Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Instant vs. Instantaneously 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESquared

Programmer
Dec 23, 2003
US
To me, instantaneously has the sense of "without the passage of time." A teleporter might instantaneously move you to another galaxy. Instantly, though, has the sense of "very very soon" or "in a short period of time."

I can't look it up right now but I thought I'd toss this out for discussion.

-------------------------------------
• Every joy is beyond all others. The fruit we are eating is always the best fruit of all.
• It is waking that understands sleep and not sleep that understands waking. There is an ignorance of evil that comes from being young: there is a darker ignorance that comes from doing it, as men by sleeping lose the k

I won't look it up either.

Intantaneously means at the same instant as another event.

Let me guess...
Instant would be "Come home this instant"
Instantaneously (Dj-sp:_)) would be "When she calls - I come instantaneously"

Yes... I can come home this instant, but I don't have the technology or magical powers to come home instantaneously.

OK, Jennie(sp) from the bottle said "When Al calls - I come instantaneously

Dimandja,

You seem to be confusing it with "simultaneously".
"Intantaneously" is close in meaning with "instantly".

According to dictionary.com,

in·stan·ta·ne·ous:
1. Occurring or completed without perceptible delay: Relief was instantaneous.
2. Done or made as quickly or directly as possible: an instantaneous reply to my letter.
3. Present or occurring at a specific instant: instantaneous velocity; instantaneous pressure.

in·stant·ly:
1. At once.
2. With insistence; urgently.

I don't agree with the difference between instaneously and instantly. Both words are based on the concept of an instant, which is a non-measurable point in time.

Death occured in an instant.
He died instantly.
Death was instantaneous.

I think they all mean the same thing. No measureable time difference between the act of dying and the precipitous event.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Is instant death would be = instantanious death?
But no one speaks like this, I haven't heard.
Is "instantanious" kind of pompouse form of saying "chump kicked the bucket?

I would say no more than that instantaneous and instantly have a mild difference in flavor, as might black and white pepper. I'm more than happy to use either on my eggs; if I have a choice, it's a matter of the whim of the moment. :)

Bob

ESquared said:
Yes... I can come home this instant, but I don't have the technology or magical powers to come home instantaneously.
I think this is one of those situations where there is a difference between the true meaning of a word and its colloquial usage. Such is the nature of language evolution.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Does language evolution shortening words or ... how do I say it in opposite to shortening? Gosh.....I am losing it

It's clear they can be synonyms in some situations, but they are not identical. Instant coffee isn't the same as instantaneous coffee.

I stepped into the alien laboratory and was instantly taken to another planet. The journey to that planet took several minutes.

I stepped into the alien laboratory and was instantaneously taken to another planet. The journey took no time at all.

So... I still maintain my colloquial understanding that instant means without delay and instantaneously means without the passage of time. Not the same thing.

And it's a big debate whether the true meaning of the word IS the colloquial understanding, or not. Perhaps it's a regional thing. (A great thing to blame differences on!)

Colloquial usage often leads to changes in definition. Slang words are wonderful example of this type of transformation.

In my opinion, 'instant coffee' is a marketing phrase which has wormed itself into the lexicon, but is still a misuse of the word instant.

ESquared said:
... instant means without delay and instantaneously means without the passage of time ...
What is the difference between 'without delay' and 'without the passage of time'? Or perhaps you can define delay (in this context) without passage of time?

Good Luck
--------------

Delay refers to the beginning of some event, which may take additional time.

Without the passage of time refers to the beginning and completion of the event in the same, er, instant.

You are correct that my choice of words unclear.

So, if I understand correctly, you are suggesting that both instantly and instaneously imply immediate beginnings, but instantly implies a delayed finish whereas instaneously implies immediate finish as well?

Good Luck
--------------

Come on guys, you can have instant coffee made intantaneously when you press the "brew" button. Another event.

>I stepped into the alien laboratory and was instantly taken to another planet. The journey to that planet took several minutes.

No. The journey to the other planet took place the instant you stepped into the laboratory: instantaneously. Again, another event being synchronized.

The journey began instantly, but the transit was not instantaneous.

The idea I'm trying to get across is that the time between stepping in and the start of the journey was minimal. It would be hard to measure what time I actually was IN the laboratory, but to my perception... once I got in--a judgment call--I instantly was taken. But the journey took time.

I suppose the way I'm seeing this, I could say

I was instantly taken instantaneously to another planet.

Okay, I don't know what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm putting in a meaning which exists only in my head. It's possible. Lots of things exist only in my head that I think correspond to real-world things. Like the belief that my spleen is full of Cheez™.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back