Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 Second Edition shutdown problem 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

dachang

MIS
Nov 1, 1999
US
Visit site
Hello,<br>
As you may or may not know, Win98 Second edition has a shutdown problem in which the &quot;windows is shutting down&quot; screen just freezes when you attempt to shut down your PC.<br>
I have gone unto the microsoft web site to investigate. It is a documented problem which Microsoft suggests that we follow a bunch of detailed steps to troubleshoot our software and our hardware. They then suggest that if all else fails, to apply a patch that they provided.<br>
I did apply the patch to each PC on my network. They seem to work fine for a little while, but the computers seem to regress back to the point where they can no longer shut down again. Here are my opinions/questions:<br>
<br>
1) it is very clear that the shutdown problem is Win98 Second Edition specific. The problem lies with Win98 SE, and not our software/hardware. So why is Microsoft suggesting that we try all these steps to troubleshoot our hardware/software?<br>
<br>
2) the patch does not work permanently, as the computers just reverts back to their original problem after a while. Does anyone else have any suggestions?<br>
<br>
My network consists of brand new Compaq Prosignias (PIII 450, 128 RAM, etc.) with the latest drivers. I just don't think it is my hardware/software. <p>D. Chang<br><a href=mailto:dkc@llsi.com>dkc@llsi.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I suggest that you follow the steps listed below to prevent your system from lockups :
Please note that having higher system resources at bootup directly increases your system performance, especially while Multitasking activities are performed simultaneously.
Windows comes with an application that will allow you to configure what programs will start up when you boot the computer. You can access this application by clicking the start button, then click run and type &quot;MSCONFIG&quot; without the quotes. You will then see a window with several tabs at the top. Click on the startup tab. A list of applications will be shown with check boxes denoting which applications are being selected to start at bootup.
The only items that absolutely should remain checked are &quot;SYSTRAY&quot; and &quot;SCANREGISTRY&quot;. Systray displays the time and other icons for applications running in the background. Scanregistry makes backup copies of the registry that can be restored if a software installation corrupts the registry.
The main programs other than those mentioned above are:
Scan Registry
LoadPowerProfile (should be listed twice)
Vsecomr.exe Anti-Virus software
VSCom.exe Anti-Virus software
VshWin32Exe (should be listed twice)
McAfee WebScanX
Eaclean
CpqEasyAcc
Em_Exec
Compaqprintray (if you have Compaq Printer)
Compaqsystray
TaskMonitor

McAfee requires the following:

McAfee WebScanX
AvconsoleEXE
VsecomrEXE
Vshwin32EXE
VsStatEXE

After unchecking some of the other items, you should click the apply button and then the OK button. The system will prompt you to restart, and acknowledge that with yes. The desktop will most likely look different and you may lose some functionality depending on what you unchecked. You can either run the program from the start menu or simply add the check back the way you unchecked until you have a balance between running applications and enough resources to smoothly operate on your machine
In addition to the above, we also suggest that you delete the Temporary Internet files. These temporary files are usually deleted when the program is closed. Usually the temporary files are created in C:\Windows\Temp directory.
We advise that you make it a habit to delete these files from the above-mentioned folder regularly.

1. Double-click on the My Computer icon on the desktop.
2. Double-click on the C: drive.
3. Double-click on the Windows folder.
4. Double-click on the Temp folder.
5. Click on the Edit pull-down menu then click on Select All. All files in this folder should then be highlighted.
6. Verify that you are in the C:\Windows\Temp folder.
7. Press the Delete key on the keyboard.
8. Answer Yes to any prompts about deleting files.

NOTE: If you receive a message stating that a particular file could not be deleted then continue deleting the remaining files until as many files as possible have been deleted.
9. Close all open windows so you are back on the desktop
Also, maintaining your System’s hard drive is equally important. Please perform the instructions mentioned below carefully which will drastically improve your system’s performance.

Hard drive maintenance:

Scandisk and Defragmenter are the two utilities that should be executed on a regular basis. Both of these utilities can be accessed through start, programs, accessories, system tools. You may have a problem with both of these utilities hanging or restarting. If this occurs, run the utilities in safe mode. To get into safe mode:

First restart the computer. This can be done by selecting Start > shutdown > restart the computer. When the first red Compaq logo appears on the screen, hold down the control (CTRL) key in the bottom-left hand corner of the keyboard. This will bring you to the Windows 98 startup menu. When this comes up, release the control key. Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to get to safe mode, which should be number three, and press Enter. This will load Windows safe mode.

