Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Should technology push out cursive writing instruction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

See? No register to tell me what to do, and it takes 3 people to make it right... :-(

Have fun.

---- Andy

Good thing we got someone with skill to program the register.
Too bad the instructions aren't in cursive.

[blue]The doc walks in.[/blue] The good news:[green]"It's just Grumpy Old Man Syndrome."[/green] The bad news:[red]"You're not even 30."[/red]

I recently stopped at a store during a thunderstorm. The storm had knocked out the electricity and they had no back up generator. When I tried to buy a Pepsi, all kinds of problems sprung up...
1. Unable to scan to determine the price (even though they had signs advertising the cost at 99 cents).
2. No idea how much sales tax to charge.
3. No idea how to make change!.

No wonder South Carolina ranks 49th out of 50 in education. Thank god for Mississippi or we'd be last.

Randy

Don't fret, randy700, thanks to Governor Good-Hair Dick Perry and the Republican't, scamservative legislature, Texas will be racing to the bottom of the education rankings.

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Do you think we should try and scan some of our own cursive writing and share to see how good / rubbish we all are?

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

The quality of my cursive writing plummeted during the 70's due to my work in the Royal Corps of Signals and never ever recovered.
Receiving morse at high speeds and writing it down on a pad took its toll; luxury was if I was able to transcribe it straight onto a "teleprinter" (for those of you under a certain age, Google it or look it up in a "dictionary")

Recently I went on a training course and I forgot my voice recorder so ended up taking copious amounts of notes. Can I read all of it back? Not a hope in hell! And my wrist hurts....

Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

I hated it when the Morse code crazies told jokes in code after lights out in the barracks in the German mountains 1962-1964. Dots and dashes for 5 minutes then laughter (from a select few...not me)!

Sam

.... .- .... .- .... .- -.-.-- ---... -....- -.--.-

Annihilannic.

Just saw a link to this Text speak on another forum and thought it relevant to the cursive subject.

Sorry missed a brace

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Annihilannic:

I'm OK with
.... .- .... .- .... .- and ---... -....- -.--.-

But -.-.--?

Tony

!

(I take no credit, all thanks to wikipedia.)

Annihilannic.

In response to your post, I wrote an Excel morse decoder (yes I know I could have used an online one, but writing my own was more fun). But the source list I used did not have "!".

I shall ammend it immediately!

Tony

Branching tree technique? Or a simple lookup table?

I wish Morse was available as an option for SMS entry on mobile phones; it would have been a fantastic way to learn it and could be done without looking (although I imagine some whiz-TXT-ers can probably do that anyway, I'm terrible).

Hmm... perhaps there's an Android or iPhone app...

Annihilannic.

Simple lookup.

SMS - ironically a default ring tone on some mobiles is ... -- ...

Tony

There is an iPhone Morse app (I have it on my phone). Look up iMorse Code.

-- Francis
The brain is a wonderful organ; it starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and does not stop until you get to the office.
--Robert Frost

There's a Morse Code Keyboard for Android too... shucks now I have to put my money where my mout.... fingers are and learn it! :-S

Annihilannic.

Here's an article from CNN. Looks like Hollywood and 46 US states no longer require cursive handwriting.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

James said:
Hollywood and 46 US states no longer require cursive handwriting.
In Hollywood, cursive is a must...else how else would stars sign an autograph (complete with hearts)? <grin>

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back