Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Don't get confused while driving in South Carolina 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
I just discovered that North, South Carolina is 99.6 miles southeast of Due West, South Carolina.

Do you have any other great place names?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Slightly off topic but I was driving through South Wales the other day and passed through a village called:

Eglwyswrw

..I couldn't even attempt to pronounce it!

Neil

I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours...

According to w can also be a vowel spoken like oo, so Eglooysooroo would already be nearer to how you'd pronounce it with w.
says a w can also be the same as in english.

If you would have passed through Llanfair­pwllgwyn­gyllgo­gery­chwyrn­drobwll­llanty­silio­gogo­goch you'd have seen the longest officially recognised place name in the United Kingdom.

Bye, Olaf.

When I lived in Llanfair­pwllgwyn­gyllgo­gery­chwyrn­drobwll­llanty­silio­gogo­goch in the 1970s, we abbreviated the village name to Llanfair-pg. I can also confirm that when properly pronounced, you and your listener should wear dribble bibs to avoid soiling the front of your shirt...It sounds much like a cat horking up a hairball.

There are many websites devoted to Llanfair-pg's spelling, pronunciation, translation, meaning, and history, but one site that seems to have it all is this one.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Listening to the news in Ohio can be interesting as if someone says Newark or Baltimore without the state, you need to examine the store to determine if it is in central Ohio or another state.

djj
The Lord is my shepherd (Psalm 23) - I need someone to lead me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back