Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where are we all from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttmac

Technical User
Aug 16, 2002
IE
In the same vein as CajunCenturions post "What does your handle mean?" Where are you based?

Having read TSDragons post "What is the difference?" it struck me that we dont always realise where the person that is helping us is from. We often forget that the helper is asleep when we are posting our questions.

I know that in the past I have received more assistance from complete strangers from all over the world (and often from places I have never even heard of) than I have from people that I work with on a daily basis and who sit beside me.

For what its worth, I'm from Wicklow, which is 30 miles south of Dublin, Ireland.

I'm in Raleigh, North Carolina (yet another of the 13). Not the most exciting place, but I can't complain. Three hours east or west will get me to beaches or mountains, without leaving the state. Family tree shows our first Tar Heel came here from Virginia in 1759. Anglo name, mostly Scottish roots.

Question: what do the red parts of [red]IFSC[/red] Dublin [red]1[/red] mean?

Thadeus- thanks for the lesson on "Keystone." I didn't know that.

Tim

P.S. - Raleigh, as in Sir Walter Raleigh, rhymes with Wally.

[blue]_____________________________________________________
If you need immediate assistance, please raise your hand.
If you are outside of Raleigh, raise your hand and say
[/blue] [red]Ooh! Ooh![/red]

Here's another entry from the US, from the so called Midwest, Topeka Kansas.

It's very interesting how diverse this group is in terms of location!

I'm in Louisiana, specifically the Heart of Acadiana.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

California tuning in. Santa Clarita California. Hawaii up in a few hours;-)

Two strings walk into a bar. The first string says to the bartender: 'Bartender, I'll have a beer. u.5n$x5t?*&4ru!2[sACC~ErJ'. The second string says: 'Pardon my friend, he isn't NULL terminated'.

Fairbanks, the Golden Heart of the interior of Alaska!

And no, I don't live in an igloo!

Know as the being in the heartland of the US, St. Louis Mo.

I grew up in the Philadelphia area, Norristown, the home of Tommy Lasorda.

I have driven the Shure-Kill Expressway, getting on in Conchy (Conshohocken).

Sang with the Wanamaker organ, circa 1957 -- "Meet you at the eagle."

Currently in Fort Worth, Texas, "Cow Town", where EVERYONE, drives a pickup with a gun on the rack, dances at Billy Bobs, chews Skoal and says, "y'all." ;-)

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] When you ignite a firecracker in a bowl of vanilla, chocolate & strawberry ice cream, you get...
Neopolitan Blownapart! [tongue][/sub]

I've been busy today, so I'm joining a bit late....

I, along with SilentAiche, live in Raleigh.

We're 4 1/2 hours South of D.C., 6 Hours NE of Atlanta. It's not a bad town, I'd say. Pop ~ 300,000. It's big enough that there is some night life, but small enough that you might just run into someone you know while out and about. It is the lower right hand corner of 'the Triangle', the other corners being Durham (home of Duke University) and Chapel Hill (home of UNC). Here in Raleigh, of course, we have NCSU. There are several other Universities in the area as well. It's kind of like a smaller, less posh, not-as-cool version of Boston.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue]
[/tt][red]"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."[/red]
-Mitch Hedberg

Help us help you. Please read FAQ181-2886 before posting.

My sig has always carried my location: Sandy, Utah. Sandy is 19 miles southeast of Salt Lake City. Anyone who has ever skied at either Snowbird or Alta ski resorts has passed by my home (be sure to wave next time): we live about 8 minutes from Snowbird and about 14 minutes from Alta.

To make connections with other Tek-Tipsters, I've also lived in these localities during my life: (in cronological order):
Buhl, Idaho
Twin Falls, Idaho
Americus, Georgia
Mountain View, California
Menlo Park, California
Atherton, California
Rugby, England
Daventry, England
Royal Leamington Spa, England
Newcastle-under-Lyme, England
Stafford, England
Longton (S-o-T), England
Sutton Coldfield, England
Perry Barr (Birmingham), England
Lincoln, England
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch, Wales
Beeston (Nottingham), England
Nottingham, England
Sutton Coldfield, England
Orem (Provo), Utah
Sunnyvale, California
Alamo, California
Danville, California
Pleasanton, California
Alpharetta (Atlanta), Georgia
Lehi, Utah
...and finally (currently) Sandy, Utah

Whew...this is the first time I've ever made "the list". So much for letting grass grow under my feet. When we bought our current home, I measured the front door to ensure that it was wide enough to fit my casket through it, 'cause it's the last house I'll live in...I'm done moving.

