Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XMNT2002 error message, whats up? 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

statechamp

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2002
US
I have a hombre on the network that decided to dual boot his "toy machine" on his break. Well now he is receiving a nice error message that: xmnt2002 not found skipping autocheck. I know that the problem is related to him using Partition Magic 8.0 to resize his NTFS/2000 Pro drive to make room for his 98 partition. A BIG NO-NO! I need to know how to remove the error message. If I boot to 98 it does not appear, boot to 2000 and there it is.

"In the confrontation between the the river and the rock, the river always wins, not by strength but by perseverance."

This message is for mappleleaf.
I used partition magic and I get the same XMNT2002 message ( I use XP professional). I tried some of the stuff you suggested - Opened a new text document as pm.reg, pasted the following stuff
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"BootExecute"=hex(7):61,75,74,6f,63,68,65,63,6b,20,61,75,74,6f,63,68,6b,20,2a, 00,00

and saved it. The icon did not change ( remained as txt file essentially ) so I could not proceed. I tried running regedit to modify bootexecute. I tried to modify it directly by right clicking on modify and just leaving the autocheck autochk* but when I check the hex values, there is a 00 ( full stop ) between each letter so I changed it back to what it was originally :
autocheck
xmnt2002 /bat="C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PQ_BATCH.PQB" /win="C:\WINDOWS" /dbg="C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PQ_DEBUG.TXT" /ver=262144 /prd="PartitionMagic"
autocheck autochk *

I have also noticed that the disk defragmenter does not work ever since I got this problem.
I know this is a dangerous ground to tread on so can you please tell me exactly how to modify it ?
please help !
Gaurang

gpatel26,

Sorry for the delay, my power and internet was out !!

As long as you can right-click on the icon and select merge it should work, or you could use REGEDT32 and do it by hand

Ian

Everyday the Computer Gods pick one person to be "it". Maybe, today is your day !!

Hi Ian,
I don't get the merge option when I right click on the icon - it just stays a text document :(. I will try editing from REGEDT32 - just one question though it may sound silly - in the edit-multi string window that pops up should I cut out the first two lines:
autocheck
xmnt2002 /bat="C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PQ_BATCH.PQB" /win="C:\WINDOWS" /dbg="C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PQ_DEBUG.TXT" /ver=262144 /prd="PartitionMagic"
and leave just the autocheck autochk* line in the value data field ??
thing is that if I do that and check the hex values it goes somethings liek this 61,00,75,00,74,00,6f,00,63,00,68,00,65,00,63,00,6b,00,20 e.t.c I am not sure if 00 is the ASCII charachter for space - should it be there in the first place ?

And do you think the defragment not working is due to this problem ?

thanks
gpatel26

gpatel26,

Just leave the 'autocheck autochk *' and remove the rest.

It should not affect Defrag, since that is driven from:-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\DefragPath]
@=hex(2):25,73,79,73,74,65,6d,72,6f,6f,74,25,5c,73,79,73,74,65,6d,33,32,5c,64, 66,72,67,2e,6d,73,63,20,25,63,3a,00

That translates to %systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc %c:

Ian

Everyday the Computer Gods pick one person to be "it". Maybe, today is your day !!

Thanks a lot Ian !
got rid of the message and my defragmenter is working fine.
thanks once again.
gpatel26

Mapleleaf,
I am also using XP Pro and PM 8.0 and have the same problems as gpatel26 ie: could not merge icon, etc. When I try to edit the multi-string manually it changes the value data but when I reboot, the error message is still there. When I go back to Regedt32 the data is back to the original value (xmnt2002 /bat="C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PQ_BATCH.PQB" /win="C:\WINDOWS" /dbg="C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\PQ_DEBUG.TXT" /ver=262144 /prd="PartitionMagic"
autocheck autochk *). I cant get the modification to stick. Any help would be great.

flyin3d,

Let's run through making a reg file. Find an Empty area on your desktop. Righ-click and choose "new" and then "text document". It will create an icon on your desktop with "new..." highlighted. Hit backspace and type PM.REG
The key here is the .REG extention. Hit Enter and choose OK.

Now highlight ALL the text below BETWEEN the Cut Here lines. Right-click and choose copy. Go to the Desktop. Right-click on the PM.REG icon and choose Edit. Paste the text. Go to the Top Right corner and click close. Double-click on the icon and answer Yes. Reboot. Delete the PM.REG icon.

Ian

--------------- Cut Here -------------------------
REGEDIT4

"BootExecute"=hex(7):61,75,74,6f,63,68,65,63,6b,20,61,75,74,6f,63,68,6b,20,2a, 00,00
--------------- Cut Here -------------------------

Ian

Thank you for the fix.

