Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XMNT2002 error message, whats up? 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

statechamp

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2002
US
I have a hombre on the network that decided to dual boot his "toy machine" on his break. Well now he is receiving a nice error message that: xmnt2002 not found skipping autocheck. I know that the problem is related to him using Partition Magic 8.0 to resize his NTFS/2000 Pro drive to make room for his 98 partition. A BIG NO-NO! I need to know how to remove the error message. If I boot to 98 it does not appear, boot to 2000 and there it is.

"In the confrontation between the the river and the rock, the river always wins, not by strength but by perseverance."

NOTE - For anybody who has partitioned their hard drive and receive the following errors using Partition Magic:
"xmnt2002 not found skipping autocheck"
"autochk not found skipping autocheck"

and can access the Linux partition but not the Windows.

Find the grub.conf in /etc. The Windows partition may look like this depending on what you named your partition and which hardrive you are using:
title XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
make it

Change it to:
title XP
unhide (hd0,0)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Save it and now you will be able to access Windows. If this worked for you as it has done for me please tell me so.

Mark

brogan,

This did indeed help. I didn't have a grub.conf file, the settings were in the menu.lst file for grub. I changed

XP
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

to

XP
unhide (hd0,0)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

Thanks for this. I thought I'd never get back into Winblows.

My case - I used Partition Magic8 to change the drive letter of my bootable partition. It was E: and I wanted to make it C: (I did not have C: at all).
After the restart PM did it work and at the end arrived to the message: xmnt2002.exe "Partition mamgic is unable to read the batch file. Verify that the system32 is not compressed or corrupt." If I click OK I arrive to the login window of XP, but that is all, no miore options, no way to login to the system at all.
I used ERD Commander to get into the system - it seems to be fine, but there is no way to switch back to letter E.
So I am wondering if the registry solution will work?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"BootExecute"=hex(7):61,75,74,6f,63,68,65,63,6b,20,61,75,74,6f,63,68,6b,20,2a,\

Thanks to Mapleleaf for the tip on how to make a reg file (above). Alternatively, you can manually fix the affected registry key as described in this thread, then export that key (to the desktop so you can work with it.) Be sure to edit the resulting reg file by deleting all the subkeys but the one(s) you want to keep. For the xmnt error, this subkey would be the "boot execute" and the hex data that follows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back