Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Win 98 Second Edition shutdown problem 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

dachang

MIS
Nov 1, 1999
US
Visit site
Hello,<br>
As you may or may not know, Win98 Second edition has a shutdown problem in which the &quot;windows is shutting down&quot; screen just freezes when you attempt to shut down your PC.<br>
I have gone unto the microsoft web site to investigate. It is a documented problem which Microsoft suggests that we follow a bunch of detailed steps to troubleshoot our software and our hardware. They then suggest that if all else fails, to apply a patch that they provided.<br>
I did apply the patch to each PC on my network. They seem to work fine for a little while, but the computers seem to regress back to the point where they can no longer shut down again. Here are my opinions/questions:<br>
<br>
1) it is very clear that the shutdown problem is Win98 Second Edition specific. The problem lies with Win98 SE, and not our software/hardware. So why is Microsoft suggesting that we try all these steps to troubleshoot our hardware/software?<br>
<br>
2) the patch does not work permanently, as the computers just reverts back to their original problem after a while. Does anyone else have any suggestions?<br>
<br>
My network consists of brand new Compaq Prosignias (PIII 450, 128 RAM, etc.) with the latest drivers. I just don't think it is my hardware/software. <p>D. Chang<br><a href=mailto:dkc@llsi.com>dkc@llsi.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I have been working on this problem since 98SE came out. I have many clients that I do off site network admin for. You are correct that it has nothing to do with who the OEM hardware supplier is.&nbsp;&nbsp;It seems to happen with processor speeds over 300MHz on Novel Networks 3.x or 4.x. I have loaded both MS Shudown.exe and User.exe. The problem goes away sometimes for a short while and then comes back. It does not happen on every shutdown but on most. Microsoft has been reluctant to fix the problem either because they can’t find the cause or maybe they know the cause and it has to do with Novell.&nbsp;&nbsp;Does that mean the problem is good for NT?&nbsp;&nbsp;I am going to try some of the solutions listed by others in this thread and let you know.

Perhaps you have too many programs running in the background? Several machines at work had the same problem and I shut everything but systray and explorer down in the system configuration utility and it stopped. Ah reckon that there were just so many things trying to shut down that the machine gave up and sat there staring off into space... maybe, maybe not, but it worked.

I have had exactly the same problem with all of our brand new PC's over a Netware Network.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am going to get everyone to log off Novell before shutting down and see how that works.&nbsp;&nbsp;Short term we are shutting down using RUNDLL.exe, changing the properties to read:-<br><br>C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE user.exe,exitwindows<br><br>This does work but what side effects long term use can have I am not sure, so would still like a proper solution.<br><br>

Oddly I have not encountered this problem with 98SE although the majoroty of my network clients are running Workstation. Something to try- (I used this to figure out a similar problem with 95 clients) Log in but don't open any mapped drives (if possible). Try to shutdown. It may shutdown OK. <br>When shutdown would hang,I found that when running scandisk after the reboot I noticed a &quot;fixed&quot; flash when checking free space. I never really had time to figure out why as we updated the network shortly after.<br>I apologize if this is redundant. Thought it might help.<br> <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I have found no updates from MS that actually work.&nbsp;&nbsp;I know that if you log off of your network, the system does not hang on shutdown.&nbsp;&nbsp;Another work-around I have found helpful is to just hold down shift while clicking OK on shutdown.

