Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vanity plates 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjoubert

Programmer
Oct 2, 2003
US
I was driving behind a Honda this morning with a very clever vanity plate. It had the letters LI, followed by the cent symbol, then finished with PL8.

Have you seen any creative vanity plates lately?

[hide]AHA! I think I figured out how to hide stuff...[/hide]

Tony

Users helping Users...

Saw a tag during lunch. Not sure whether to post it here or in Texas Texism.

Texism

HAIL YA

Translated from

HELL YEA

Not sure if DMV would have allowed it had they known.

I just got new plates (not vanity mind you) that say "100 XTC".

vanka said:
I just got new plates (not vanity mind you) that say "100 XTC".
I'm sure the creative minds of this forum can think of some hidden meanings for that one.

Wikipedia said:
XTC was a New Wave band from Swindon, England, active between 1976 and 2005.

I'm not sure how to work the 100 in there though. Of course, if you're not a fan of the band, then that wouldn't work.

XTC could also be an abbreviated reference to ecstasy. "100 XTC" could mean that you're 100% in a state of elated bliss.

...or on drugs...

< M!ke >
[small]Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?[/small]

In all honesty, I think the band were aware of the possibilities of the name, but I can't recall the drug actually being available at the time of their inception.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

amiright.com said:
Andy Partridge has also stated that part of the inspiration for the band's name cam from watching a Jimmy Durante movie, when his character stands up and says "Dat's it! I'm in ecstasy!" They spelled in out the way it sounded when he pronounced it.

I had a plate that said CHOOGLN - which was a reference to the Creedence Clearwater Revival song, Keep On Chooglin'

When asked what Chooglin' meant, Creedence's John Fogerty said that it meant to relax and have fun.. but in the song, the lyrics mention an additional definition.

When I was asked what Chooglin' meant, I would just say that it meant to relax and have fun. I didn't mention the other meaning.

Years ago, another plate I had was Zebra3 - it was a reference to Starsky and Hutch's radio name. The plate was on an '89 Chevy S-10 pickup truck that was white in color, but had gray to black chromatic striping on the sides.

I recently got rid of my most recent message plate because of a crazy old man that I would see while driving sometimes on the way to work. He would make all kinds of gestures at me and just act crazy. I decided at that point that maybe it's time to be a bit more inconspicuous. :-(

Saw a pretty neat plate on the way home yesterday.
IRONDUK

~
Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Yeah, the Iron Duke was a great motor.

Saw one earlier this week that made me say 'Ouch':

On a very nice Infiniti G35: WA$ HI$

Chip H.

You can have dollar signs on the liscense plates there or were they really just S's?

~

I saw a plate once where the owner painted the vertical line through an S to make $.

[rockband]

No need for such trickery here in North Carolina (where both ChipH and I live). We can have several "special" characters on our personalized plates.

See for yourself:

(the example plate they have is WTF-5505. Kinda funny in itself.)

As for painting a line on your license plate, that seems like a really good way to get a ticket.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

I suspect they went for the dollar signs because the one with "S"es was taken already.

One I saw was 11l11ll1
(that's a mix of 1's and L's)

Visually, it's hard to identify the different characters. It won't fool a cop writing you a ticket, but for the automated red-light cameras, it probably can't tell the difference.

Chip H.

anotherhiggins said:
the example plate they have is WTF-5505. Kinda funny in itself

Do you think the person responsible for supplying that sample plate was a techie that didn't like Cisco 5505s or just sheer coincidence??? Or could it possibly refer to MySQL Bug #5505???

Surrender yourself to the mystery...

Tony

Users helping Users...

From
In early 2007, North Carolina began the process of replacing the oldest of the First on Flight plates still on the road, some of which had been issued as long as 25 years prior. The replacement for these older plates is an "updated" First on Flight base, with the paint color for the serial changed from blue to red. The plate is otherwise unchanged. The change to red serials is noted to have taken place in the early WTF series. Indeed.

I agree with that, mainly because the red paint is going to fade over time much more quickly than the blue paint, rendering the plate unreadable at a distance.

Many states issue new plates periodically. Mississippi replaces them every 5 years. Texas has a rolling 8-year cycle. However, here in Louisiana, the plate is replaced only if the registration is changed, and there are still plates out there for some pickups which could go back to as early as July of 1978. A lot of those are worn down to bare aluminum.

Da mihi sis crustum Etruscum cum omnibus in eo.

Personally, I don't even like having a plate. I put it on there because they'll lock me up if I don't.

Which would be ironic -- I could be forced to make license plates because I refused to attach one to my car.

Chip H.

Saw a plate with "ITZI". Altough it appears on a University of Michigan plate, which starts with that Blue M. So it could be intended to mean "MITZI", but that is up for debate unless one of you know something I don't about this.

Oddly enough, Mitsy is the name of my grandmother's dog ...

~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back