Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 Second Edition shutdown problem 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

dachang

MIS
Nov 1, 1999
US
Visit site
Hello,<br>
As you may or may not know, Win98 Second edition has a shutdown problem in which the &quot;windows is shutting down&quot; screen just freezes when you attempt to shut down your PC.<br>
I have gone unto the microsoft web site to investigate. It is a documented problem which Microsoft suggests that we follow a bunch of detailed steps to troubleshoot our software and our hardware. They then suggest that if all else fails, to apply a patch that they provided.<br>
I did apply the patch to each PC on my network. They seem to work fine for a little while, but the computers seem to regress back to the point where they can no longer shut down again. Here are my opinions/questions:<br>
<br>
1) it is very clear that the shutdown problem is Win98 Second Edition specific. The problem lies with Win98 SE, and not our software/hardware. So why is Microsoft suggesting that we try all these steps to troubleshoot our hardware/software?<br>
<br>
2) the patch does not work permanently, as the computers just reverts back to their original problem after a while. Does anyone else have any suggestions?<br>
<br>
My network consists of brand new Compaq Prosignias (PIII 450, 128 RAM, etc.) with the latest drivers. I just don't think it is my hardware/software. <p>D. Chang<br><a href=mailto:dkc@llsi.com>dkc@llsi.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

The shutdown problem related to anti virus software can be fixed by just disabling the scan on shutdown option. I didn't have to disable the software all together.

Glenn

I find that the easy cheat is to leave the sutdown as &quot;re-start in MSDOS&quot; This way you at least shut down Win98 cleanly, so that a power-down dosen't hurt.

aj24,

There is a known resouce conflict between ATI and SBLive cards. Go to deja.com and do a search with the keywords ATI, SBlive, won't boot, etc.

The fix is to disable certain programs that come with the SBLive card in msconfig.

Anymore I just use NVidia cards to avoid the conflict.

Win98 Shutdown problems can be caused by a variety of different reasons. The ones is this thread seem predominantly to be the problem of mapped drives. I have experienced this problem also recently with Win98 SE. I have applied the MS fix and like so many people have mentioned it only works for awhile. I know in my case it is the Mapped Drives that are causing the problem, because I tested several times. What I have done, is just create a batch file on the users desktop to delete network connections before shutting down.
Example
net use g: /delete
X-)

Microsoft has encroached on vendor hardware for this problem. I have had it several times. I fixed it bye getting a current driver. Specifically, netgear network cards supply a new driver that fixes this problem. Yes, it is a microsoft problem, but they wont admit it. So some vendors are fixing it. You have to change out your hardware to find which one is the culprit. Then leave the new stupp in the machine. Mine works fine now.
&quot;YES, CHANGE YOUR HARDWARE!&quot; Your hardware drivers and microsoft drivers don't get along.

After many months of following this forum, I have finally found the answer for my shutdown problem. I downloaded the latest version of my BIOS, and now my computer shuts down and off the way it's supposed to. We have a six-station network with Windows 2000 server, and Windows 98se stations, but had the same problem before we changed from Novell server to Windows 2000 server. I found out that just because a computer is new, that doesn't mean that it is running the latest version of BIOS for the motherboard. I hope this helps someone.

We have found a workaround for the shutdown problem (please excuse me if this has already been posted, I am new to this forum). Create a shortcut, command line should be:
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE user,exitwindows
Call it shutdown (or whatever) and use it to exit Windows 98. I have used this several times and it seems to work well.

Just an additional info. I have been trying to fix my shutdown problem for quiet some time now to no avail, Microsoft fixes didn't last long. I have discovered that it's the McAfee that makes my machines hang. I took McAfee from the Autoexec file and Start-up menu and the machine would shutdown. But if I launch McAfee or do the weekly updates, then my machines won't shut down even if I use the shortcut on C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE user,exitwindows or hold the Shift Key to shutdown.

I too have several pcs that freeze during shut down. I have applied the shut down fix and it holds for a short time but always rears it's ugly head again.

Article Q260067 cites that Windows 98/95 experience this problem when you have a significant number of mapped network drives.

The problem can occur because during the shutdown process a WM_DEVICECHANGE message is broadcast to all top-level windows. This broadcast apparently informs each window of a DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE event. If a window doesn't respond to the broadcase system message, the computer may stop responding (ie hang).