I've been having the same problems with the xmnt error at startup. I have tried editing my registry as posted by mapleleaf, and also tried making the PM.REG icon. Both of these worked and got rid of the error message. However the next time I try to partition in Partition Magic, after I am prompted to restart and do so, the message just comese back. What should I do??

sthompson,

Did PM finish the operation that you had scheduled ?? If it did, then you could use pm.reg to remove the error message.

I'd suggest that if you have PM version 8.00 that you download the update to version 8.01.

Ian

Ok, i`ve the same problem, but i cante colve it, because there is no linux and no windows ;).

What ive done:
I deleted my linux partition and add it to the rest of the hdd. This resulted a restart. Then ive got the grub bootloader, but with the winx cd i execute fixmbr and it was ok.

Not i rebooted and there are this 2 messages (xmnt2002 & autocheck missing ->reboot, cant do anything).

SO what coul i do?
how could i run fdisk? There is no linux!

St i should add: All hdds are on raid.

Help me plz, thx!

I really need help... I am running XP and created a partition to install 98 but the 98 install failed so i deleted the partition and actived my XP partition but now im getting 2 errors...

XMNT2002 Program Not Found
AUTOCHK Program Not Found
Skipping Autocheck
and then my system reboots...

any ideas?
I used Partition Magic 8 to do this by the way...

hi, i just had a problem with this xmnt2002.exe thing and googled it. this was the only thing to come up that appears useful.

i see that you've concluded editing the registry in the said fashion will solve the problem.

but my problem is a little different. i've encountered the one you speak of before and just ignored it. but now i have a more sever version of it. the error message windows xp gives when i boot up is longer than it was before and asks me to press any key to continue. but of course pressing any key does not instigate any continuing. so i can't get into xp, not even in safe mode or anything.

so i'm in 2k at the moment and wondering what to do.

is there a way to edit my xp registry from 2k? or does anyone have any other fixes?

Hi

Had exactly same issue with XP Pro and Redhat 9 (all went a bit Pete Tong). To the point where i could not get XP to boot. Had to use XP recovery console and delete Linux partitions, reformat these to NTFS, install a second copy of XP on this partition and then install partition magic on this second copy of XP. You can then use partiton magic to re-enable the original XP partition. Doing this cleared the Autocheck/XMNT2002 errors and I saved all my XP data. A bit long winded but hey it worked.

I had the xmnt 2001 problem as well. Fortunately for me I noticed immediately and I easily solved the problem by doing a system restore to the time when the error first appeared. The error message diasppeared and problem solved.

I'm having the exact same problem as Stefan911.
I get the following error when trying to clone my current C drive to my new sata I drive

Batch(1611) Bad system file name, file 9(48)

CHKDSK /r /f is useless and reports no errors or fixes

Can someone please (and I'm on my knees here) respond to us, as I need to clone this drive its so Important

Thanks

I was trying to make a ghost(2003) copy of an NT4.0 Domain controller 4.3Gb hard drive. But when I tried to boot the copy I got the error "autochk not found-skipping autocheck" and the system reboot continuously. I solved it after realizing that the hard drive had once been mirrored but that the second mirror drive had been removed so the drive under disk administrator showed a brocken mirror. Once I cleared the brocken mirror the ghost copy booted fine. Reading thru your thread sparked off the search into the mirror status. Thanks.

Hi,

I have another variant of the XMNT2002.exe problem:

I use XP & PM8. I tried to re-assign new Drive Letters to my partitions using PM. Unfortunately, something went wrong.

XP freezes at boot-up, saying "XMNT2002.exe: PM is unable to read the batch file" -- nothing goes except power off.

I ran the the DOS prompt from a Windows Setup CD to check out the system. What's kinda funny is that my boot partition is invisible! All other partitions are visible.

My guess is that for some reason, my boot partition is not assigned a drive letter. Thus, DOS cant "see" it. This might also be the reason why PM cant find its batch file, and hangs. Is this a possible explanation?

How can I manually assign the drive letter C to my boot partition? Is there any way to do this from a DOS prompt, or from a Knoppix (CD-based Linux system) environment maybe?

I dont have rescue disks made because my PC dont have a floppy.

Regarding the xmnt2002.exe error

I had the same problem on a XP Pro box. My copy of Partition Magic 8 was on a D drive. The C drive was formatted and the OS was upgraded to XP since the original install of PM. This all started when I tried to resize the D and move it to the right to get room to resize my C drive.

This sequence seemed to repair it

1) I first told PM8 to resize the D back to the original size

2) Reinstalled PM8

3) Resized the D

4) Moved D

5) Resized C

Each of the steps required a reboot to complete.

Hope this helps

AW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back