Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 Second Edition shutdown problem 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

dachang

MIS
Nov 1, 1999
US
Visit site
Hello,<br>
As you may or may not know, Win98 Second edition has a shutdown problem in which the &quot;windows is shutting down&quot; screen just freezes when you attempt to shut down your PC.<br>
I have gone unto the microsoft web site to investigate. It is a documented problem which Microsoft suggests that we follow a bunch of detailed steps to troubleshoot our software and our hardware. They then suggest that if all else fails, to apply a patch that they provided.<br>
I did apply the patch to each PC on my network. They seem to work fine for a little while, but the computers seem to regress back to the point where they can no longer shut down again. Here are my opinions/questions:<br>
<br>
1) it is very clear that the shutdown problem is Win98 Second Edition specific. The problem lies with Win98 SE, and not our software/hardware. So why is Microsoft suggesting that we try all these steps to troubleshoot our hardware/software?<br>
<br>
2) the patch does not work permanently, as the computers just reverts back to their original problem after a while. Does anyone else have any suggestions?<br>
<br>
My network consists of brand new Compaq Prosignias (PIII 450, 128 RAM, etc.) with the latest drivers. I just don't think it is my hardware/software. <p>D. Chang<br><a href=mailto:dkc@llsi.com>dkc@llsi.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I've got Windows me running on my computer here in Seoul Korea. Comp. won't shutdown, is there a patch that I can use? Please let me know

Morgan in Seoul

Morgan_32@hotmail.com

I've experienced same problems in several different hardware configurations. I've solved the problem editting the registry. Just run the &quot;regedit.exe&quot; and find the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control
folder. In the Shutdown folder change the value of the term &quot;Fastreboot&quot; to 0.

This method has worked in several different machines. Hope it solves the problem...

Get this, I installed a new hard drive of 20 gigs and Now the CD player that came with the system won't work at all.
Any ideas, I would love to hear them.
Thanx

chong420,
Your message seems off post, but I'd check the jumper settings on the new hard drive you installed. You probably need the jumper set to the &quot;Master&quot; setting if your CD-ROM drive is on the same IDE cable as your hard drive. The jumper on the new hard drive may be set to &quot;C/S&quot; (cable select) which will not work in all combinations. Also you could check the hard drive you removed and see what its jumper was set to.

There is a shutdown problem with SE, which is something to do with mapped network drives.

I downloaded this patch and have not had any problem since.

I am not familiar with Win98SE, but have you tried the msconfig/advanced/disable fast shutdown option? (run msconfig from start menu/run).

In most cases with Windows 98 not shutting down is related to mapped drive letters. Try removing and network maps that you have and then shutdown see if it makes any difference. If you don't have any mapped drives then I am not sure why it's not shutting down properly.

I was running into the same problem on my company network and in all cases where I removed the drive letters first the system shutdown everytime.

Tom Walter
twalter@mediaone.net

I didn't take time to read all the threads but this has been a problem with Win 98 FE/Se. The patch can be reapplied to stop the regression for a while but the true problem lies with turning off your power control in the BIOS and settings your screen saver to NONE. This is the only way I have kept this problem from occuring again and again. This problem has been around since I beta tested FE. If you want to totally be rid of this problem upgrade to ME. It doesn't have this problem and it is easier to network anyway.
MasterFrodo

WIN98 SE PLUS SHUT DOWN..RESOLVED

I HAVE A S7-530A EPOX MB. I TOO EXPERIENCED THE HANGS AT SHUTDOWN. MY RESOLUTION WAS THE FOLLOWING:

OPEN MSCONFIG:

1. GO TO START UP AND UNCHECK EVERYTHING BUT:
A. SCANREG
B. SYSTEM TRAY
C. LOAD POWER PROFILE
D. LOAD POWER PROFILE (SECONDARY)

OPEN AUTOEXEC:

2. UNCHECK ANY BITWARE, ANTIVIRUS OR ANY PROGRAM
THAT IS NOT PRECEDED BY DOS OR SET BLASTER.

3. NEXT, GO TO MICROSOFT AND GET THE &quot;WIN98SE SHUTDOWN&quot; FIX.

Check the Compaq website for a power management patch. I found these for the Deskpro models I use.

SOLUTION FOR WIN98 SHUTDOWN PROBLEM

1. Right click on the desktop
2. Create new shortcut
3. the command is: 'RUNDLL32 user,exitwindows'
4. Name your shortcut whatsoever

It's not a definite solution, but it works for me!

By the way, I advice you to not try it on a 'sane' PC, it will make the problem appear...

ReDevil2001

Just an update on my network status as regards to the 98 SE Shutdown.....

It has been 7 months now since the patches and reconfig of the individual systems on the network...

All have been working fine....no hang ups at all..so we are on the right track guys.

So lets start putting all the fixes that we have come up with so far onto one FAQ and post it.....how about dachang this is your thread....

Steven Walker
strider@paradise.net.nz

Brainbench MVP Computer Technician

This issue for me is driver specific. Ever since I installed the Voodoo5 5500 Video card and its associated drivers I've had the problem with Win98 SE shutdown. I'm going to try Shutdown Now! but, I feel it's a problem with compatibility and conflicts between Win98 SE and newly installed drivers or programs. For the the purported plug and play capabilities of the OS, Win 98 SE is lacking.

In most cases a combination of the previous patches will work, notice &quot;most&quot; not all.
Recently tried this on a couple of &quot;nothing seems to work&quot; ones and it did the job.
Go into control panel - system - device manager
Open up system devices
Open up PCI bus
Open up IRQ steering (make a note of settings in case you want to put them back!)
Now disable all the &quot;Get IRQ table using&quot; boxes APART FROM THE ONE USING MS SPECIFICATION TABLE, leave that one selected. Now OK then OK again. Reboot and go back into control panel - system - device manager and check the changes have been made. Hope this helps some of you. TTFN. s-)

Thanks everbody. After doing all the M$ stuff I came and read here. On a hunch I disabled McAfee and I can now shutdown.

Hello all,
First, thank you for all the helpful info. I too tried all the MS supposed fixes and find the problem reoccurring.

I will try suggestions as found here....but...

Is the WIN98SE shutdown problem also related to system freezing/hanging when switching drives in any program/My Computer/Windows Explorer? Is this a separate problem or a system of the shutdown problem?

We are currently experiencing this problem on 23 new Dells (Dell and MS tech have no answers and no related info in their libraries).

Next step is to wipe and rebuild with Win98 (not SE).

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Onegurl

Try putting the afforementioned shortcut, works on my machines

C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE User,ExitWindows

I have had limited success with telling the BIOS to assign an IRQ for the video card. That often (but not always) works.

ms patchs are available and fix most shutdown probs
sometimes some programs wont let go of the os, ie norton,
take them out of startup or shut them down by hand before
trying to shut down machine

i do not know issue with fujitsu,but apparently there is one
see above for irq, and other, fixes besides above

X-)

Well, I'll put my two pence worth in...here is a quick alternative if you are sick of seeing scandisk everytime you have to force a shutdown/restart...rightclick 'My Computer' select 'Properties' then 'Device Manager'..expand 'System Devices', double-click on Plug and Play BIOS and hit the settings tab..check the 'Disable NVRam / ESCD Updates'...push ok (reboot may be necessary)...this will give you the &quot;It is now safe to turn your PC off&quot; message.... I think the problem is associated with the faster CPU's...theyre shutting down to fast and not giving the cache time to clean out or for shutdown commands via APM to complete their given tasks. I hear there is a patch that delays the shutdown procedure for 2 seconds to allow for this...sorry I don't have a link for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back