Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to go

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStephan

Programmer
Aug 19, 2003
DE
Hi

I'm now on the 2nd year of my training/study (Germany). This what I do is called "Berufsakademie" and it's just like university but more in the direction of practice training. This all goes 3 years. In this time I'm changing between theory and parctical training every 3 month. At theory I get tought basic theory of IT (languages like C++ JAVA, Software Enginieering, Programming of Micro Prozessing Units Z80 and so on). In my practical phases I'm suported by a big pharmazeutical company and work there in different IT departments. I've been to a department working on network administration and plannings and now I'm in an department where I develop on Lotus Notes and get in touch with SCALA.

When I finished in one year I maybee have the oportunity to stay at this company, I don't know. If I would stay I thought of going to the network administration. But I think that I would like more Sofware Engineering, but this is not a question in our company.
So I'm asking you, if you can tell me, if this what I'm currently doing is something worth. Here in germany the title is Bachelor, but I think the practical part of it makes it more worth.
If I get the oprtunity to stay at the company should I do, or should I maybee look for the "real" job for me. Or what I'm also thinking of is staying a few years in my company and then try to get a job in Software Engineering maybe overseas, when I have more experiences (I'm just 22).

Please help me what you are thinking.

On the one hand it was nice work in the network related department and I met nice people there, but on the other hand I really like Software Engineering.

Kind Regards

Stephan

If your current company guarantees you a job after you graduate, I would stay there for a while...unless a software engineering job comes up before then. Plus, you can always keep sending your resume out while you are at the company as network admin to other companies.

Stephan

First, many of us have "been there", and there is light on the other side of the tunnle.

Next, the culture in North America is very different then Europe. Do your "colleges" and "universities" offer job hunting skill training, and have a program or resource for conducting job searches? Great if this is true.

I agree with the RiverGuy in that you should maintain a good working relationship with your sponsor even if it gets difficult as you move on. Job references at your age are critical, and there may not be many to choose from.

Lastly, I assume you are young. If you can afford it, great time to travel on the cheap. I have seen some guys and gals travel to different countries after graduating -- they use their degree to "visit", and take a relatively low paying job with the intention to enjoy different cultures. (The Britsh Commonwealth have a great plus on this where it is realtively easy to visit other Commonwealth countries - this does not help you, but does Germany have such arrangement with other countries.)

Whoops, one more thing. As we get older, some of come to the sad realization that our career is not our passion. some start over again; some bare with the day-to-day grind and enjoy our passion outside of the work place.

...and of course there's nothing wrong with a bit of passion in the workplace. As long as you don't get caught that is!! ;-)

Stephan,
I want to play the devil's advocate for a moment...
If you stay with the company as a Network Admin for a few years, you may find yourself stuck. Some companies may feel that you are too far away from your education to make it really useful in a field you had not pursued.
The idea being, "Why hire someone trained a few years ago on Software Engineering when there is someone out there who has been doing it since he graduated?"
In the US we call this being "pigeon-holed", or more appropriately, "type-cast".

Hope this helps...
~Kris

PS. As an aside, my college education was as an American History major. I got a computer job to pay the bills immediately out of school... Two years later when I went for "history" jobs (museum, historical park, guide), I was told more than once that my studies were far enough behind me that it was going to be difficult to choose me over the new graduate. Tech industry ever since (over 10 years)

Kris - it seems strange that history skills should "go out of date". I don't think any of us who have studied it to a higher level - in my case Russia 1905 - 1960 and British history since 1750, ever lose the interest and, indeed, passion for the subject. What a shame your potential employers weren't as enlightened!!!

Hello,

first I want to thank you for your replies.

I think if I get a job offered by this company I will take it. As I have seen the department is very big this will give me a good oportunity, because it is not common to work until night there so I will do my job there as good as I can, try to get as much as experience as I can have and by the way in my private time I will work on my experiences of Software Engineering. I found one of my class with whom I will work on a little project. And this seems to carry a lot of fun. And after a few years maybe I will rotate in the company (what also seems to be very common there) or I try to get in a job that fit's me more.
But I think, to work on save place will be better for me than just trying to get something I wouldn't reach right now.
@willir The idea of traveliing arround sounds good, but I think that is not something I would like a lot.
@kris Since there is not offered a course on any university here in germany that focuses Software Engineering in the way that it will give you a good start in any project every company has to deal with giving new workers a training. In my course we had Software Engineering only 2 semster so it seems to be nothing. And this normal throughout Germany.

all right, thank you so far

Regards

Stephan

The idea of traveliing arround sounds good, but I think that is not something I would like a lot.

Some travel is fun. Travel all the time is not fun.

We had a consultant in the office this week who has been on the road for 18 months -- he gets weekends at home. Monday through Friday he is at customer sites. He was with a customer when Hurricane Charley went through his city -- he hasn't been back yet to see if his house is damaged.

I wouldn't find that to be fun at all.

Chip H.

All too true Chip. But then some of these guys can make one or two grand or more a day. I would be content to retire after a few years at this rate. But it is grueling.

They *charge* $1000 to $2000 a day. Their company takes a significant portion of that. But you're right - they do earn quite a bit more than the typical employee. The downside is all the travel.

Chip H.

Well here is a question on the flip side. Do companies in Germany regularly sponsor foriegn IT workers?

Looking to MOVE out of the US and travel the world.

Mel

Mel I'don't know if they do, but I think they are always looking for some knowledge transfer. So maybe you should ask some big houses.

cheers

Stephan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back