Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 Second Edition shutdown problem 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

dachang

MIS
Nov 1, 1999
US
Visit site
Hello,<br>
As you may or may not know, Win98 Second edition has a shutdown problem in which the &quot;windows is shutting down&quot; screen just freezes when you attempt to shut down your PC.<br>
I have gone unto the microsoft web site to investigate. It is a documented problem which Microsoft suggests that we follow a bunch of detailed steps to troubleshoot our software and our hardware. They then suggest that if all else fails, to apply a patch that they provided.<br>
I did apply the patch to each PC on my network. They seem to work fine for a little while, but the computers seem to regress back to the point where they can no longer shut down again. Here are my opinions/questions:<br>
<br>
1) it is very clear that the shutdown problem is Win98 Second Edition specific. The problem lies with Win98 SE, and not our software/hardware. So why is Microsoft suggesting that we try all these steps to troubleshoot our hardware/software?<br>
<br>
2) the patch does not work permanently, as the computers just reverts back to their original problem after a while. Does anyone else have any suggestions?<br>
<br>
My network consists of brand new Compaq Prosignias (PIII 450, 128 RAM, etc.) with the latest drivers. I just don't think it is my hardware/software. <p>D. Chang<br><a href=mailto:dkc@llsi.com>dkc@llsi.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I just remembered something I read in here! With the number of people here with this problem is there really a reason we cant all get to gether and sue MicroSoft if only to have are Windows 98 Second Editions replaced or to have our money payed back that we put out for a defective product! After all I am sure they are obviously well aware of this problem by now with those non working fixed and yet are still selling a defective product! I believe that is against the law! Especially over this large period of time!

SUE MICROSOFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so sick of waiting for them to fix this! I am sure the rest of you are also!

well I kinda dont think that we have a right to sue when u sign the agreement they prob put something in there about sueing them over the 98se shutdown problem lol knowing Good Old Billy he'll prob get outta it and show us all that we cant do that

But that is a good thought I would like to use 98 but I would like to see a check from MS but well never see that. I like 98 but the shutdown prob is 1 of a couple things wrong its not as bad as ME XP(havent used it but heard lottsa bad stuff)95 not alot of stuff that 98 has but is pretty stable so I guess ill stick with 98 for a while

Joshs328

I work in a Win95, NT and Win2K environment so my experience with Win98SE is limited to my personal computer. The systems we have (1000-1500) are Dell, Gateway, AOpen, Micon, Midwest Micro, Zenith, and a few Compaq (Military = Low Bid).

After reading most of the posts I remembered a &quot;fix&quot; for 95 that might help but because I have limited access to Win98 can't try it. The &quot;fix&quot; is:

Start-Run-&quot;type&quot; SYSEDIT-in the WIN.INI file place a &quot;;&quot; in front of run and load. This is suppose to elimintate conflict with programs shutting down in a specific order. It works like a charm for Win95. [noevil] Oakwind
Nashville, TN

&quot;The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy&quot; - Martin Luther King, JR

I installed win98 se on a machine that was running win95 before. The computer would not shut down from the initial install. I looked at the patches and other work arounds but came up with no solution until I dissabled my USB. Now the machine shuts down. I gues the next step is to find the updated USB driver.

Gary

I have encountered this shutdown problem. I installed a Linksys NIC and router. Since then I have had intermittent shutdown and startup errors. Shuts down fine in safe mode. I am not sure whether the NIC card is the source of the problem or whether it just caused another problem to manifest itself. I went through the MS troubleshoot and patch scenario with no results. I completely uninstalled my Soundblaster live stuff using the &quot;Cleansweep&quot; procedure from Creative. No difference. I left the sound card out and disabled autoexec, config and all startup files. Shutsdown fine. Renabled autoexec and config. Shuts down fine. I selectively disabled startup files one by one starting at the top attempting to shutdown after each disable. When I disabled the Roxio stuff (directcd and project selector) for a Plextor SCSI CDRW it shutdown fine. I have a HP photosmart printer on a USB port. If I uninstall the photosmart completely it shuts down fine. My Kodac Digital camera on USB causes no problem. Resulting findings: With system up and running and everything installed, if I uninstall all HP 100 software for USB printer the system behaves or if I disable Direct CD and Roxio Project selector the system behaves. This all started after I installed a LinkSys NIC. Could it be that Win98 SE has a problem controlling drivers with IDE, SCSI, USB and a network running all at the same time?

One detail I forgot to mention above. With everything installed including HP 100, if I unplug the USB cable from the printer the computer shuts down OK. I still get the occasional startup error. vxd ios (04)

TO OAKWIND in Nashville:
I read your post about a remembered &quot;fix&quot; for 95 shutdown problem, to wit,
&quot;Start-Run-&quot;type&quot; SYSEDIT-in the WIN.INI file place a &quot;;&quot; in front of run and load.&quot;
I did it - VOILA! You da man! Have not had a shutdown hangup in at least 10 shutdowns since, had loaded patch and did all kinds of crap suggested in troubleshooter, never lasted more than one or two shutdowns.

