Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 Second Edition shutdown problem 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

dachang

MIS
Nov 1, 1999
US
Visit site
Hello,<br>
As you may or may not know, Win98 Second edition has a shutdown problem in which the &quot;windows is shutting down&quot; screen just freezes when you attempt to shut down your PC.<br>
I have gone unto the microsoft web site to investigate. It is a documented problem which Microsoft suggests that we follow a bunch of detailed steps to troubleshoot our software and our hardware. They then suggest that if all else fails, to apply a patch that they provided.<br>
I did apply the patch to each PC on my network. They seem to work fine for a little while, but the computers seem to regress back to the point where they can no longer shut down again. Here are my opinions/questions:<br>
<br>
1) it is very clear that the shutdown problem is Win98 Second Edition specific. The problem lies with Win98 SE, and not our software/hardware. So why is Microsoft suggesting that we try all these steps to troubleshoot our hardware/software?<br>
<br>
2) the patch does not work permanently, as the computers just reverts back to their original problem after a while. Does anyone else have any suggestions?<br>
<br>
My network consists of brand new Compaq Prosignias (PIII 450, 128 RAM, etc.) with the latest drivers. I just don't think it is my hardware/software. <p>D. Chang<br><a href=mailto:dkc@llsi.com>dkc@llsi.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Shutdown problem aroused on my AMD athlon xp 1700+, hdd western digital 40GB as master on iDE0 and Maxtor 8GB as slave, when added a secon cd unit (combo sammsung dvd reader cd burner), as master on IDE1, the slave is a cdrom asus 52x. The funny thing is the onboard lan sis900 stopped working, it became impossible to set up or delete from control panel/system, every time I tried to config that card I received a msgsrv32 stopped workin and hang the system, besides the shutdown problem.
At last I disabled from cmos setting the onboard lan and installed a brand new encore with realtek drivers on the last PCI slot free.
Now the computer works fine, the last problem was the new ethernet card didn't work well at 100mbps or in auto mode, I should config to 10mbps.
Every time I've tried to restart the onboard lan sis900 the system hangs on shutdown.
I guess there's a problem with IDE channels and this sis900 lan.
Both of the cd units are on DMA and the HDD with smart enebled, changes to this settings didn't solve the problem.

This incidence may not help anyone that has a shut down problem with 98se but i thought i'd share it anyway. I had tried numerous ways to fix the problem on a clients machine without any success. I almost gave up when, just for something to do, I unticked the &quot;disable fast shutdown&quot; in the msconfig (ticked by default). When i went to shutdown the computer rebooted instead. I tried to shut down again and the computer rebooted instead, again. I edited the msconfig again and put the tick back in the &quot;disable fast shutdown&quot; and did a shut down. For some unknown reason the computer shuts down all the way everytime. I'm confused but I'm happy and the invoice was paid by another happy customer.

orkerk you may have hit the nail on the head. I've just checked my Win98 gold(first edition) and fast shutdown is indeed unticked by default(relatively new install).

I've never ever had this problem with win98FE........

This is a simple solution that works for me, when all else fails: hold down your shift key before and during shutdown.

The first problem i confront was:
- my computer restarts when i tried to shut it down, the only way to shtu it down was by the power switch
- then i install the latest update from Microsoft, but it still did the same thing
- then a few days later after using my PC this way, my PC won’t start when i press the power switch after I disconnect the power. To start it a have to jump the pins 14 and 15 of motherboard so it can start.
- Then i suddenly lost my APM capabilities. I can put my PC in suspend mode.
- I reinstall win 98 SE, and still have the same problems, but now, the PC shuts down normally.
- Now a have a new issue. It connects to the internet but the applications don’t recognizes the connection. the act like the PC was not connected to the internet

My PC is Hp pavilion with an AMD-k6 2 processor.

What can i do to solve all this problems?

Do i have a motherboard problem, or is it a software problem?

thanks in advanced for any help........

If there's any private users with this problem,
has a little app (auto shutdown v4.2) that shuts it down successfully. You can even force shutdown if you get a fussy application that refuses to let go unless manually closed. It can run as a service so even when users log off, it still keeps on running. Better yet, it's freeware to private users but still cheap for corporate use.