When I apply the fix it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I have two users who instead of choosing &quot;SHUT DOWN&quot; choose 'RESTART IN DOS MODE'. Then they power down once they see the C prompt.

Although it's a bandaid, at least they have exited windows before they shut down and so avoid undue stress on the OS and the infernal scandisk upon boot up.

I think Microsoft should take responsibity for their problem. I always have this problem also, can we just sue Bill Gate for this.

This problem has been causing me headaches for months with no permanent fix yet found.
We run a mixture of hardware platforms inc. Tulip's, Fugitsu's, Compaq, Dell etc and this problem has been seen on all of them. The LAN is a mixture of NT and Novell with well over a 1000 clients.

All of MS fixes have been applied with mixed results.

Interestingly, I recently found MS Q260067 and adding this key to the registry on Win98SE PC's is so far working. Further testing is taking place but might be worth looking at if like me your still having issues.

I have a computer that has Win 98 (NOT Second Edition). I recently installed an older CD Writer. Everything seemed to be working fine, start up and shut downs and copies made OK, System was running slow, so I did a Through Scandisk and a Defrag. System would shut down correctly, but would hang on reboot. Now system hangs on both. Please help!!

Oakwind

The way we fixed ours is this:
Click on Start>Log off (username) When the computer logs you off(faster than reboot) don't login again, instead press Ctrl-alt-del and then click on shutdown. This shuts down 100% of the time. It is an extra step, but it has worked for us and the users don't have to wait forever for the computer with the splash screen looking at you.
Another solution:
Click on Start>Restart in MS-DOS mode. When the computer goes to DOS(and it will always) you can then press the shutdown button. Sort of arcaic, but Windoze is like that, you have to either live with it, or find a &quot;workaround&quot; for it. Click.

As I'm sure most of you are aware, there are two patches available from microsoft that are &quot;supposed&quot; to address these problems. One fixes the win98se shutdown hang, and the other fixes the win9x shutdown hang with &quot;multiple&quot; mapped network drives. I have experienced the 2nd option on several clients networks with fewer than 8 mapped network drives (microsoft claims that 8 is the typical count). Although the hot fix has worked in most cases, there has been times when it doesn't. In this particular case I normally just write a batch file that I have the client execute before shutting down that disconnects all mapped network drives.

For example:
net use s: /d
or whatever your drive letter assignments are

Windows 98 not shutting down - problem. When I encountered this problem, I scanned for VIRUS, found it, removed virus, problem solved.

what are mapped drives? #2 do not have fast shutdown on sys config.??????

I have been working on this darn problem on my computer too. I have narrowed it down to himem.sys. If I rem it from config.sys, I can then shutdown my computer. I tried replacing himem.sys with a fresh one and it still occurs.

I didn't read every reply, but here are a couple of things that I have found in my experiences. First, if you shut down your system without first closing Outlook (if its open) the system will take what seems like forever, to close. The other thing is if your running anti-virus software, uncheck the option to scan floppys on shutdown

I did a clean Install of Windows 98 SE and the problem was gone for about 3 months! I suddenly installed directx 8.1 and the problem has come back! Basically over the 3 months I installed program by program as I needed them to pin point what was causing the error! I found it for my system! Now to my knowledge that still makes it a Microsoft problem! Like I said that problem didn't appear for me up until that point. I am running a AMD Athlon 800mhz with over 500mbs of SDRAM, a cd burner, Norton Anti-Virus 2002 (Floppy boot check disabled on shutdown), Directx 8.1, a Sound Blaster Live, Nivida GeForce 2 with MMX 64, and a 20 GIG hard drive. Basic stuff on my machine! All the fixes are also installed and haven't even help to temporarilly fix it for even one shutdown! I am to the point of possibly reformating again and just using Windows 95! I got 3 cd roms of it! Anyone found DirectX be the cause of that error on there system?

I just remembered something I read in here! With the number of people here with this problem is there really a reason we cant all get to gether and sue MicroSoft if only to have are Windows 98 Second Editions replaced or to have our money payed back that we put out for a defective product! After all I am sure they are obviously well aware of this problem by now with those non working fixed and yet are still selling a defective product! I believe that is against the law! Especially over this large period of time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back