I guess I spoke to soon. Just networked 3 Compaq Presarios (yuk). As soon as I installed the NICs (Intel Pro 100s) I started getting the dreaded shutdown hang. The other machine is a Compaq Prof. Wkstn. AP400 with embedded NIC which had no problem.<br>Most of the machines I sell are Abit or Intel mainboard based and have never seen this problem before. I wonder if it is somehow a Compaq thing. <br>Does anyone know if Compaq has addressed this problem at all? <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Considering this long thread and the many, many, many other threads in various forums throughout the net...I would say it is not a Compaq problem or any hardware vendor for that matter. <p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I had the same problem on an HP Pavilion. The patch worked for a day or so to stop the lockup on shutdown only.<br>Unfortunately, I also had other performance problems, mainly eating the CPU alive --constantly maxing out the CPU when only running Explorer. (not internet. When I loaded a CDRom burner, then the system would not continue to run long enough to even run diagnostics. <br><br>SO-o-o-o-o-o wound up loading Win98 NOT Second Edition.<br>Everything is working really well now. (Unfortunately, I spent over $300 on a less-than-genius on-site support tech before I insisted on just loading the first edition.)<br><br>NOW microsoft tells me that that the second edition version of WIN98 on the Pavilion Recovery disks is defective... but since the web-published literature on second edition mentions hardware interaction changes that would require new drivers from device mfgrs, I'm gonna stick with the Win98 until I cannot. <br><br>We have a small (under 10 units) network, so microsoft does not recommend that we go to WIN2000, but my primary machine is a hardy homebuilt NT workstation. I would 100% NT4 (very robust) except that one of our programmers thinks he may want to use USB soon --and NT4.0 doesn't recognize USB.

Are you sure nt doesn't support NT4. I have a couple of dell precision workstations here and they have built in USB ports. I am not sure if they work as I have not tested them.<br><br>If only one of your programmers thinks they will need usb support then leave their computer running win98 and switch the rest to NT. That leaves you with one headache and 9 stable units.<br><br>Just a thought,<br> <p> fenris<br><a href=mailto:fenris@hotmail.com>fenris@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

NT4 does not natively support most of the goodies.....USB, Infrared, DirectX &gt;3!<br><br>Instead of keeping the programmers box at Win9x...move it to W2K Pro. You get all the goodies + the robustness and security..as well as stability (from my standpoint anyway).<br><br> <p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

The Microsoft Techs who put on seminars locally repeatedly said that W2K Pro was not a reasonable choice for really small operations. I couldn't get a clear answer as to why, except that perhaps a lot of tweaking would be required.<br><br>If there were a &quot;workstation&quot; variety, as in NT$.0, that would be my first choice, but I cannot afford to have a system down for a week!<br><br>All encouragement for switching to W2K is appreciated...<br>I cannot deal with SE anymore for sure.<br>--maribeth

W2k is basically just WNT5. You should wait for Windows Millenium.

Windows Mill. is the new consumer OS, replacing WIN 98. Anyone concerned about security or stability should move straight to 2000. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Well, I thought I had solved my crash and shutdown problems by going to straight win98, but the price is too high. <br>cannot run the onboard sound chip without SE it looks like.<br>HP tech say HP &quot;must have&quot; changed the driver that Cirrus provided because the driver downloaded from cirrus now won't run the sound chip on the motherboard. The HP support tech suggests I put in another soundcard, but there's not much room in this tight little package...<br>Guess my problems are going to be somewhat hardware specific due to proprietary modification of drivers (and firmware?), and this particular box has gotta go...(am I pouting?) I need the sound card for speech to text transcription[critical], testing wav files for webpages, burning Barbershop practice CDs, etc. Right now, must work sound on Toshiba laptop, then transfer files thru the 98 box for uploads and CD creation. -nasty<br>--mcy

I've seen the shutdown problem many times with Win98SE and have tried many things to combat it including the patch which only works part of the time. What I did find that helps on any PC with a virus shield (Norton & McAfee in particular) is to disable the &quot;scan floppies on shutdown&quot;. Any 98SE PC that had problems hanging on shutdown were fixed with this option disabled. This is an easy fix that you might want to give a try. Please let me know how it turns out.

I had this problem as well. Basicly what I found that fixed it was to delete or rename the logow.sys file in the windows directory. It appears that sometimes the file is corrupt. Hope this helps.

Usaualy it is a driver problem. Try downloading the newest drivers or try installing your pc plainly and then install driver by driver to find out where the problem is. [sig][/sig]

I'm seeing something VERY strange here.
I'm running a home built PIII 650E w/ Abit's BH6 mobo.
After a crash to my system, I reinstalled Win98SE.
Now, my system will NOT shutdown. It only restarts EVERYTIME. No matter how i try to shutdown. Start > Shutdown > Shutdown. or even after a shortcut has been created and using various syntax to shut her down. It only restarts. I tried reinstalling Win98SE. Same thing happens.
Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back