Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why people behave this way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrzejek

Programmer
Jan 10, 2006
US
Just wondering why people behave this way…

They have a problem, so they reach out to ask for help. But – they refuse to provide any information, answer any questions, and sometimes even get defensive when asked repetitively for clarifications. It is like: resolve my issue and use your crystal ball for any questions you may have.

I see this behavior here at TT, but also at my workplace. “Write me a program to help me with my work, but I will NOT tell you what I do and how I do it. Get cracking…”

The outcome: “You people here on TT are useless!” And at work: “IT department does not do anything. And whatever they do do, it takes forever to do.”

[banghead]

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

It takes careful thought and effort to articulate a problem CLEARLY, COMPLETELY and CONCISELY, especially in written form. They want wiggle room.

They basically want to farm that effort out to the programmer/analyst and believe that that approach gives them plausible deniability if things don't pan out to their high expectations.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

Andy, you're right (of course).

Glance at almost any of the threads here on Tek Tips - or most other techie forums - and you see the same thing: Someone asks a question. Then six or eight or more replies are posted - not to answer the question, but seeking to clarify it or to get more information. It happens time and again.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

I know it happens time and again, but why? [ponder]
I can see Skip's explanation, but the question remains.

If you don't provide necessary information, I cannot help you because all what I can do is guess. And - I guess - you don't really need any help, so why do you bother others...?
"articulate a problem CLEARLY, COMPLETELY and CONCISELY" - ahh, one can dream... [wiggle]

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

My greatest frustration is not necessarily the lack of info but more the misplaced focus.

Well over 80% of the time I find myself troubleshooting the posters solution to some undeclared issue. I'd rather tackle the root issue not the buggy solution that the poster has decided is the solution.

the misplaced focus

But think about it. If the question is so vague as to be out of focus, can you blame those who venture a guess that appears to be misplaced.

What happens in vagueness, stays in vagueness.

Neva-[sub]da[/sub] again!

Skip,
[sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
You Energy!

@Skip

In my case it is not that the question is vague necessarily. They can be quite specific with tons of details. The problem is that the question is not about solving the issue but about solving the posters solution to the issue.

I've referred to these as coathanger questions in the past. The person is asking for a coathanger so that they can break into their car instead of saying that they locked their keys in the car. They never reveal why they need a coathanger so they get a coathanger instead of the spare set of keys.

They presume a method to their solution and ask their question loaded with their presuppositions rather than stating their functional problem, CLEARLY, COMPLETELY and CONCISELY.

Skip,
[sub]

You Matter...
You Energy!

When I was just a little programmer, I got assigned a project where the desired result was a printed report showing (whatever). I listened to the client describe what he wanted, took notes, then went off to write some code. What I produced was not to the clients liking, so I did the whole interview-listen-notes-code cycle again. And again. And again.

Finally, I complained to my manager who assigned a more experienced analyst to help me get to the root of the problem. After listening to the client, that analyst presented the client with a pad of print-layout sheets (that's how far back this was). "Show us on here exactly what you want. It has to fit into 132 characters."

Two days later, the client called and asked for another pad.

Sometimes, they just don't even KNOW what they want.

Frank Clarke
--America's source for adverse opinions since 1943.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back