Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vanity plates 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjoubert

Programmer
Oct 2, 2003
US
I was driving behind a Honda this morning with a very clever vanity plate. It had the letters LI, followed by the cent symbol, then finished with PL8.

Have you seen any creative vanity plates lately?

Another one on the way into work.

PAMNDAV

I love it when people have plates like this on the way home, and have their window down. I roll down my window and yell at them and act like I know them. They always look so confused. Ahhh the drives home can be fun.

~
Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Opieo said:
PAMNDAV...They always look so confused.
They look confused because their license plate obviously refers to the driver's electronic product lines:
Real Meaning of PAMNDAV said:
Pluggable Authentication Modules aNd Digital Analyzing Voltmeters
<grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Ah,,the dopers are coming out! Good laughs on this thread!
When I was in Colorado, I went to license two vehicles.
I was asked if I drove them both, and I said no, only one at a time. The lady gave me only one plate, and said I could use it on any vehicle I used. The plate is registered to YOU, not the vehicle!
Love the idea of waving and calling out the name on the plate!
I dont drive very far, Chatsworth to Simi is only 4 miles.
Everyone goes too fast to look at plates. It's like LeMans on the 118!

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

Opieo,

Where do you live that people drive around with the windows open? Here in Texas, vehicles (pronounced VEE-hickles) are hermetically sealed at the dealership and only people with broken A/Cs, broken power windows or NO windows drive with their windows open...even on the many beautiful days.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Michigan.
People love to drive with their windows down.
Especially the smokers.
The smokers are something else though, they will even leave the windows cracked when the temperature is a solid zero degrees (F, not C).

Heh, I pronounce it vee-hickles as well so at least the Texans got something right. [lol][poke]
No, seriously though, what are the other pronounciations? And why do I feel like that is not normal now?

~

I'm in WI and we pronounce vehicles either VEE-hicles or vee-ickles without the h or any emphasis on a syllable.

It seems that only mechanics use the first one.

[rockband]

Tony,
If the power windows and A/C both are broken on my (Louisiana) car, be assured I would drive it only as far as the nearest repair shop that can fix my vee-hickle.

If I see a smoker ahead of me (human or automotive), the recirculate button is the first thing to get pressed. It's annoying, because on my car, I have one of those electronic climate controls, and whenever I start it up it goes back to outside vent mode.

Da mihi sis crustum Etruscum cum omnibus in eo.

My SoFla accent-less upbringing makes me say vee-a-cull, with a slight accent on the first syllable. I did catch myself saying VEE-hickle once and put a cigarette butt out on my tongue!

I had a friend from Michigan that said, for fun, on the hottest days of summer they would roll up their windows and turn the heater on full blast during their drive to the lake, then jump out and into the lake. Said it made them appreciate the lake more. Umm, OK. I don't hold that against Michiganders in general...

Tony

Users helping Users...

Tony said:
Here in Texas, vehicles (pronounced VEE-hickles) are hermetically sealed at the dealership and only people with broken A/Cs, broken power windows or NO windows drive with their windows open...even on the many beautiful days.
My auto A/C, here in Foat Wurth, does not run 365 days a year, but almost certain to run for at least one day every month, and perhaps at least once a week, for 52 weeks a year.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Tony said:
Here in Texas, vehicles (pronounced VEE-hickles)...

If I remember correctly, that's how they pronounce it (I mean the word vehicle, Tony, not the word it [wink]) in Hazard County, Georgia.

Roscoe P. Coltrane said:
Them Duke Boys crashed my vee-hickle!

In Idaho, we pronounced it kar and spelled it c-a-r.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

Another plate flew by me yesterday.

RECOIL

Saw it on one of the shiniest mustangs I have ever seen. (around early 2000's era design)

~

In Texas it's just "Truck"! Californica, "Auto".
In Alaska, it's probably "sled"!
Kansas: Tractor.

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

What I can only assume is their last name:
SANDORS

And on the first Smart Car I have seen traveling down the freeway here in MI:
SMRTRTNU
At least I think that was it, it might have been SMRTRNYU, but my brain remembered the idea and not the spelling >.<

~

opieo,
I'm guessing it was SMRTRNU, I think most states only allow 7 characters.

My two favorites are:
(on an attorney's car)
I SUE EM

(on an attractive woman's mercedes)
WAS HIS

--Jim

Saw one today that leaves it open to interpretation depending on how you split the word

MENMINE

MEN MINE

ME N MINE

We say it Kawr or mo'ur.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

Good call jsteph.
Remembered something Michigan has (I would assume other states do as well).
On our Secretary of State page you can check plate availability.
Checking this reveals that the plate SMRTRNU was definitely the plate I saw. As least this is only assuming on a very small stretch since I cannot guarantee it.

~

I saw a plat this morning:

MTH ED

I figure it's either a Math Educator, or a Methamphetamine Edict who is not very good at spelling.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

This morning, I spotted WHYASKY.

Because.

Da mihi sis crustum Etruscum cum omnibus in eo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back