Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good vs Well 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGarcia87

Technical User
Jun 24, 2002
US
Sometimes I don't know when to use "good" or "well". In "I'm doing well" or "I'm doing good" both sound correct to me. Is only one right? What is the rule on this? Even "He did well on the test" or "He did good on the test" sound proper.

Yes, only one is right. Well is an adverb and should be used in those cases where the part of the sentence being modified, or clarified, is the verb. Good is an adjective and should be used when modifying nouns.

I'm doing well is correct because it is the verb doing that is being clarified. He did well on the test is correct because it is again the verb (do) that is being modified.

He is a good boy is correct because good is modfiying the noun boy.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I think good is an adjective, and well is an adverb.

"I'm doing well" is good.
"He did good on the test" is bad.

Reminds me of the politician who went to Washington to do good, but ended up doing well instead.

(As in "well off"... I don't think "good off" is an acceptable coinage.)

Dimandja is generally correct in saying that good is an adjective and well is an adverb. Is one exception that I know of -- its use in the sentence All is well. This usage has always seemed archaic to me, though.

There is one usage of good and well that seems a bit problematic -- the word's use with feel, as in I feel good. I've heard I feel well, which seems incorrect to me, unless you're saying that your hands are numb, which is impeding your ability to feel. If you're trying to relate your general state of being, I feel good seems correct to me, as the construct makes good a predicate adjective describing yourself.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

I think the generally accepted use in that situation is well. I'm doing well refers to health, or a sense of wellness.

In my experience, the most obvious sign of a grammar snob is the use of the expression, "I feel well," instead of, "I feel good," because the question, "How do you feel?" is used so often in daily conversation.

Somehow, I can't quite picture James Brown singing "I Feel Well".

Susan
"People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

I'm doing well is correct. You need an adverb here to modify the verb doing. Besides doing good is used, perhaps idomatically, to describe the performance of good deeds.

If you say I feel well, you're using an adverb which is describing the verb, not you. I feel good, as good is an adjective, describes the subject of the sentence.

entaroadun said:
"How do you feel?" is used so often in daily conversation.
I often here, too, How's it going?. My standard smartassed answer is generally, "It goes. Exactly how well, I don't want to say."

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

There seems to be a lot of misunderstanding here. Here's an overview of how "good" and "well" should be used:

The short answer to the original question is that both "I am good" and "I am well" are grammatically correct responses to the question, and in fact, if any is preferable, it is "I am good". Anybody who says that "I am good" is incorrect does not really understand how these two words fit into the sentence.

Good is an adjective, and only an adjective.
Well is usually an adverb, but can be used as an adjective, similar in meaning to "good", but usually specifically in reference to a state of health.

In the sentence: "I am _______.", the blank is basically ALWAYS an adjective or a noun, not an adverb. I don't know why people seem to expect an adverb here. I am blue. I am happy. I am sad. I am tall. The verb that takes the place of the blank modifies (describes) the noun "I", not the verb. When you say "I am good" or "I am well", you are describing yourself, not your action of being. You are not telling people how well you are being. The word "good" or "well" here is an ADJECTIVE in both cases.

Since we expect an adjective here, both good and well fit grammatically, and unless you are specifically referring to your health, it is probably better to reply with the more general "I am good".

Other words that function in a similar fashion are: "feel", and "look". "I feel good" is correct and preferred. "I feel well" is correct as well, but may have the implication you are talking specifically about health, which may not be the case. In this case, the "well" is still an adjective. If you were using "well" as an adverb, you would be bragging to people about your ability to "feel", which is not at all what you are trying to say. The exact same thing applies to "look", or "smell". "I look good", "I smell good".

So fear not, James Brown can continue feeling good without breaking the rules of grammar!

The uses of well as an adjective are explained below. (from the Mirriam webster on-line dictionary)
Main Entry: well
Function: adjective
1 a : PROSPEROUS, WELL-OFF b : being in satisfactory condition or circumstances
2 : being in good standing or favor
3 : SATISFACTORY, PLEASING <all's well that ends well>
4 : ADVISABLE, DESIRABLE <it might be well for you to leave>
5 a : free or recovered from infirmity or disease : HEALTHY <a well man> b : completely cured or healed <the wound is nearly well>
6 : pleasing or satisfactory in appearance
7 : being a cause for thankfulness : FORTUNATE <it is well that this has happened>

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

vonvas said:
The short answer to the original question is that both "I am good" and "I am well" are grammatically correct
Of course. But the meaning is different, and they are not interchangeable. SQLSister is on the mark.

Of course. But the meaning is different, and they are not interchangeable. SQLSister is on the mark.quote]

Every single function of the adjective "well" as listed by SQLSister can be filled by the word "good" as an answer to the question "How are you?"

Please give me an example of a situation where the meaning between good and well is different enough to make the two words not interchangable when used as a response to the question "How are you?" "Well" tends to be used more for questions of health specifically, but it is absolutely correct to use either as a response to that question.

You have already given us a caveat: ""Well" tends to be used more for questions of health specifically, but it is absolutely correct to use either as a response to that question".

I agree that either answer is grammatically correct. I am sure that I will usually understand that health is not what I am being told about.

[tangent alert, tangent alert]

3 : SATISFACTORY, PLEASING <all's well that ends well>

It tickled my brain to see this one in my head...

Code:
All's satisfactory that ends satisfactorily

(I think I used those words correctly)

Anyways, thank you SQLSister for the brain giggle
[/tangent alert, tangent alert]

~Thadeus

Thadeus - you're welcome. Thanks for sharing your giggle. I needed one this morning.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Nice one, Thadeus.

-------------------------------------
It is better to have honor than a good reputation.
(Reputation is what other people think about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back