Now can you help me go where I can find out why when I try to reinstall Works 2000 from original disk it gets to first page that says to wait a few moments, but I have waited for hours. Using control-alt-delete indicates MSIEXEC is not responding, (sometimes) and other times it just says Works 2000 setup is not responding. ANYTHING ANYONE can come up with will be appreciated greatly.
Jim Smith

I need the driver for a Compaq notebook....1200XL119...
Ccw32.vxd...where can I get it?

Grim> Don't kill it! Your computer has achieved self awareness and doesn't want to die! Solution: big button, restart and check bios settings

chong420> Your message seems off post. If previous post didn't help, then suggest check that CD is still mapped to correct drive.

98se shutdown problem> Run patches as above, [don't think they work long term though!]. Disable fast shutdown. Kill logo.sys. Limit LASTDRIVE=j in Config.sys (or less if poss). Pray.

CapsMan.

For all you having the shutdown problem....try ctrl-alt-del and shutdown one item at a time then reboot. my guess is it is software related not hardware. i found using Office XP or earlier versions is what makes windows 98 hang on shutdown. could be a feature in Office that does not shut down properly when closed. cannot be hardware, there is to many people with different hardware having the same problem. i went into the registry and got rid of MDM (debugger) and CTFMON (which is related to Office). seemed to take care of the problem. caution...back up your registry if you try this.

I think the shutdown problem is definitely in the operating system software. I've tried all the fixes & patches, (with no joy), and I don't have Office.

CapsMan.
The Computer Unprofessional.[hammer]

Hi,

How many shutdown patches you've installed onto your pc? I've got three patches from Compaq to fix the prob: one fixes the fast shutdown feature of W98se, the other fixes network issue and the last does the job for debugging W98se itself. It works perfectly for mine, in fact the same prob happens pretty rare. If you are interested I'll send you those patches.

Cheer
coolkris :-b

coolkris@sinaman.com

Have 10 gig/128 meg ram e-machine with Win98SE.

Have developed intractable shutdown freeze problem in last few weeks, something I never had before.
Have tried: 1. all MS patches 2.Disable AOM 3. disable splash screens 4. disable Fast Shutdown 5. disable virus scan in Run/msconfig. 6. run sfc in Run. 7.etc
Nothing works.
Should I try &quot;fiddling&quot; with PCI bus? PNP Bios? IRQ Steering? (don't understand them)

Any benefit from APCI BIOS enable? How to do this?

My machine works fine for about 5 shutdowns, then freezes for two. Does that signal anything familiar?
Thanks so much. richardhot

As listed above you can create a shortcut on your desk top to shut down windows.
C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE User,ExitWindows

Have tried recommended shutdown shortcuts. They didn't do anything.Shutdown forcing usinf shutdown utilities works but that seems &quot;traumatic&quot;

Thanks.

Please give overview of Power Management tack for APM and ACPI, etc.

Thanks. richardhot

Could someone explain the role,if any,of File System/File System Troubleshooting in Win98SE shutdown problems?

Thank you.
richardhot

Here is something simple I do when I encounter
problems like the ones you have discribed with win98se. In the &quot;system information which is located under,start,programs,accessories,system tools,system file checker & then from &quot;Tools, then start checking your os files for corrupt and missing files,(you have to have your win98se inserted & ready in your cd drive).Then click start,when a file comes up missing or corrupt click restore(making sure that you are restoring from the drive that has your win98se disk)I would also check your internet explorer files from the tools menu, & reinstall MIE from your disk &quot;if required,because &quot;no matter which browser you use if MIE is corrupt or missing any files &quot;it will effect your system!There is also the version conflict section again from the tools menu(making sure I have the latest versions).Software conflicts,start-up config. as well as any &quot;windows updates & checking your registry are all things that might cause these problems.Those are the places I would check out first just to make sure my system is running straight.Good Luck!

Thank you.
I did Start/Run/SFC, which is equivalent to what you're saying, and came up with one bad file which was of no importance.

Appreciate your attention. Wonder if anyone has thoughts on system cache/shutdown freezes; File System/sutdown freezes.
Thanks richardhot

If this shutdown problem suddenly starts-
1. backup your system.
2. restore a previous security (made prior to the problem).

If the problem is gone, it was software related(rebuild from this point).
If the problem remains, it is hardware related(return to latest backup if you want, and try to locate which piece of hardware is the problem).

A further point to note when using MSCONFIG is that if you have a programme that is &quot;not&quot; started by windows, but starts up under its own steam - disabling start up items will not disable it. In my case my problem was caused by NORTON INTERNET SECURITY which has its own setting option for starting with windows or starting manually.

I only realised this by the fact that the icon was still in the tray when I disabled all startup items with MSCONFIG.

Needless to say, this was the offending software - which I have been running with no problems for over 12 months.

Removed this software (because the problem was still there after uninstalling/reinstalling) and now WIN 98 SE is shutting down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back