I had the same problem with a generic PC and it started doing it again after I patched it so it's not a vendor issue. I also never had a LAN at the time so it's not drive mapping either. I did upgrade IE just before it started doing it again so I'm wondering if there's a rogue DLL causing this. Patching it again didn't solve it but Windows does not overwrite a newer DLL with an older one when patching.

My Idea of an OS is one that operates the system not a self contained package of every piece of software ever invented.

Just a little side note here that I forgot to mention.

I have a Fujitsu 10gig drive and it has no problem *except* that it does not like UltraDMA although it says it's UDMA33 compatible. Since unchecking the DMA option in System Manager and the UDMA setting in the BIOS for that drive, it has worked like a charm and is more stable, (and a lot faster), than my Maxtor 40gig, (which still uses UDMA). I made it my boot drive and it's never failed me after 2 years of extremely heavy use.

2 new Seagate 4 gig drives gave up and a new Maxtor 20gig died completely in my PC during that 2 years so don't be too quick to judge Fujitsu Hard disks. I do put a lot of pressure on my disks which may account for the 3 deaths but the one some of you are putting down seems to keep on chugging along no matter what.

Those of you who may be experiencing problems with Fujitsu drives may want to try disabling DMA transfers in System Manager and UDMA in Bios before condemning the drive. It may be the reason you are experiencing the problems.

My Idea of an OS is one that operates the system not a self contained package of every piece of software ever invented.

Like most people we had this 98se shutdown problem on many but not all machines in our organisation. Tried all the patches, fixes etc. such as disabling fast shutdown, trawled through innumerable articles and forums such this one but nothing provided a permanent fix.

We finally managed to find a fix which worked for all affected machines and it is one I have not seen anywhere else on this thread so I thought I would post it.

Create the following entry in the registry:

Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Value: ShutDownWaitTime
Type: DWORD
Data: Decimal 4000

This is the number of milliseconds to wait prior to shutting down, which equates to 4 seconds.

We eventually found that setting this value to 4000 worked for all pc's although this may vary from host to host, some need a longer wait time than others to shutdown cleanly.

I have had the same shutdown problems with win98 se. I just solved the problem after using all the suggestions here and from other sites it ended up being my ethernet card i had to go to the device manager and disable it in the hardware profile. maybe this is an idea that will work for you too.

thanks for all the tips

you know - I have had this problem for 4 years on Win98SE and I was frightened to change anything because I was having sooooooooooooooooo much trouble with StudioDV (curiously V1 went to V7 to try to con the public itnto thinking................. oh don't get me started on Pinnacle)

Anyway now I can't even re-install Studio DV (here I go again) I have nothing to loose. I will return.

It doesn't seem to be referred to in this very long thread, but there's an unofficial Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 1.5 which contains 5 MS shutdown fixes.

The pack and full details are available from Exuberant Software:
FWIW it improved the stability of my Win98 system.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

I had this problem. I got rid by changing from a Windows NT4 Server domain based LAN to a workgroup based LAN. It was a home network so junking NT Server was no big deal.

[lipstick2]

Notleks' registry wheeze possibly improved my ATI all-in-Wonder Pro s/w. I can exit teletext before the TV without locking the system immediately (some of the time) but the Win 98 re-boot instead of switch-off is still there. I downloaded SP1.5 suggested by BigJohnD but have yet to pluck-up the courage to jump...........

ATI s/w is not the best anyway - the 1999 teletext app is worse than the 1997 version and both don't even come close in fuctionality to the 1996 WinTv beauty.

I have had a problem with Win98SE hanging on shutdown since I added a USB2 wireless lan adapter. I tried unchecking fast shutdown & added the MS patches - which worked for a short while then returned.
My bootlog showed everything ending ok, which still puzzles me.
I managed to get round the problem by plugging the adapter into the onboard USB1.1 port. My USB2 ports are an NEC PCI board that I added recently and works well with my ext CD writer.
In my case it looks as though the hang is somehow related to my USB2 card - but I haven't worked out why yet.
I discovered my solution while I was trying to rule out various components, I wasn't expecting this to fix things, my first choice was going to be to look at conflicts with my video card or sound card.

i have tried many of the mentioned fixes to no available so i, restart in safe mode. and shutdown from there in a second, brian
i am new to windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back