Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac vs PC lame advice 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRilliterate

Technical User
Dec 7, 2005
US
My friend just got new Mercedes SUV and Mac computer for her 55th BDay.
She emails me and says that her computer in acting up this is why she wasn't sending messages. She asks 'what do you know about Mac'? I said 'I know that...why would anyone get Mac'?
Then I thought I am really have no clue about Mac - is there anything nice to say about it? Please, share...

They look trendy... they are also very popular for desktop publishing and image editing. At the end of the day there really isn't a reason to choose MAC over PC at all.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Grenage said:
At the end of the day there really isn't a reason to choose MAC over PC at all.

In some fora, that would get you a +1 Flamebait pretty quickly. I therefore pick the following words carefully:

For many people, the choice of a Mac over a PC or visa-versa comes down to what value they place on:
* Previous experience of computers
* Style
* Security of OS
* Software availability
* Price
(in no particular order).

Grenage points out the popularity of Macs in DTP and the 'Art' world - they also have quite a keen following with musicians.

Recently, there's been quite a pick-up in Mac sales due to the popularity of ipods and the interpretation of the OS security as being 'better' than Windows.

Additionally, many people who require access to both Macs and PCs are interested in the switch from IBM power processors to Intel chips, as it should become possible to run Windows on a Mac without emulation of the processor.

soi la, soi carré

I agree with drlex about there really isn't a reason to choose MAC over PC at all.
I am just wondering why would anyone get it if overwelming MAJORITY using PC, if money not an issue, if you had PC before and know how to use it...
I was looking for the reason that maybe does prove her right and can list some advantages when money not an issue, if you had PC before and know how to use it etc.

You should not insult a friend's gift, even if it is a crApple Macintrash.

PS: If this person later shows you a photograph of her grandchildren, you say they are "cute", even if they are ugly.

Here are two articles on the topic. See if it helps.

Other reasons aside, my daughter got a nice small MAC laptop with wireless Internet connection from the college she got into. At home, we have always had PC; usually desktops, and, at some points, laptops. Now, she spends more and more time in her room doing her college work on her new machine - and messaging her friends, of course. She e-mails herself her homework and comes to the Windows desktop only to open the mail and print it out.

I am not sure what would be her next computer in a few years, after she graduates.

My sister got an Apple laptop last year and absolutely loves it. The fact that her company (a large upscale hotel chain) uses Macs played a big factor in her purchase decision, that and the fact that all she does online is download music to her iPod.

I used to use one at a past job, but that job was graphics oriented and the computer was beyond perfect for it.

I have both styles of home PC -- Several WinTel machines and a Mac Mini.

I bought the Mini because I wanted to create some DVDs off some video I shot (car club roadtrips), and the two PC-based video creation products I bought (MGI and one other I forget it's name) totally stank. They would do stuff like create DVD images that were 10 minutes too long (without warning me before the 4 hour mastering process), or just crash for no reason.

With the Mini and iLife tools (iMovie, iDVD), it's incredibly simple to product top-quality output. As in: Totally amazing looking.

Besides that, the Mac OS-X is very stable, and since it's based on BSD-Unix, nearly all of the Linux tools will run on there.

My only beef is that the dual-core machines weren't out when I bought it last year.

I still earn my living off WinTel, of course. :)

Chip H.

Heh heh, flame bait. Also, which religion is the best? (same argument)

I have both PCs and a Mac. I'm a recent Mac convert (12" iBook). I got it because it's the smallest/cheapest/best Unix laptop I could find (Yes, cheaper and better than putting Linux on something).

I love the little Mac and now use it for all eMail and web surfing. I've never had virus or spyware problems of any kind.

My PCs on the other hand ... over the last couple years I've spent a HUGE amount of time cleaning up garbage that they became infected with. But, they still have a place in my arsenal because there are things they do better than a Mac (many more games).

The Mac also works better than PCs. When I just want to get something done, the Mac just works better for me. It's also easier to take with me and easier to use when needed. MS Office for Mac gives me the only imortant Windows software I regularly use. My iPod works better with it and Garage Band is an awesome tool.