BTW, time zone here is currently Mountain Daylight Time (GMT+7).

Cheers,

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)

Do you use Oracle and live or work in Utah, USA?
Then click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips.

Dave,

That's a heck of a list (the Georgia entries kind of stand out!)

Think I'll try it:

Shannon, North Carolina
Raleigh, North Carolina
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Raleigh, North Carolina
Rocky Mount, North Carolina
Raleigh, North Carolina

Hmmm, I see a trend here. Must be them roots.

Tim, apparently a (h)omebody.

Portland Oregon, and it's still raining. I think we're famous for the color and quality of the moss that grows on everything, including people that wait at the bus stop for too long.

DonBott

Hi there,

San Jose, Costa Rica. But I was born in Maracaibo, Venezuela.

Austin, Texas here. YeeeeeeeeeeHaaaaa

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

And from the other side of the Pacific from Chacalinc (and a lot further south) Canberra, Australia.

Famous(?) as the Capital City of Australia. Population approx. 300,000.

Timezone is Australian Eastern, so it's coming up on 8.30am on the 14th.

And from the other side of the Pacific from Chacalinc (and a lot further south) Canberra, Australia.

Famous(?) as the Capital City of Australia. Population approx. 300,000.

Timezone is Australian Eastern, so it's coming up on 8.30am on the 14th.

Too many "connections" to mention.

Capital City = Raleigh
Population (of Raleigh) = ~300,000
NC in the States = Eastern, and in the "South"
"Tim E-Zone" - wherever the heck I post from...
First syllable of "Australia": The first word, frequently, from Andy Griffith (a North Carolina native): as in, "Aw, Barney, .... you beat all, you know that?!"

Tim

I guess I'm a couple of steps behind, but I'm on Long Island, New York. Here's a language thing to satisfy Cajun Centurion...I live in New York, but on Long Island, and when Long Islanders queue up, they stand on line, not in line.
Just weird.
Thanks!
Elanor

Any of you Texans know where Snyder is? I lived there for almost two years when I was in 3-4 grade. I still have a bit of Texas accent (especially noticable when we moved back to California). It hardly noticable now that I've lived in Virgina for over 20 years and have picked up the local accent.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Currently living in Nottingham (Long Eaton) UK - after stints in Manchester and Sheffield.

Skip / Mufasa - Nottingham itself is a far cry from what you might expect given the Robin hood stories - Sherwood forest is far smaller now than it was and there have been recent developments that suggest that Robin's hideout would've been nearer to Sheffield than Nottingham - Loxley (his ancestral home) is certainly closer to Sheffield

I agree with Mufasa though - Nottingham is one of the nicer cities in the UK (although not in the city centre at night). I personally prefer Sheffield though - more trees per person than any other city in Europe - lots of parks and you can walk from the city centre, out into the hills of the Peak District in about 30 mins if you know your way around...

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

xlbo's correct about Robin Hood. He seems to have been appropriated by Nottingham because of the Sheriff connection, but supposedly hung out (if you'll pardon the expression) with his merry men to the north of Nottingham, in the part of Sherwood Forest now known as Clumber Park just south of Doncaster. Incidentally, the new airport at Doncaster (the ex RAF Finningley base) is to be known as Doncaster Robin Hood Airport.

Santa - I think the pub you're thinking of is The Trip To Jerusalem? For completeness, my travels (and some travails), have been:

Doncaster, South Yorkshire
Portsmouth, Hampshire
Reigate, Surrey,
Dorking, Surrey
Farnborough, Hampshire
Northallerton, North Yorkshire
Ealing, London
Stockwell, London
York
Guildford, Surrey
West Kilbride, Ayrshire
Linwood, Renfrewshire
Gourock, Inverclyde

I think I'm just about finished with moving too, but who knows!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back