Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XMNT2002 error message, whats up? 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

statechamp

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2002
US
I have a hombre on the network that decided to dual boot his "toy machine" on his break. Well now he is receiving a nice error message that: xmnt2002 not found skipping autocheck. I know that the problem is related to him using Partition Magic 8.0 to resize his NTFS/2000 Pro drive to make room for his 98 partition. A BIG NO-NO! I need to know how to remove the error message. If I boot to 98 it does not appear, boot to 2000 and there it is.

"In the confrontation between the the river and the rock, the river always wins, not by strength but by perseverance."

Usually i see this from Linux boxes. Is 2K the active partition? You sure he didn't try to install Linux as well, or create the partition and not actually install it? pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Hi, I have had this problem myself and i can't seem to get rid of it but I got the error when i was moving my drives around and resizing my partitions with partition magic 8. I would really like to find a way of getting rid of the message too so if you can find a way, please let me know how.

Thanks

Jamie (mortis2000@o2.co.uk)

mortis,

check to make sure your Win2K partition is the active partition. You can do this with partition magic as well. fdisk /mbr or fixmbr from 2K's recovery console
depending on how your partitions were setup initially. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Yes, my xp partition is the first drive (C) and is the active one. I own a 40gb drive and it was partitioned 4 ways, all was ok, it was only when i made a fifth partition using some space from all of the others that it displayed the message. I have a dual boot going with ME and XP and it is all working fine just that the message is annoying.

Thanks

Jamie

If you tried the fixmbr from XP and it didn't work, install Bootmagic or a 3rd party bootloader.

does the System account have full control of the XP drive? If not, add it. ME probably can't see the NTFS partition. It's not worth spending too much time on if it all still works, but Bootmagic should fix it. pbxman
Systems Administrator

I am having this exact same problem, partition magic 8 suSE 8.1 and its a mess. I got the same error messages in XP but once i see it the system will reboot in a few seconds. I thought partition magic would make this easier! Linux installed ok. I made some emergancy disks for partition magic but they were corrupted for some odd reason. I have it partitioned with only linux and XP. How can i access fdisk or just how the hell can i get back in XP? I do have a DOS bootup disk working

Like the other people in this thread I have the same problem? I run XP on my laptop and where going to split up my harddrive with Partition Magic 8.0. All went well until I did the requested reboot. When the computer started again the message "XMNT 2002 could not be found... skipping Autocheck" occured. When I checked my new partition it wasn't there. It looked just like before I ran PM. What did I do wrong?

U can go to linux and fdisk , change the windows partions from hidden NTFS to NTFS type(17). Restart pc and everything will be ok.

I have had this problem but my xp still runs okay but it just has the annoying message, however, this could be because i don't have linux on (Thank God) but it is a very strange problem?!!?!!?

I had this error message and an automatic reboot after resizing my NTFS partition using PartitionMagic 8 to install Linux. The PartitionMagic documentation was no help, Meggie Yang's post gave me the answer.

Thanks!

I too, have this xmnt2002 problem. However, Partition Magic had nothing to do with it. The problem came up after I "Ghost"ed a 60gb HD onto an 80gb HD. It is an annoying message. Apparently, skipping autocheck doesn't seem to do any harm. I do not use Linux. I'm running Windows XP. I'd like to know the solution to eliminating that annoying message.

statechamp,

If memory serves me right, PM adds xmnt??? to this key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute

It's a REG_MULTI_SZ (i.e) Binary, so open in REGEDT32.

It should contain Autocheck Autochk *

BE VERY CAREFULL EDITING IT !!!!!

Ian

mapleleaf:

Mine looks like this:

autocheck xmnt2002 /bat="H:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PQ_BATCH.PQB" /win="H:\WINDOWS" /dbg="H:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PQ_DEBUG.TXT" /ver=262144 /prd="PartitionMagic"
autocheck autochk *

I also have this problem, and i have used Partition Magic 8.

Quas,

Now you see why you get the error message about xmnt2???.

The following reg file will restore it. (i.e remove the first two lines that you see)

Ian

--------------- Cut Here -------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"BootExecute"=hex(7):61,75,74,6f,63,68,65,63,6b,20,61,75,74,6f,63,68,6b,20,2a, 00,00
--------------- Cut Here -------------------------

I changed BootExecute from

"autocheck xmnt2002 /bat="H:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PQ_BATCH.PQB" /win="H:\WINDOWS" /dbg="H:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PQ_DEBUG.TXT" /ver=262144 /prd="PartitionMagic"
autocheck autochk *"

to
"hex(7):61,75,74,6f,63,68,65,63,6b,20,61,75,74,6f,63,68,6b,20,2a, 00,00"

and the xmnt2002 message is gone!

I'm not sure that i did exactly they it was supposed to be done so please tell me if I should change something.

Thanks for you're help mapleleaf!

Quas,

Now that line in the registry should read:

autocheck autochk *

PM uses it to load their reorg utility at next bootup when you specify your Boot or System drive as a target.

Glad I could help !!

Ian

great tip, mapleleaf. I've never seen that message, but i'll have to remember that fix - im sure it'll come up someday.. :) Good job!

pbxman
Systems Administrator

pbxman,

I'm a long time Partition Magic user (Since OS/2 !!). I've see that message more than once.

Think of the possibilities, now that you know that you can run things from ... !!!!!

One other thing. Take a look at StartUpList. It gives you a listing of all the places that you can start things from, if you run it with the /complete switch.

Ian

yup - i've used PM since version 5 (i think?) as well..though mostly to resize HD's and thats about it. Once thats done, I remove it :)

I saw that startuplist before and loved it. Thats a really cool tool!

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back