I am turning to punch it.

Alex

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Learn to laugh at yourself because if you don't others will."

-- me

eyetry

Alex, you do well to heed the words of Joe Celko ;^) Most T-SQL geeks would concur.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa.

Well behaved women rarely make history"
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
No idea, but attributed in one place to Nixon

P1. "I think that..."
P2. "Well that's what happens when you do your own thinking."
Me

Phil -

I have heard that he is not the most personable guy, but he certainly does have some great writings out there. I have found that you will rarely go wrong if you heed his advice.

Alex

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Dollie said:
P1. "I think that..."
P2. "Well that's what happens when you do your own thinking."
Me

LOL

That reminds me of one my brother used for a good while. When talking about something, if I said, "well, I was thinking....", then he would always interrupt with "well, there's your first problem!"

[wink]

A former colleague whose position was insecure said:

"Just because I am paranoid does not mean that they are not trying to get me"

SantaMufasa said:
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed

I have paraphrased I suspect...

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

.... because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." - Donald Rumsfeld

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back