Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialed vs. Dialled 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwbMitel

Technical User
Oct 11, 2005
CA
I work in the phone industry and I am constantly writing the word dialled.

Auto-corrects cannot agree on the correct spelling.

My investigations indicate the primAry difference to be American vs. British English. I reside in Canada so British English is more widely used(at least where I am).

My business card reads "Dialed into your business"

This bothers me but I don't want to be a jerk in pointing it out unless I have a good reason.

Does anyone have any insights for me?

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Is it color or colour?

Same difference?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

I use colour, flavour, honour, etc

So yes, there is a difference

So what's the difference between color and colour, apart from the spelling?

Skip,
[sub]

It's the audience. If I spell it as color in a forum such as this, no difference. If I put it on my business card, it says something about my preferences to my business associates

There are anti-American attitudes that I would prefer to avoid. Granted, the majority would not be aware of the difference in this case

Can't help with Dialed/Dialled - 'connected' doesn't have the same connotation. but for Color/Colour, how about 'hue' as a neutral substitute ?

Fred Wagner

Ah. The Ugly American perception.

Where ARE all those examples US imperialist aggerssion?

I guess that this world is at the worse, for the US of A.

Skip,
[sub]

==> This bothers me ...
==> I use colour, flavour, honour, etc So yes, there is a difference
==> It's the audience. If I spell it as color in a forum such as this, no difference. If I put it on my business card, it says something about my preferences to my business associates

The fact that spelling dialed with one 'l' bothers you says much the same thing about your preferences. There is nothing wrong with that; it's okay. If that's the way you feel, then that's the way you feel. That's fine. But be honest about it and even moreso, be consistent in your convictions. Why would you want to use the British spelling for some words, but not others? If you're going to use the British spelling for color, flavor, and honor, then use the British spelling across the board.

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something. - Plato

I have always written dialled (without being aware of any left- or right-pondian influence on the word). Dialed reads to me like it should rhyme with "paled".

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

I agree with Skip. Who are these business associates with "anti-American attitudes" and how does the spelling of a word invoke their ire?

Would you need to change, say, your telephony supplier to please them if it was part owned by an American parent? Interesting concept.

It is time for pacifists to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

I always have issues describing why I believe the things I do.

I probably should have just stuck to "It bothers me" and "It looks wrong to me" and "I think it looks wrong to others"

I would rather not have a word on my business card that looks like its spelled wrong

I suppose I was looking for validation that others see it as I do.

I never said anti-American = ire

The result is more likely to end up with teasing. Much the same as if the word were misspelled.

I would rather not have a word on my business card that looks like its spelled wrong

Can't you have the cards reprinted?

Jim

I'm not the boss, and before I make a deal about it I was looking for a reality check. So far the feedback is negative

I believe the root of your problem is that you are in Canada. A commonwealth country that's awash in influence from the South. Not suggesting anything, just an observation.

Canada. Leading the world at being North of the United States.

To me as foreign german, having learned british english in school, I would prefer dialled, even though I am also spoilt by being influenced by english language and song lyrics and tv shows and movies from all over the world. I don't speak or write pure british, american, canadian, australian or any other dialect of english.

I am perhaps even poor overall by your measures here in this forum, but I can share the pain in general. Such errors also hurt the eye on german business cards.

>I'm not the boss

Well, forward the decision. I'd just point it out, but not suggest reprinting. It's up to him/her to make that decision, you're out.

You can later always point out you know and have said so, if, and only if someone of your customers mentions it. That will make you no jerk to anyone, would it? Only to your boss, perhaps. Who's no jerk in the eyes of any normal boss ;)

Bye, Olaf.

I'm not the boss, and before I make a deal about it I was looking for a reality check. So far the feedback is negative

You don't have to make a 'deal' about it. Just politely show the card to your boss in a nice way and ask if you could have the cards redone and show him the reason why. If he says no, then deal with it and accept it.

Jim

kwbMitel's business card said:
"Dialed into your business"

Looking at the phrase overall I'd write it as:

"Dialled in to your business"

"into" doesn't look right to me in that context.

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Good point annilhilannic

Now that you've pointed it out that does seem odd

I've never canceled/cancelled service with someone over the color/colour of their flag, their preference of alumninum/alumninium, or their favorite football/futboll/soccer team.

I will make a point of trying to align my spelling with whomever I'm speaking to, but I don't let it bother me personally.
For display/consumption by my end-users, I align with whichever they are most likely to be familiar with.

Lodlaiden

P.S. If you ever need a chuckle, ask a British man to say taco. (tee hee)

You've got questions and source code. We want both!
Oh? That? That's not an important password. - IT Security Admin (pw on whiteboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back