Please go to the following Microsoft site and download the shut down patch:

pvasu
[sig][/sig]

ha ha here is some info i have found out...
win98's shutdown procedure is linked to the type of hard drive you have and the configuration it is in.

Test machine:
intel PIII 500mhz
256mb pc100 Dimm
MSI Intel 440LX Chipset
Mitsumi 50X cdrom
Diamond Monster Fusion Video Card agp (3dfx)
3com E-Link III NIC
TekRam DC390U SCSI
Sound Blaster 128 PCI

software:
win98, win2000 advanced server

Hard drives:
Western digital
Maxtor
Fugitsu

When windows shuts down one of the last things it does is try to turn off your hd's i have found that western digital drives configured correctly work best and shutdown is instant maxtors take longer and fugitsu drives are trash and dont work at all not to mention the corrupt themselves.
if you are having trouble with your system shuting down look at your hard drive and bios settings... also try the disable fast shutdown command in MSconfig (Start...>Run...:msconfig Advanced>> disable fast shutdown.

Just ran through this thread while troubleshooting shutdown problems on the IBM 6574-A3U in a 8 Workstation lab where this shutdown issue with SE is CHRONIC (almost 60%-70%). Thanks el mucho.

C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE USER.EXE,EXITWINDOWS works like a charm.

Holding shift while clicking OK on shutdown works like a charm.

Have not yet installed update.

My question is, what housekeeping is the system missing out on by using these methods? Or are we just missing out on the opportunity to stare at a logo while heading for the white switch?

Finally there is a fix on the MS update site that works. It has something to do with mapped drives. I have installed this fix on over 30 machines and it has worked on all except 1 (which turned out to be a different problem). Give it a try, I think you'll like it.

Me? I just disabled Win98SE being the only interface; mine works like 3.11 now. When I boot, it starts in DOS, it doesn't even show me the splash screen; when I shutdown, it simply exits Win98SE and doesn't show the message. I even wrote a little boot menu (because I use something called SEAL Desktop Environment when I'm doing some coding and I don't want Windows slowing me down) and placed it in my AUTOEXEC.BAT after everything else (i.e. drivers) and I wrote a small progie to show the brown &quot;It is now safe...&quot; message. No problems should arise because &quot;this is the way it's been done for thousands of years&quot;. Try it. If anyone wants to know how to disable the Win9x autoboot, check out this site, http://regedit.com or you can run a search for MSDOS.SYS editing tips.

Good luck.

P.S. MSDOS.SYS editing should be done with extreme caution
because it is one of the three important files that
DOS and Windows need to run. Make sure you understand
the text before you go changing settings.

i have facing so many pc&quot;s with win98 o.s that contain this problem
this step may help u to settle this problem...

just click at and download this file PATCHES :
Shutdown498SE

double click to the icon that refer to this filename and follow the instruction.....

if this step still cant solve your problem ,,for temporary just click restart on dos mode ..after that u can shut down your pc properly...until u get the right solution ..

I dont wish to rain on anybodies grissles, but the network I have been looking after for quite some time now is working quite well after I made some changes and added both patches.

The original patch for the shutdown and USER.EXE patch work well in tandem. Plus I also found the Fujitsu HD very slow to shutdown so I ghosted all to WD's. Plus limited the number of drives that can be mapped with the statement &quot;Lastdrive=E&quot; and disabled FAST SHUTDOWN.

Before I had to redo them about every 2 months, since the mod about 3 months ago (touch wood ) we have had no problems.

So let's talk about what works, not what does MS have to do.
We are the Techs lets do what we are paid to do, solve the problem. It appears that not just one fix will do the job. So come on guys and gals lets work together.

Steven Walker
strider@paradise.net.nz

Brainbench MVP Computer Technician

>:):O> The truth is in M$s deep libraries :)
Is it possible that this problem still occurs in WinMe?
Or does anyone actually know how to solve the WinME shutdown isue?
Please write an answer to The_Maegges@gmx.de
Thanks
Maegges

I'd like to know more about shutdowning with FUJITSU hardrdives in WINDOWS 98'. What is the problem and how i can solve it?

