Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XMNT2002 error message, whats up? 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

statechamp

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2002
US
I have a hombre on the network that decided to dual boot his "toy machine" on his break. Well now he is receiving a nice error message that: xmnt2002 not found skipping autocheck. I know that the problem is related to him using Partition Magic 8.0 to resize his NTFS/2000 Pro drive to make room for his 98 partition. A BIG NO-NO! I need to know how to remove the error message. If I boot to 98 it does not appear, boot to 2000 and there it is.

"In the confrontation between the the river and the rock, the river always wins, not by strength but by perseverance."

mapleleaf,

Even though I'm running XP Pro, I had that blasted xmnt200 message.
Thanks for your tip. I ran regedit and modified the line on Boot Execute to: autocheck autochk *
The message no longer appears.

Everyone, great suggestions on how to fix this terribly annoying problem. BUT ..... my issue is that XP won't boot at all!! I get a hard stop after the XMNT2002/autochk message appears.

And like many others I did use PartitionMagic to add a partition. The original installation on my laptop was just XP. I used PM to make another partition for Linux. Linux will now boot but XP hangs.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this? Hoe do I get my system to stop the autochk and boot. I'd like to try the reg hack mentioned, but unless I can boot to XP there is no reghacking to be done!!

Thanks .....

legba42,

Can you see the XP partition from Linux. If so, look for the XMNT2002.exe and rename it, along with any PQ_*.* files that are in %systemroot%\temp

Ian

Ian,

Well, good suggestion. I've been trying for a while to mount my XP partition in Linux, but keep getting the error "fs type ntfs not supported by kernel". I'm running RedHat 8.0.

Any suggestions??

Thanks ....

legba42,

Try this Linux HowTo:-

I know very little about Linux, but let me ask this question. Where did you put LILO ??. I hope you put it in the Linux ROOT Partition as per this FAQ

When you come to the Lilo-Section, specify your Linux-root-partition as your boot device because the Master Boot Record (MBR) of your harddisk is owned by Windows NT. This means that the root-entry and the boot-entry in your /etc/lilo.conf have the same value. If you have a IDE-harddisk and your Linux-partition is the second partition, your boot-entry in /etc/lilo.conf looks like:

boot=/dev/hda2

If you have two disks and your Linux resides on the first partition of your second disk, your boot-entry in /etc/lilo.conf looks like:

boot=/dev/hdb1

Run lilo with a kernel that matches your system. Check the kernel by booting from diskette first if you are not sure.

If you cannot boot Windows NT now, you have a problem. I hope you have created a repair-disk recently.

Ian

hello ,
I am new to windows 2000 (just installed it ) so pls treate me as a complete newbie
I have this exact problem in my win 2000 pro .. i used partition magic 8 but decided to NOT make another partition .. so i have only one partition C:
but i get the stupid error on startup .... skiping autochk
plz instruct me step by step as to what should i do ?

utav,

Find and Empty area on your desktop. Righ-click and choose "new" and then "text document". It will create an icon on your desktop with "new..." highlighted. Hit backspace and type PM.REG. Hit Enter and choose OK. Now highlight ALL the text below BETWEEN the Cut Here lines. Right-click and choose copy. Go to the Desktop. Right-click on the PM.REG icon and choose Edit. Paste the text. Go to the Top Right corner and click close. Double-click on the icon and answer Yes. Reboot. Delete the PM.REG icon.

Ian

--------------- Cut Here -------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"BootExecute"=hex(7):61,75,74,6f,63,68,65,63,6b,20,61,75,74,6f,63,68,6b,20,2a, 00,00
--------------- Cut Here -------------------------

The error is gone , thank you mapleleaf but does this mean that my sistem is "fixed" ?? or i have just remouved the error ? 10x anyway
regards utav

Utav,

You've removed the message and "fixed" your system. Unless you have other problems, we don't know about ! [smile]

Ian

I'm getting this same error message. I've used PM8 on a WinXP system to resize my boot partition. I've amended the registry and the error message has gone. However I was a little hasty when I resized C: and recently aquired another hard disk. So, I would like to give back the space I took from C: but I get the "XMNT2002 program not found - skipping autocheck" whenever I try to do anything to my boot partition. PM8 works fine when I adjust the partitions on my second hard drive. So I assume there is nowt wrong with the PM8.

Any help/advice to this PM-noob would be rewarded with a pint if I could cram it thru the cable!! :)

Cheers,
Yoda - the not so wise - toka

Yoda,

Somewhere in the directories under your PM installation will be a boot or rescue disk directory. It will make you a two disk bootable copy of PM. You boot from Disk1 and then insert Disk2 and PM will run.

This gets around the problem of the disk you are working on being locked. Try it and you will find it's a lot faster than the GUI.

Mine's a Newcastle Brown !!

Ian

Everyday the Computer Gods pick one person to be "it". Maybe, today is your day !!

Then how to resolve xmnt 2001....
I've used PQmagic 7,and the problem came up.

QinSheng,

Find my message to utav above and follow the directions

Good luck

Ian

Everyday the Computer Gods pick one person to be "it". Maybe, today is your day !!

mapleleaf,

I've found the messsage to utav above.
Do you mean that it's all the same as xmnt 2002......?
And if the 2 problems both came up in my computer,
what can i do?

QinSheng,

It will fix the xmnt2001 message as well. Post back if you still have problems.

Ian

mapleleaf,

Thank you very much!All the problems have been disappeared.^_^

QinSheng,

Glad I could help !! [smile]

Ian

I am running windows2000 and have same problem. I used partionmagic couple of years ago and can't recall ther version I used.

Tried the suggestion of creating PM.REG as suggested by mapleleaf (thx, mapleleaf), answered yes, reboot, still got the same error when run norton disk doctor("the operating system or another process has exclusive access to this drive or some of its files..."). What can I do now?

Thanks,
xmz

xmz,

This KB article from symantec should explain the NDD error message:-

Error: "This drive is in use . . " in Norton Disk Doctor when there are no problems with the hard drive.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back