Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Memo writing 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

djj55

Programmer
Feb 6, 2006
US
In this time of emails, the art of memo writing has suffered.

I received an email with a .pdf attachment, which turned out to be a memo about the companies health care switch. The memo does not have any errors, however, the style seem to be taken from emails rather than business memo writing as it once was done. Example, the writer uses the word today "Do not use the xxxx Medical and Rx card after today". Not wrong but they could have stated the date rather than make me look for it as I did not read the memo until the next day.

Another place where they could have done better, in my opinion, is the line "All other insurance products (dental, vision, life and STD) will not change on July 1st". My first thought was STD is sexually transmitted disease as I do not remember what it is. The second thought was the negative "will not change" could have been "will remain the same".

As you can see by this post, I am no expert. However, this was said to be sent by "Management". I would hope (unrealistically) that "management" were better writers than myself.

Oh well, just trying to get something started in the forum as it has been quite for a while now.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Was it not yesterday we used 9 1/2 inch by 11 inch perforated paper? (either greenbar or blank)

Been through many a box.

You forgot punch tape. Never learned assembler but did use BASIC with punch tape.

djj

Yes, I did use punch tape. As well as 150 baud acoustic modems and half duplex teletypes. I never did wire-board programming, although I did see one. A former boss scavanged one in the 1980's when our company's old mainframe was replaced. Those mainframe people hoarded everything.

==================================
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Ahh, greenbar reports. I remember I once worked as a sort of file clerk for a large local retailer in the late 80'. A lot of the reports (inventory, sales, forecasts, etc.) were bound up in books (which I had to assemble), and stored in various locations around the building. One day my manager wanted a particular report, and I went to go look for it, only to find it was no longer there. Nor were any of the other reports in that location. I told my boss, and he went from manager to manager (with me in tow) asking if anyone had the reports. I found this to be a little inefficient, so I went to look for the other file clerk, and found that he had chucked the lot of them (the facilities folks were finally getting around to their fire hazard list, or something). Oh, how the manager almost fainted when I told him. He even started to ask around about to which landfill the company sends such things.

I had almost forgotten assembling those books, and disassembling them when the report was no longer needed.

yelworcm said:
...and disassembling them when the report was no longer needed.

Johnny 5 said:
Oh, no ! No disassemble !

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Who's Johnny? [sub]she said[/sub]

djj

Jumping back to the "old technology" part of this discussion. Just saw this link which brings back memories:

==================================
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back