But, I also work/play/surf with a Sun workstation. It's pretty immune to web site born infections, but the desktop tools are a lot clunkier.

I have noticed that most people that badmouth Macs have never used one, and people that have used them love them.

Let me admit right up front that I've never really used Macs. A former roommate had one and loved it, but I didn't really interact with it.

That having been said, there are some really funny 'Switch' ad parodies. These are both a few years old and you've probably seen them. But if you haven't.... Whoo boy, you're missing out.

There's the Mac Gamer.

And the video editor*. 'Crash Different'. Heh.

(Like I said, these are old, so please don't get all defensive about how much OSX rocks.)

*Harsh language warning...but really funny.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

Sam Bones said:
Also, which religion is the best? (same argument)
One commentator has already remarked that Apple is the world's only publicly-quoted religion. [smile]

soi la, soi carré

I work at a large professional photographic lab and until a bout three years ago all of our digital art workstations were Mac based SGI, and Indigo boxes. We hit a point where we could get alot more pc for the cost of replacing one so now there are only two Macs operating in the entire lab simply because the systems they operate are soon to be phased out. I am not saying that Macs are crap, just that in our particular setting we hit a point where we would rather get higher horsepower and easier upgradability for less money than a Mac could provide at the time.

I laid hands on a Mac for the first time just last night in a class I'm taking at the local cable TV station.

There were three differences that stood out. There's no Backspace Key, the CPU was in the monitor instead of the floor, and there are no buttons on the mouse.

The Delete key worked as a backspace if there was no character in front of the cursor location and there was more leg-room under the desk.

The only problem I had was that 'clicking' involves the whole mouse and I tended to hit it like a whack-a-mole game (according to my classmates).

It was kind of like driving a new model of car where it takes a few minutes to figure out how to turn on the wipers without honking the horn or opening the trunk, but the software was pretty intuitive. The fact is that all of the problems I've heard about Macs are problems I have had on PCs running lousy software.

When Galileo theorized that Aristotle's view of the Universe contained errors, he was labeled a fool.
It wasn't until he proved it that he was called dangerous.
[wink]

my 2cents: There are correct tools for a particular job.

I'd never put finance and administration folks on a Mac. It's not what it does best.

I'd never put music, video, graphics editors on a Windows Machine. It's not what it does best.

I'd never run a server on either of them, I'd use a *nix box.

And as far as my computer illiterate friends. I'd give them macs. Easier to use. Prettier. And they hold their value. You pay a load of cash to buy the top of the line mac. Then next year, you sell it, then take that cash, add 200 bucks and you have that years top of the line computer. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

You'll easily spend 200 a year on a windows box, changing processors, MoBo, RAM, Vid cards, etc. etc. etc.

The biggest downside to the Mac is the software limitations. With a market share under 10%, software developers don't have much to gain by approaching us. That said, iLife is the best digital entertainment suite ever (IMHO)

Robert Liebsch
Stone Yamashita Partners

The Delete key worked as a backspace if there was no character in front of the cursor location and there was more leg-room under the desk
i'm still tryna figure out how the delete key would know that :)

r937.com | rudy.ca

Rudy
Good point! ... although I'm told that the Mac OS is truly amazing.

And what does it do if there isn't more leg-room under the desk?

Exuse me...'Then next year, you sell it'???
Is there place you sell Macs to? How does process go?
Please, tell.

ebay, local newspaper, friends, relatives, computer shop trade-in ....

[Cheers]

Is it easier to sell Mac then PC? I am such a not salesperson so I can not believe people actually buying used computers nowadays when new ones are affordable.

I can not believe people actually buying used computers nowadays...

Actually, people are getting used computers for free nowadays.
My in-laws got one still quite good recently from their friends.
I have some older ones gathering dust. Hate to just throw them out and looking for someone to unload them onto for free - their pick-up. All PCs, though, no MACs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back