Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

they want me to get a flu shot 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 13, 2016
US
I am a system administrator. I work on computers. I happen to do that work for a hospital organization and rarely leave my cubicle. I don't deal with patients or sick people. But yesterday, our manager told us he wants us all to get flu shots.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to get out of this? Flu shots are dangerous and accomplish absolutely nothing. Plus, it may react negatively with some of the alternative medicines I take. There is no reason for me to get one and no reason for them to tell me to get one.

Yeah, I can't see working at any medical location and not being told you have to get a flu shot. I've never gotten one, and have no desire to do so, but in your situation, I would probably just go ahead and get the shot. I've slightly considered it myself once or twice.

I'll have to look that up about live vs not live virus, by the way, from what was mentioned once or twice. When the Pediatrician gave my son the flu shot when he was 1 or 2 years old (I don't remember exact age), she stated that the version for toddlers or small children did not have the live virus, but the one for older folks did. That was definitely modern times, as he's only 10. Has that changed in 5-8 years?

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

@kjv1611
CDC said:
The vaccines either contain inactivated virus, meaning the viruses are no longer infectious, or a particle designed to look like a flu virus to your immune system. While the nasal spray flu vaccine does contain a live virus, the viruses are changed so that they cannot give you the flu.

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Thanks for that, kwbMitel. Good to know.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

First of all, we don't have unions in information technology in America. The advice "talk to your union rep" is worthless."

Perhaps you want to rethink your assessment. While there may be no IT unions per se, there are plenty of IT positions within unions. Here's one now: Additionally, my daughter works with an entire IT department whose members are in a union. I'm pretty sure they would be able to consult with a union rep. So perhaps the advice is not as worthless as you think - just not applicable to you, apparently.

Right off of the CDC website:

The viruses in the flu shot are killed, so people cannot get the flu from a flu vaccine. However, because it takes about two weeks for people to build up immunity after they get the flu vaccine, some people may catch the flu shortly after their vaccinated, if they are exposed to the flu during this time period.

Trying is the first step towards failure. --Homer Simpson

mojoputter said:
Right off of the CDC website:
after their vaccinated,

Somehow I doubt that the CDC would make silly grammatical errors such as using 'their' instead of "they're".

"their" is a possessive determiner, whereas "they're" is a contraction of "they are"

So the "quote" ought to be;

"... after they're vaccinated,... "

OR

"... after their vaccination,... "

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

ChrisHirst's comment:
"Somehow I doubt that the CDC would make silly grammatical errors such as using 'their' instead of "they're"

Don't doubt it. All their pencils have erasers on them.

I lived with the war stories of their little goofs for 20 years until my SO retired.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Everybody seems EXTRA cranky.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Here ya go Chris, please chek for gramatical errors and let the CDC now

Egg-Based Flu Vaccines

The most common way that flu vaccines are made is using an egg-based manufacturing process that has been used for more than 70 years. Egg-based vaccine manufacturing is used to make both inactivated (killed) vaccine (usually called the “flu shot”) and live attenuated (weakened) vaccine (usually called the “nasal spray”).

The egg-based production process begins with CDC or another laboratory partner in the WHO Global Influenza Surveillance and Response System providing private sector manufacturers with candidate vaccine viruses (CVVs) grown in eggs per current FDA regulatory requirements. These CVVs are then injected into fertilized hen’s eggs and incubated for several days to allow the viruses to replicate. The virus-containing fluid is harvested from the eggs. For flu shots, the influenza viruses for the vaccine are then inactivated (killed), and virus antigen is purified. The manufacturing process continues with purification and testing. For the attenuated nasal spray vaccine, the starting CVVs are weakened viruses and go through a different production process. FDA tests and approves vaccines prior to release and shipment.

There are many different manufacturers that use this production technology to make flu vaccines for use in the United States. This production method requires large numbers of chicken eggs to produce vaccine and usually takes longer than other methods used to produce vaccine.

No major errors in the CDC text you quoted .... ... YOUR text however, ...

please chek for gramatical errors and let the CDC now
Has three glaring errors.

Check (it has a 'c')

grammatical has TWO 'm's

And the last word should be know.

The CDC text does have at least one minor error,

... grown in eggs per current FDA regulatory requirements. ...

should be;

"... grown in eggs as per current FDA regulatory requirements ..."

To be grammatically correct English, because "as per" is synonymous with "in accordance with", whereas the usage of 'per' on its own, is a replacement or synonym for "by means of"

Chris.

I'm betting someone swallowed that 'Hook, Line and Sinker'

Take Care

Matt
I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.
My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone.

You are correct mattKnight, got me a big'un

Cranky.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Nope, but if you don't want an answer DO NOT ask the question.

Because I really do not care if something is posted as a childish "watch this" and ask for the grammar errors to be pointed out, ... ...

You WILL get exactly what you ask for, and I will not "feel" that I am been ridiculed. Plus from now on I will be completely justified in patronising you because that is the impression I have of you from now on.

Chris.

Chris -
Instead of "whereas the usage of 'per' on it's own", I believe you meant "whereas the usage of 'per' on its own".
"It's" is a contraction of "it is", whereas "its" is the possessive form showing that something belongs to "it".

At Chris and Carp - LOL (Loving it)

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Instead of "whereas the usage of 'per' on it's own", I believe you meant "whereas the usage of 'per' on its own".
"It's" is a contraction of "it is", whereas "its" is the possessive form showing that something belongs to "it".

Absolutely correct. Thank you point pointing that ironic typographical error out.

Post now corrected.

Chris.

And ... I can assure you that I won't be posting from my phone with predictive on ever again!

Chris.

Predictive can be more than a little annoying - especially since it seems to cloak errors until you press "Return"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back