Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does your Handle mean? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
I know this isn't quite appropriate for this forum, but the forum owner gave me permission to start the topic as a means to help us get to know each other.

What does your handle mean, and how did that become your 'name'?

'Chacalinc'... what chacalinc means? actually, it could be stupid but, in my school days I was called 'Chacal' because of my 'heavy metal' music. Chacal (in spanish) has two translations to english:

1. jackal, the animal (this is the formal one)
2. our local context, someone who is very bad. (this is my context.. don't ask)

The problem was that 'Chacal' is widely used, so I add 'Inc' for Inc. just to make 'a company with my old nickname'. So my nicknake is "Chacal Inc."

Cheers.

PD: Chacal Inc. doesn't exist, but is a TM :p
(c) Copyright 1973-my death.

Chacalinc,

The elements of your handle did not split where I expected them to.

I assumed it was [blue]Chaca[/blue], perhaps a non-english word for something, or a Chaka Khan reference, and [blue]linc[/blue], as in hyperlink, given this environment.

Oh, well, as my old boss used to say and say with annoying frequency, "assume" just makes an "ass out of u and me."

Tim

P.S. - I once looked into forming a company called [blue]THinc Big[/blue] (I'm 6'4"), but the name was taken.

[blue]_____________________________________________________
If you need immediate assistance, please raise your hand.
If you are outside of Raleigh, raise your hand and say
[/blue] [red]Ooh! Ooh![/red]

SilentAiche, I can understand the mistake since I speak spanish and I guess you expect the nickname in english ;P

idiot said:
a non-english word for something

Note to Self: how many words are there that aren't [blue]for something[/blue]?

Argh!

Tim

jazz88 - radio station in NYC I listen while driving

I'm envious! Richmond has a "lite jazz" station that really isn't jazz, just easy listening. I sure wish I had a good jazz station to listen to. Instead I usually end up listening to "The John Boy and Billy Show" in the morning and a country station in the evening.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Obviously, my favorite TV comedy...

I am still the master of my domain!!!!

I'm CosmoKramer, and I approve this message.

Tracy,

I hope you didn't have to endure what we Raleighites did for a few years - JB&B on an [green]Oldies Station![/green]

I'm a BigShow fan, too, although I boycotted it for a while a few years ago with this rationalization: If Johnny doesn't give enough of a damn to show up, why should I?" Get him to rehab.

Tim

Tim: not quite oldies, but [green]Classic Rock[/green] which is at least a little better.

AFIK JB has been showing up when he should fore the last several years I've been living in this area at least.

Tracy Dryden

Not been here for ages but what the hey. Very boring I'm afraid
xl = MSExcel
bo = Business Objects

my 2 applications, if not of choice, then of experience !!

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Mine's from my early college days. There was DaBoss, DaKidd and I was DaBuggs (something about Bugs Bunny cheeks). It's usually not used.

DaBuggs
[ponytails]

xlbo,

I'm glad you posted here. Your handle nearly caused me to use some of my really bad judgment, on a few occasions, to try to be funny. Most musings had to do with a "former arm joint" ([blue]ex-elbow[/blue], if explanation is necessary).

Regardless of my mindless sense of so-called humor, I'm glad I found Tek-Tips. You, and the other folks who give of their time and considerable talent, make this a remarkable place. I've learned a lot (such as, [blue]how #$*#@* much I don't know!!!![/blue]!

Many thanks,
Tim

DaBoss, DaKidd and I was DaBuggs

My boss had a habit of using "da" instead of "the", "my", or "a" when he is naming variables. It has taken me a while to get used to the idea, but now I find myself coding "daForm", "daValu", and such. I've accused him of corrupting me, but he refuses to be repentant.

Tracy Dryden

Da beers! [cheers]

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue]
[/tt][red]"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."[/red]
-Mitch Hedberg

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

SilentAiche - my pleasure and I must admit, I had never thought of my handle in that particular context !!

Must admit, I have, in the past, interpreted your handle the wrong way - threads like this are great for clarifying things that shoulda been obvious from the outset !!

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

xlbo,

I think it was E2 who let me know the usual phonetization (?) of the letter H is "aitch." Oh, well - my spelling makes it unique, albeit confusing!

Tim

Years ago I was trying to come up with a screen name while reading a Java book. Well my name is not Joe but Michael and JavaMichael didn't flow so good so I chose JavaJoe, but that was taken so tried MrJavaJoe, also taken, then DrJavaJoe and what do know it was available. I have been using it ever since.

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

Chacalinc,

On your post that explains your handle, you noted:
Chacal said:
(c) Copyright 1973-my death.
Actually (in the U.S. at least) copyrights continue for 70 years following the death of the original copyright holder. Therefore, I presume your common copyright notation should read:
(c) Copyright 1973-(my death + 70)
[2thumbsup]

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

I was somewhat inspired by the artist Josh Agle (better known as Shag). Last three letters of my first name, combined with the first two letters of my last name.

-dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back