Hi all,
I had tried all of the suggestions in this forum without any luck, but for a slightly different problem. My PIII866 on Asus CUSL2 shuts down just fine, but it hangs on some weird &quot;windows is shutting down&quot; screen when I choose restart from the windows shut down menu. (looks similar to the windows starting spalsh screen) Anyway, I solved my problem by accident when trying a fix for a totally different problem pertaining to my DMA settings. Disabling SoundBlaster 16 emulation in device manager was supposed to help the DMA situation and it didn't. But all of a sudden, my system restarts like it's supposed to. It actually scared me because I've never heard it restart since I built it 2 weeks ago. I guess I his resart by accident and I didn't know what the weird noises were at first. I enabled SB16 again (which you don't need unless you play DOS games, the article said) and she locks up again. So that was definitely the cause of my problem. I hope it works for others.....good Luck

I recently had the FunLove, or maybe it's FreeLove, virus on my comp, either way it's a trojan that infects all exe files. I let McAfee handle it, it took like 2 and a half hours. Everything worked fine upon reboot, except mcafee. I says that vsecomr.exe has a validation code that does not match, if someone could help I'd be very appreciative.

When I worked for Gateway, we were getting the same problem with Windows 98SE with the shutdown issue. The patch not always worked. The research I did was that if you have Norton Anti-virus 2000 on your system, this would cause the problem. If you go to their web site they have the step to remedy the issue.

I came across this twice and it was application oriented,
for example once it was Simply accounting. If you used it and saved info upon shutdown freezeup every time. Went to
simply accounting home page and forum suggested to put
graphics performance slide to none. it worked go figure.

Funny you should mention bwb52 about Norton AV2000. The same sometimes happens with NU 2000. I approached their Tech Support and they are looking into it.

An update on the systems....... 4 months tomorrow...still going strong no problems...

Steven Walker
strider@paradise.net.nz

Brainbench MVP Computer Technician

Guess what I have windows me and have the same shut down problem...When I go to shut down my whole screen freezes up. Then I have to use drastic measures and shut the power of....soooo I guess the problem continues. After I shut the power of I am able to restart with no problem.

Have had the same shutdown problems with Win 98SE , now with Win ME... shutdown problems too; Now using the EXITS 95/98 program to shutdown my computer, available (freeware) from the TECCHANNEL.DE site - look for system-utilities;
I'm using this one for 3 days now, so far so good. Another
thing that did work fine, before I installed the EXITS program,
was to go to ALT+CTRL+DEL and then ending all the programs listed in it, except for Explorer and Systray, after done so I was able to shutdown properly. Hope it might be a little help.

i have a gateway w/ win98 se and i have this shut down problem that seems to be a well know problem, i have discarded all programs from startup that seemed never to respond when i would contr+alt+del to end task. but when i use the contr+alt+del to shut down it seems to work fine. i was wondering if this is bad or should i just keep doing it this way or get the patch ms talks about?
any reponses are appreciated thanks....
Jeff tsr in a lonley cold place

MarkusBrutus -

vsecomr.exe is an update checker, not anything real important from what I can tell. Delete the &quot;VsecomrEXE&quot; from &quot;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

I too had the same problem with 98se running on my Acer extensa 390. I have disabled &quot;fast shutdown and removed entry for Bitware from file &quot;Autoexec.bat&quot;. Now it seems to be ok. [b/]

Try the following steps:

1. Type MSCONFIG.EXE in run window.(start-> run)
2.click General tab
3. click button named &quot;Advanced..&quot; in General
4. uncheck all the options except &quot;disable fast shutdown&quot; option. In other words just check only the above option.
5. click ok button to come back to main window.
6. then click &quot;Autoexec.bat&quot; tab
7. uncheck entires for antivirus program , bitware program ....
8.then click &quot;startup&quot; tab
9.check only programs u wanted to start when windows starts.
uncheck all other entires.
Click ok button.

Shutdown your computer and restart again. Hope your problem will be solved.

Have a Dell laptop that will not shutdown, using any process, any ideas? Have tried all the user info from MS without any success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back